Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New/First Build, waiting to start

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    They are being helpful. They just aren't going to hold your hand while doing it. They will also save you money if you let them. I just did a quick math problem and you're already in the $2,000 range. That doesn't include an optic or the tools to assemble the rifle.

By listing the switchblock and not referencing a plan to shoot it with and w/o a can, you outed yourself a bit as wanting parts that are not not needed and it makes people think you either want "cool guy" parts or you left out key information about your background and how the rifle will be used.

Many of us have been down this road and learned the hard way. We typically have a bin of old parts to show for it. The best advice is what Rob used to have in his sig. Spend $1,000 on a Colt AR and the rest on ammo and a class.

Bottom line is that it's your money. Spend it however you desire, but the advice is based upon the shooter and the rifles intended mission. That's what they provided. I believe out shooting a guy next to you who has a "Gucci" carbine with your stock AR because you trained with it would be very satisfying. Kind of like watching a guy in a recent class who was wearing EVERY piece of kit and clothing Crye sells. He looked cool but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn. The best bbl or trigger won't help a shooter who doesn't have the fundamentals.

Good luck whatever you decide. When you build it, shoot the crap out of it.
    thanks. I know they're being helpful, It's just, I really dislike the people who only get stuff to outdo other people or to look cool, and he implied that I was doing that.

I'm not gonna get the switchblock, I deceided against the CASV, and am waiting on responses on the noveske upper and samson evolution handguard.

Feedback Score
    OP while I understand you want to build your first AR, I think everyone goes through that, what is it gaining you? As has been pointed out your parts list is already about $2k without optic, magazines, ammo, sling, light, or a class to learn how to use it, nor the tools needed to build the carbine (to our knowledge). When you could get a Colt 6720 from G&R for around $1000, or hell even if you want a more tricked out gun a PredatAR for 1500. Both of those options probably fully capable of what you are saying you need it to be capable of.

Leaving you $500-1000 to put towards a longer rail if you need it, an optic, magazines, ammo, sling, light, class, ect... Is it really worth the extra investment to build, when it might be something that in 6months to a year you figure out you want something totally different? I implore you to strongly consider starting out basic, learning the basics and growing from there.

As El Cid stated a lot of us have learned the hard way, and we're just trying to make it easier on you in the long run.
    "I can’t remember a mile in my life that was even mildly amusing"

Feedback Score
    OP

The reply's so far pretty much sum up alot what I was going to say. You said you plan on going into the military, and want to prepare your self for it ie pratice,train, etc ... well I would get your standard military setup carbine and go with that -
    a) you will save your self alot of headache and money
    b) you will get an understanding of what they use in the service
    c) take a class by a reputable company

All that fancy stuff you listed, sorry to say it , your lucky if you get a trijicon on your m4 in your unit, they claim each SOPMOD m4 comes with one but, they dont lol.

do some research on the branch you want to join, see what the low end guys are using and buy to that ... learn how to shoot your weapon and understand it, and all the parts in it, shoot irons for awhile get some basic marksmanship, dont add any fancy stuff until later.

just my 2 cents

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    OP, since this thread hasn't gone the way you intended, I'm curious to know how you thought it was going to go? especially since you haven't really answered any of our questions.

you mentioned going into the military in a few years, what are you doing now?

or the instruction on how to use it.

If you want to be a shooter dumping $3k into a first "build" isn't the way to go, unless you have another $2k for magazines, ammo, training, and practice. I did what you are thinking of doing, I went down that wrong path, and I wish someone had been around to smack some sense into me too.
    What questions haven't I answered?

right now I'm in school/training..

I assumed that the naval special warfare command would teach me how to shoot pretty well, but thats another conversation I don't wanna get into.

You are right, I didn't factor in the price of mags, ammo, targets, etc.

So what you are saying is get a cheap ar and spend the rest of the money on mags,ammo, etc.?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A Colt rifle in the $1000 range is a quality product which will suit the needs of someone learning the system. Do not buy a "cheap" gun. Then spend the rest on etc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's it, a colt plus aimpoint pro will set you back about 1400 including shipping, spend the rest on mags ammo a sling and classes, swap out what you don't like once you have used it enough to know what works and what doesn't. If you want a boutique rifle later on the colt will hold its value well or make an excellent back up.

Feedback Score
    ok guys, you seem to have convinced me to get a colt. $1000 cheaper to start with and add parts to. I just contacted my local CNS metelwerks. Anyone here have any Colt rifles?

Feedback Score
    Yup, that's the best way to go. Check out G&Rtactical or get in touch with Grant here... He has really good pricing on colts. My bad on the earlier recommendation. I didnt realize this was your first AR, just thought it was the first one you were going to build. Shoot it as if first and decide on parts later. All that stuff is better explored when you have an actual idea of what it is you want and need, beyond what your base gun can give you.
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 01-16-12 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
    ok guys, you seem to have convinced me to get a colt. $1000 cheaper to start with and add parts to. I just contacted my local CNS metelwerks. Anyone here have any Colt rifles?
    Smart move.

Yes, I have two Colt 6920's but neither are for sale. I bought them through G&R Tactical about 4 years ago. Grant keeps them around regularly.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
    Congratulations! You've done far better than 99% of the noobs coming here looking for advice on a first AR. If there is one thing life has taught me, simple is better. Welcome to the forums
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast