Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Return of the standard A3 AUG - 2017

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I disagree. It's a neat rifle to own as part of a reference collection IMO, much like the FS2000. The Lithgow lacks a quick change barrel, which is one of my favorite AUG attributes. This allows barrel removal and a resultant 22" OAL, with barrel reinstall taking a mere few seconds. An AUG with barrel removed allows it to be stored in a very compact discrete case, bag, backpack, etc. The Lithgow is also (IMO) ugly as can be and it doesn't incorporate anything really novel in the stock - i.e. case deflector, updated mag release (not sure how this would be done, but if redesigning why not improve this), additional sling points, etc. The receiver is plastic and is really just a barrel support and the serial number is on the barrel from what I understand. And then there is the fact that the Aussies initially screwed the pooch in manufacturing the A1 AUG - not confidence inspiring. As a neat reference piece I think it has merit. As a go-to 5.56 I'll pass. Just my opinion, not gospel and ymmv.
    I would think the Lithgow's ability to swap uppers with the barrel, reciever, and optic rail as one peice would be a better advantage than a quick change barrel, also the updated trigger pack and lighter weight would seem to be an improvement over any of the other AUG variants. For me, quick change barrels are advantageous on GPMG's... and thats about it.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MOLON AABE View Post
    I would think the Lithgow's ability to swap uppers with the barrel, reciever, and optic rail as one peice would be a better advantage than a quick change barrel, also the updated trigger pack and lighter weight would seem to be an improvement over any of the other AUG variants. For me, quick change barrels are advantageous on GPMG's... and thats about it.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi
    So what's updated about the trigger pack? The photos I've seen appear to be a standard AUG pack. The quick change barrel is very nice for compact storage without having one's bolt group flopping around unsecured in the bag/case. Do you own a AUG? The reason I ask is because unless you own one it is likely difficult to appreciate the practicality of its QC barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So what's updated about the trigger pack? The photos I've seen appear to be a standard AUG pack. The quick change barrel is very nice for compact storage without having one's bolt group flopping around unsecured in the bag/case. Do you own a AUG? The reason I ask is because unless you own one it is likely difficult to appreciate the practicality of its QC barrel.
    Without having one in front of me to compare it myself I am relying on info from MAC where the trigger is described as being lighter and smoother. And unfortunately I do not own an AUG currently, although Im willing to take donations .

I see the advantage of being able to strip the gun down into two peices for sure, and not have the bolt group clattering about, but you should be able to do the same thing with the F90 ATRAX by closing the takedown button.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Without having one in front of me to compare it myself I am relying on info from MAC where the trigger is described as being lighter and smoother. And unfortunately I do not own an AUG currently, although Im willing to take donations .

I see the advantage of being able to strip the gun down into two peices for sure, and not have the bolt group clattering about, but you should be able to do the same thing with the F90 ATRAX by closing the takedown button.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi
    I don't believe pushing the receiver retaining latch will retain the bolt. It engages the slot in the bottom of the receiver, which sits well below the bolt group. I don't have my AUG in front of me right now, so I can't verify this.

Edit - Come to think of it, I do have a spare AUG stock and bolt group and the retaining latch stays pushed in for storage. The bolt group is not retained.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 12-20-16 at 23:32.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't believe pushing the receiver retaining latch will retain the bolt. It engages the slot in the bottom of the receiver, which sits well below the bolt group. I don't have my AUG in front of me right now, so I can't verify this.

Edit - Come to think of it, I do have a spare AUG stock and bolt group and the retaining latch stays pushed in for storage. The bolt group is not retained.
    Thanks for checking. I've always liked the AUG platform, hope it continues to evolve and stay relevant.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi
    Last edited by MOLON AABE; 12-21-16 at 07:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for checking. I've always liked the AUG platform, hope it continues yo evolve and stay relevant.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi
    Agreed!

Feedback Score
    I have a sample size of AUG's quite a bit larger than most. I can say that there is a distinct spread of variability between trigger feel within those guns. Enough so, that I could hand you one gun and hand you another and you'd probably have the same impression that MAC had.

I'm taking the "improved trigger feel" with a grain of salt for now. BUT we do know that Geiselle has AUG hammerpacks, and the f90 will need compliance parts. A geiselle hammerpack is what I guess will be in the US f90.

One other item about the f90 propaganda, the enhanced bolt release is just the Steyr A3 stock bolt release. The internal design is extremely uncomplicated so I don't think they'd change the design. In fact the button on the side of the stock is either a duplicate or a Steyr part - they're the same.

Still going to have two f90's though.
    Last edited by STG77; 12-21-16 at 07:17.

Feedback Score
    I am in for one

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Whats a good price for a A3 M1 with white stock and 3x optic? Found one locally for $1800, not a fan of the color but will jump if its a good deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnkey11 View Post
    Whats a good price for a A3 M1 with white stock and 3x optic? Found one locally for $1800, not a fan of the color but will jump if its a good deal.
    That is a smoking good price. Buy it.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 03-06-17 at 19:25.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast