Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Hornady 5.56mm 55gr GMX

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Just as an FYI, what's the reason for the "heavy restriction"? Too new with high demand...
    Certain loads manufacturers allocate ONLY for LE or Military. BH's, ATK, Winchester, Hornady, etc all do it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Is that bad? I looked at the gel pics on hornady's site but couldn't tell about tumbling.
    I personally think it's bad. I want a bullet that tracks true, and doesn't tumble. I want a proper expanding bullet. Here is what happens when it tumbles:

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Certain loads manufacturers allocate ONLY for LE or Military. BH's, ATK, Winchester, Hornady, etc all do it.
    This is correct, and sometimes, when dealers get ahold of it, they place a premium on it to us dirty civilians, and others sell it for much less mark-up.

http://www.milehighshooting.com/horn...x-tap-barrier/

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This is correct, and sometimes, when dealers get ahold of it, they place a premium on it to us dirty civilians, and others sell it for much less mark-up.

http://www.milehighshooting.com/horn...x-tap-barrier/
    An sometimes non-Hornady LE dealers (which is us) have to get it through back channels where the "dirty" Hornady LE Distributor marks it up (as they know it is rare). On top of that, we waited more than 6 months for our order to be filled. If you don't like our prices, don't buy it, but don't complain when we are the only ones with it in stock for a couple dollars over.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    is this a lack of velocity problem?

I personally think it's bad. I want a bullet that tracks true, and doesn't tumble. I want a proper expanding bullet. Here is what happens when it tumbles:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    An sometimes non-Hornady LE dealers (which is us) have to get it through back channels where the "dirty" Hornady LE Distributor marks it up (as they know it is rare). On top of that, we waited more than 6 months for our order to be filled. If you don't like our prices, don't buy it, but don't complain when we are the only ones with it in stock for a couple dollars over.

C4
    Apologies if my question about why the 70gr GMX is such a unicorn came across as implying that you were gouging. DEFINITELY not meant as such, was truly just wondering why Hornady would take a pass on sales.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr h View Post
    It's a bullet integrity issue. Hits hard, over-expands, frontal area is not symmetrical, tumbles, shears remaining petals. Can be seen in Hornady's LE gel shots, and Black Hill's gel shots, as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mr h View Post

From Hornady's website; testing conducted using 10% ordnance gel.

From Black Hills Ammunition website; testing conducted using 10% ordnance gel.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Is a wound track from a bullet tumbling after entering a target bad? I understand the desire for a bullet that goes straight and true through a target, but wouldn't a wound track that is the length of a bullet end-over-end be acceptable? (not trying to be snarky or obtuse, actually posing a question)

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I have to say I can not discern what you describe in the gel tests by hornady. Molon posted the pics above for everyone. Maybe that bullet is more likely to tumble in a water jug but tracks in gel.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast