Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armakraut View Post
    The type 1 was the original FAL lower receiver, cut to be as lightweight as possible

Type 2's have a little bit of a different cut which was supposed to help the receiver stay together near the end of its life (like the M16A2's lower rear reinforcement vs the M16A1's). I've never seen any evidence to indicate this helped. The rifles will last 20,000+ rounds, which you will never reach, mainly because in todays market that would be nearly $10,000 worth of ammunition. The turkish G1 kits still had plenty of life left in them, and they rode those like cheap whores.

Finally the Type 3 was produced to save on costs, it has practically no lightening cuts anywhere. The last type 3's made where cast, which were no less durable.

Unless you are building an FAL with a type 2 or type 3 kit, I would just get the DSA type 1. It's lighter. If you have a type 2 or 3 kit the lower receivers match the upper receivers in lightening cuts (or lack there of).

The aluminum lowers are way lighter too. Over half a pound, maybe nearly a pound.
    Thanks for the help

T

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The rifles will last 20,000+ rounds, which you will never reach, mainly because in todays market that would be nearly $10,000 worth of ammunition.
    20K seems to be a verrrrrryyy low number. Maybe the barrel will last that long but the receiver should last well beyond that.

Type 1 is more available, Type 2 is more desirable for cool factor. Mainly the decision is if you want a carry handle. Type 1 sometimes has a handle cut and sometimes not, Type 2 always has one.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 03-21-10 at 12:59.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Does anyone have experiance with the DSA ambi safety? I've been backordered for one from DSA for a long time, over eight months. I talked to them again this week and they are not sure when they will be made again.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    Does anyone have experiance with the DSA ambi safety? I've been backordered for one from DSA for a long time, over eight months. I talked to them again this week and they are not sure when they will be made again.
    I had one being left-handed, but I took it off and sold it. The regular safety is pretty ambi-friendly. I didn't see the virtue of a $90 selector.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    20K seems to be a verrrrrryyy low number. Maybe the barrel will last that long but the receiver should last well beyond that.

Type 1 is more available, Type 2 is more desirable for cool factor. Mainly the decision is if you want a carry handle. Type 1 sometimes has a handle cut and sometimes not, Type 2 always has one.
    So that means the DSA STG series will always be type 2 because it
    has a carry handle?

T
    Last edited by tat2; 03-21-10 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    So that means the DSA STG series will always be type 2 because it
    has a carry handle?

T
    No, some type 1s have the cut so it can be either.

If you don't want a cut then you have to get the type 1.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 03-21-10 at 16:24.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    DSA makes receivers without a carry handle cut, but they do (or did) that for every receiver they make. T1, T2, T3 and Inch.

I've never seen an original type 1 receiver without a carry handle cut. I actually can't think of an original FAL that wasn't cut for the carry handle.

Plastic spacers exist that plug up the gap if you take the handle off. I wouldn't buy an FAL that wasn't at least cut for one, it adds some value for people who want to install one if you ever sold the rifle.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    DSA makes receivers without a carry handle cut, but they do (or did) that for every receiver they make. T1, T2, T3 and Inch.

I've never seen an original type 1 receiver without a carry handle cut. I actually can't think of an original FAL that wasn't cut for the carry handle.

Plastic spacers exist that plug up the gap if you take the handle off. I wouldn't buy an FAL that wasn't at least cut for one, it adds some value for people who want to install one if you ever sold the rifle.
    Per Jen at DSA when I ordered my rifles all Type 2s have the carry handle cut. A type 1 may or may not. It actually ended up causing some confusion on my last order.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    FN brought out the Type II receivers when some of the heavy barreled SAW types that they made were cracking their receivers, but that was under sustained full auto fire.

I like the aesthetics of the Type II receiver, but there isn't any practical functional or difference in durability between a Type I or Type II. FN/Browning/Gun South didn't import many Type II guns to the US so they were rare in civilian hands.

Either the TI or TII would be a great choice.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great info guys, sorry to be FAL stupid. So is this AIM rifle type two?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DSASTG58

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast