Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan SBR Law

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I agree with Iraqgunz, there's no sense in doing the 13.7" barrel/KX3 combo when a 14.5"/Vortex (or similar) set-up will yield an upper with the same barrel length and less weight. I lived in MI and would never have bought the 13.7" for the above reason, in addition to not wanting to lose the muzzle velocity of the round.

I live in an SBR-friendly state now so I accept the trade-off of velocity for compactness. But in MI, you gain nothing (other than weight) with the suggested 13.7" configuration.

But then again, I'm more of a function over form kind of person so "it would look cool" isn't a valid reason for me. Function IS cool.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lol this is getting taken way to seriously and off topic from the OP. I completely agree with both of you. I never suggested going with the 13.7 over a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel was superior at all. If I lived in MI... I would move to a different state. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    I agree with Iraqgunz, there's no sense in doing the 13.7" barrel/KX3 combo when a 14.5"/Vortex (or similar) set-up will yield an upper with the same barrel length and less weight. I lived in MI and would never have bought the 13.7" for the above reason, in addition to not wanting to lose the muzzle velocity of the round.

I live in an SBR-friendly state now so I accept the trade-off of velocity for compactness. But in MI, you gain nothing (other than weight) with the suggested 13.7" configuration.

But then again, I'm more of a function over form kind of person so "it would look cool" isn't a valid reason for me. Function IS cool.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I live in MI and have settled on full auto as being the way to have shorter rifles and shotguns. Doesn't work so well if you don't have an SOT, though.

If you want a shorter gun, check out this upper which is legal in MI:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...cm-uh-eag1.htm

Jake

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    I live in MI and have settled on full auto as being the way to have shorter rifles and shotguns. Doesn't work so well if you don't have an SOT, though.

If you want a shorter gun, check out this upper which is legal in MI:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...cm-uh-eag1.htm

Jake
    Question:

How is that Michigan-legal if it's 14.5"? Is it due to the flash hider making up for the 1.5"? Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    If the muzzle device is permanently attached then it counts towards barrel length.

Also realize that MI measures OAL with the stock in it's shortest position IF (and ONLY IF) the rifle is still 'fully operable' in suck a position.

This means a rifle like the Sub 2000 is legal, as when folded it cannot be fired. It still must be registered as a pistol due to OAL when unfolded, however.

Feedback Score
    When a muzzle accessory is permanently attached, it's part of the barrel for OAL consideration. The barrel is considered 16 inches and not an SBR in Michigan. That is simply a waste of money IMO since you are giving up 1.5 inches of rifled barrel yet maintaining the same OAL. You are losing velocity. Since you are limited to a 16 inch or longer barrel in MI (unless FA) I would get a 16 inch barrel and be done with it. No need to complicate things.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Armament View Post
    When a muzzle accessory is permanently attached, it's part of the barrel for OAL consideration. The barrel is considered 16 inches and not an SBR in Michigan. That is simply a waste of money IMO since you are giving up 1.5 inches of rifled barrel yet maintaining the same OAL. You are losing velocity. Since you are limited to a 16 inch or longer barrel in MI (unless FA) I would get a 16 inch barrel and be done with it. No need to complicate things.
    The 14.5" is still shorter, unless the 16" barrel has no muzzle device.

Just because the goobermint considers it 'invisible' if it's not permanently attached doesn't mean it's not there...the OAL of the 16" barrel will be 17"+ with most muzzle devices.

If you want a 14.5" barrel, and have no plans of removing the muzzle device, then I don't see why it's not a viable option. If you're into changing the MD every other week or adding a free float rail after it's pinned then it's probably not the wisest choice. It IS shorter, and if you're never touching the MD anyways I don't get why it's so bad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    The 14.5" is still shorter, unless the 16" barrel has no muzzle device.
    You missed the entire point. 14.5 plus muzzle device to make the barrel a legal 16 inches is still 16 inches. If you're limited to 16 inches of barrel, why would someone want a 14.5 + muzzle device instead of a full 16 inch barrel.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Exactly. Where did the whole necropost come from?

You missed the entire point. 14.5 plus muzzle device to make the barrel a legal 16 inches is still 16 inches. If you're limited to 16 inches of barrel, why would someone want a 14.5 + muzzle device instead of a full 16 inch barrel.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Because it's 1.5" shorter with a MD added...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast