Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 65 gr. Sierra GameKing

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JStor View Post
    Does anyone have any terminal performance experience using the 65 grain Sierra GameKing? I am wondering how it would stack up against the various open tip match bullets recommended.

The search function returns lots of hits for Sierra, but I am not finding any data for the 65 gr. GameKing. I have yet to fire it in an AR platform, but in a bolt action 1/9 twist Winchester 70 heavy barrel it can turn in .5 to .6 inch five round groups at 100 yards.
    Well I have no experience with that bullet in this diamiter but I do recomend the same bullet in 7.62 to alot of guys who are trying to get expansion on game out at the 800M mark. It seems to expand well at the lower impact speeds encountered when a 308win pushes a 200g GK to 800M. I know its not exact but it tells you a little.
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 02-05-12 at 23:21.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Wanted to revive this thread instead of making my own since I had a similar question, but I was wondering if there has been any concensus on whether this round would be a good defensive round to reload?

Doc? Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    We have not tested it.

However, based on other similar non-bonded JSP projectiles, I suspect it will work very well on unobstructed soft tissue shots, but not be ideal against intermediate barriers--somewhat similar to the Win 64 gr PP JSP (RA223R2).

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Thanks Doc!

I forgot the part about this not being a bonded round...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If DocGKR is willing to take the time to do the testing i would send him some 65gr game kings for testing. If there is a factory loading ( i have never found any) i would be willing to purchase them for testing to make things easier.

If DocGKR is willing just e-mail me with the amount of bullets needed for testing and i will get them in the mail.

I understand ballistic gel is not cheap and that is not the only consideration for costs of the test. If there is an interest in doing the tests but some sort of monetary constraint please let me know in the e-mail and i should be able to work something out.

My email is: jstone2246@gmail.com

If interested let me know and ill get them out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    If DocGKR is willing to take the time to do the testing i would send him some 65gr game kings for testing. If there is a factory loading ( i have never found any) i would be willing to purchase them for testing to make things easier.

If DocGKR is willing just e-mail me with the amount of bullets needed for testing and i will get them in the mail.

I understand ballistic gel is not cheap and that is not the only consideration for costs of the test. If there is an interest in doing the tests but some sort of monetary constraint please let me know in the e-mail and i should be able to work something out.

My email is: jstone2246@gmail.com

If interested let me know and ill get them out.
    The only factory load I'm aware of is from Wilson:

.223 Remington Sierra 65gr SBT

The website lists it as "Bill Wilson's "Go To" load for .223/5.56. It's ideal for predators, whitetail deer, and self-defense/tactical applications." I've never seen any testing on it, but given the bullets performance in other calibers I would expect it to perform as well as any other non-bonded .224" bullet.

Hopefully you can get things worked out and get it tested through Dr Roberts as that would provide the best results. If not, I have some gel and may test this bullet at some time in the future but it will be a single test at close range without barrier testing. It would be some data, but not as comprehensive as having the professionals do it.

ETA: The loaded ammo from Wilson is pretty expensive for a bullet that you can get a box of 100 for $18.99 65gr SGK @ Midway. The reviews on Midway have alot of folks talking about deer hunting with them and they seem to be satisfied. That is no substitute for actual testing, but encouraging none-the-less.
    Last edited by Altair; 06-16-12 at 12:13.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the info i have seen other gamekings that were loaded in factory ammo but never the 65.

I always like to get at least a box of ammo that is loaded with a bullet i load. If i have any problems getting them to group well i shoot the factory ammo, and if it groups significantly better i try to replicate it as close as possible.

If it does not group any better which so far has not happened i will give up on the bullet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    The only factory load I'm aware of is from Wilson:

.223 Remington Sierra 65gr SBT

The website lists it as "Bill Wilson's "Go To" load for .223/5.56. It's ideal for predators, whitetail deer, and self-defense/tactical applications." I've never seen any testing on it, but given the bullets performance in other calibers I would expect it to perform as well as any other non-bonded .224" bullet.

Hopefully you can get things worked out and get it tested through Dr Roberts as that would provide the best results. If not, I have some gel and may test this bullet at some time in the future but it will be a single test at close range without barrier testing. It would be some data, but not as comprehensive as having the professionals do it.

ETA: The loaded ammo from Wilson is pretty expensive for a bullet that you can get a box of 100 for $18.99 65gr SGK @ Midway. The reviews on Midway have alot of folks talking about deer hunting with them and they seem to be satisfied. That is no substitute for actual testing, but encouraging none-the-less.

That is way over priced. I can roll my own for just about half that price.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikS View Post
    That is way over priced. I can roll my own for just about half that price.
    I have been rolling my own with that bullet for a while now,and you're right, that is way overpriced for 20 rounds. That bullet is hell on coyotes I can tell you that. I'd expect it to very bad news for two-legged predators as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12