Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tactical/Hunting bolt gun

Feedback Score
    As someone who has hunted mule deer and elk for over 15 years, and competes in the PRS and local matches frequently, I think the Tikka CTR .260 fits the bill really well for a gun that can do both. I've killed elk with a .260 out to 600 yards easily, and i have two buddies who shoot local PRS style matches with a CTR .260 and do very well. The .260 will work great for deer, and can kill elk as well, from my experience.

The upsides of the Tikka:
    - very smooth action right out of the box
    - very accurate, I've personally shot .3 MOA groups at 300 yards with my friend's stock CTR .260 consistently
    - great stock trigger that can be adjusted pretty light, especially if you switch out the spring with an aftermarket spring
    - lightweight stock is great for carrying in the hills
    - bottom metal and 10 round mag included
    - barrel comes threaded for brake or suppressor

Downsides:
    - shorter barrel (20" barrel, wish they made one in 24"), so you will lose some velocity
    - stock isn't bedded, but I haven't seen that affect accuracy AT ALL. Both stock Tikka CTRs i've shot were easily .5MOA guns or less out of the box with hand loads
    - You will need to add an aftermarket scope rail (you can get the EGW heavy duty rail for $69
    - the stock doesn't have an adjustable cheek piece or LOP, but still works fine, and you can add a stock pack or riser if needed

In a nutshell, I think the Tikka CTR is probably the closest you will come to a rifle that can do both pretty well. The new Ruger RPR in 6.5mm might be a great option as well, but will be heavier.

ETA: and if you get more into the competition side of things and want a better stock or chassis, you can drop it into a KRG X-Ray or XLR element for a $600 upgrade. It's a good combo like that.
    Last edited by B Cart; 10-06-15 at 14:04.

Feedback Score
    I'm definitely gonna get rebarreled for 6.5 creedmoor so barrel length will be up to me. I plan on shit canning the stock and barrel so shouldn't I just get the cheapest model?

The CTR also doesn't appear to have a LH option.
    Last edited by graffex; 10-06-15 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    If that's the route you want to go, you can just get a $550 Tikka T3 for the action, get an aftermarket barrel installed, and drop it in a diff stock or chassis. One of my match guns is just that. I bought a T3 lite, scrapped the barrel and had a 24" medium palma barrel installed, and dropped it in a KRG X-Ray chassis with an EGW 20 MOA heavy duty rail. It's not ideal for carrying around all day, but I do hunt with it, and I'm only into it $1,800 without the scope

.pic.jpg

Feedback Score
    Yeah I wouldn't be getting that particular chassis, the stock would have to be better suited to hunting. I know McMillan and a few other make tactical/hunting stocks. Also I wouldn't want a super thick ass bull barrel but something more of a medium profile that doesn't weight a ton but is beefier that a typical hunting barrel.
    Last edited by graffex; 10-06-15 at 14:25.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm going against the grain here but if you are new to long range/precisison I reccomend a Rem 700 in 308. Learn the platform, learn how to range/holdovers, use your optic etc. From there you can determine what kind of stock or chassis you want. As long as you go with at least a 20" barrel you can reach 1000yds no issue; as far as accuracy there are plenty of people achieving sub-moa with match ammo and a bedded stock.

Just my two cents!

-Tim

Feedback Score
    ^^^^^Best advice given^^^^^^

If you want a precision weapon, buy one. If you want a hunting rifle you can get into them easily for $600. Don't Frankenstein stuff around. I've packed a heavy as hell 700 5r in 308 to hunt pigs, it weighs around 14lbs with scope. Was not that bad. Pick one or the other, then save and buy the second, you'll be happy you did. I'd personally say but the precision rifle first, how many times a year do you shoot an elk vs how many times a year do you shoot a precision bolt gun?

Feedback Score
    Just to clarify farther, I'm not new to long range shooting just never owned a capable rig. I have all kinds of long range guns at my disposal to use I'm just ready to get something capable for my own keeping. I have plenty of time behind a .308 bolt gun at 1,000 yards. I do not want a .308. I also want the rifle to be able to do both tasks as I don't feel like the trade offs are bad. The gun will be used for hunting a few weeks out of the year the rest of the time will be punching paper at the range. I have to many other Hobbys/money sinks so I like versatility.
    Last edited by graffex; 10-06-15 at 16:52.

Feedback Score
    Well since you know everything their is to know, why ask?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Well since you know everything their is to know, why ask?
    You should learn to read and not make assumptions.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What the OP is asking for is not unreasonable at all. A quality lightweight precision rifle in a standard caliber that's easily maneuverable for less than 10k complete is absolutely viable. He's not asking for a sub 5 lbs pack rifle able to shoot a hundred rounds in one sitting with no shift for under a grand. Not agreeing with the idea of getting a blemington in a less than optimal caliber and doing strictly the basics for practice does not make him cocky or arrogant. You're last reply was unwarranted.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast