Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brief Review of the Surefire Warden/Blast Diffuser

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Brief Review of the Surefire Warden/Blast Diffuser

Hey Guys

Recently was shopping on BCM's Website when I saw that Surefire's new Warden muzzle device was out. (see link below ) so I ordered it, and low and behold, a week later I had it on my front porch.

http://www.surefire.com/warden.html

I am currently running a surefire socom brake on my M4, so install was a breeze. Slide on, Rotate and then tighten the lock ring. Exactly the same as a Socom Suppressor. ( Hehe for those allowed to have them )

The whole premise behind this item is to provide a QD Shield for the Surefire Socom brakes and flash hiders to cut down on side muzzle blast as well as dust signature reduction when firing from the prone position. Now on to actually shooting the damn thing.

Went out to the range, grabbed some mags and proceeded to start shooting. First I fire 3 ten round rapid fire strings to establish a feel for the recoil impulse using just the brake without the warden installed. I had a fellow Instructor standing at my 3 o'clock for this so he could observe felt muzzle blast as well. To quote, " That thing is obnoxious as **** " After that I installed the warden and loaded up 3 more ten round mags. I fired the same 3 ten round strings with the warden installed on the Socom Brake. Recoil impulse was noticeably different, however nothing more than a standard M4 with an A2 flash hider. The Instructor standing next to me said that the muzzle blast coming to the side was much less and considerably more pleasant to stand near.

I grabbed a new mag, and dropped down to Urban Rollover Prone, and fired off another ten round string with the warden still installed. dust kickup was almost nonexistent compared to the brake. The damn thing does its job very well.

Next I wanted to see if there was any change in POA/POI with or without the Warden installed. I fire a three round group at 50 yds without the warden, the installed and fired another three round group. POI shift was minimal, roughly 1/4 inch if that.

All in all, very impressed! THe Warden does its job excellently. I would highly recommend this if you work in a team environment IE Law Enforcement doing House clearing. It will also make you much more popular on the firing line as you won't be horse kicking your buddy in the face every time you take a shot.

I Apologize for the lack of pictures as I can't get my ****ing phone to upload them.

Regards,

Moose
    Last edited by danieljmaunder; 11-11-15 at 22:23.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I love the idea of these. I hope aac and others follow suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostdarva View Post
    First off I will not shop at a liberal store
    Secondly,
    I will not shop at a store that is named after genitalia.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Are these just to tame down the muzzle brakes or will they help out with a flash hider too?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Are these just to tame down the muzzle brakes or will they help out with a flash hider too?
    Mostly for the brakes to tame the side blast. It will work on the flash hiders also as far as taming dust signature

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    A good flash hider doesn't need "help," and blocking the blast prevents them from doing their job and only concentrates flash.

I think these are pretty much just so non-suppressor owners can have something to fiddle **** with at the muzzle.

I personally think the indoor "muzzle blast" thing is waaaay overplayed, though I do see an advantage if you have a brake on your gun and spend a lot of time doing Costaprone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    A good flash hider doesn't need "help," and blocking the blast prevents them from doing their job and only concentrates flash.

I think these are pretty much just so non-suppressor owners can have something to fiddle **** with at the muzzle.

I personally think the indoor "muzzle blast" thing is waaaay overplayed, though I do see an advantage if you have a brake on your gun and spend a lot of time doing Costaprone.
    AGREE %100.

And if you cover the brakes ports (or comp ports) very closely like SOME OF these things do it practically eliminates the effect of the brake (or comp). yes it directs the blast forward as intended but the recoil reduction concept (or muzzle rise reduction of a comp) of the brake goes out the door.

EDITED
    Last edited by U&A; 11-12-15 at 13:35.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by U&A View Post
    AGREE %100.

And if you cover the brakes ports (or comp ports) very closely like these things do it practically eliminates the effect of the brake (or comp). yes it directs the blast forward as intended but the recoil reduction concept (or muzzle rise reduction of a comp) of the brake goes out the door.
    I can't believe I am taking the time to explain such a simple concept, but love surefire products and this is another much needed and excellent addition to their lineup that myself and many others do not want to see discontinued.

The primary purpose is for RC supressor owners who intelligently select a brake over flash hider for their hosts to save wear on the supressor and add additional suppression.

This product allows you to have your cake and eat it too. Want to be quiet? Wear the can. Want recoil reduction? Take the can off. Want to take your non nfa rifle over state lines and leave the can in the safe? Pop on the warden and save yourself from the scorn of other shooters from blowing them away with an aggressive brake. Have an RC, but need to priotize OAL over suppression? Warden. Have more rifles with SF brakes than RC's? Warden.

What don't you understand?

Feedback Score
    Soooooo..... Spend $150 on a Surefire muzzle device, then another $180 on this to go over it, thus negating why you paid the $150 for the muzzle device.... Just to come full circle and do the same thing an A2 flash hider does for $10? What am i missing here?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t15 View Post
    I can't believe I am taking the time to explain such a simple concept, but love surefire products and this is another much needed and excellent addition to their lineup that myself and many others do not want to see discontinued.

The primary purpose is for RC supressor owners who intelligently select a brake over flash hider for their hosts to save wear on the supressor and add additional suppression.

This product allows you to have your cake and eat it too. Want to be quiet? Wear the can. Want recoil reduction? Take the can off. Want to take your non nfa rifle over state lines and leave the can in the safe? Pop on the warden and save yourself from the scorn of other shooters from blowing them away with an aggressive brake. Have an RC, but need to priotize OAL over suppression? Warden. Have more rifles with SF brakes than RC's? Warden.

What don't you understand?
    I didn't say i don't understand anything.. in fact i said it does what it is intended to do. and i never mentioned anything about a suppressor. I completely understand what you are saying. for someone that will not use a supressor this works good for direction the blast forward..as i said. if you get the kind that go over a brake or comp all i am stating is it effects their abilities and directs it forward instead..

my comment was for thous who don't use a suppressor over it...ever.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KSM View Post
    Soooooo..... Spend $150 on a Surefire muzzle device, then another $180 on this to go over it, thus negating why you paid the $150 for the muzzle device.... Just to come full circle and do the same thing an A2 flash hider does for $10? What am i missing here?
    And why would you buy a surefire muzzle device if you did not have a surefire SUPPRESSOR.

THIS PRODUCT IS FOR BIG BOYS WITH THICK WALLETS WHO OWN SUREFIRE SUPPRESSORS.

if you do not own a supressor or intend to own 1, then I would suggest 1 of BCM's hybrid compensators.

This is a very simple subject. If you don't understand the necessity for this product on the market, don't buy it, but please keep your opinions to yourself.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast