Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help out a Bolt gun idiot

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    In my opinion the absolute best/top of the line rings and bases are those from Badger Ordance. However, I cannot afford to personally purchase Badger Ordance so I use Seekins Precision. Its very close in terms of quality and fit and has never let me down. Seekins is very very high quality and substantially cheaper in price.
    I have Badger bases and rings on my bolt guns, and have been pleased with them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My son just bought a Vortex Viper from Camera Land, as they are on sale with free shipping. He received his in a few days, even though it says March for delivery.

http://cameralandny.com/products.htm...evance&x=0&y=0

P.S.- You made a killing on that rifle.
    Last edited by darr3239; 02-14-17 at 00:47.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would get a Vortex Gen II 5x25 or a 6x24 PST. I would also ensure that you got a FFP.

The Vortex PST are selling for around $800 on the hide all the time. I sold one for $760 shipped.

As far as rings you cannot beat the Vortex Precision Matched rings or the Seekins Precision rings (they are the same).

For ammo Federal gold metal match 168 unless your shooting past 800 then get the 175 SMK and be done. The ammo you bought is blasting ammo but I would expect it to be too accurate.

If you are Mil/LEO call Doug at camera land and he will really take care of you.

^^^ shameless pic of my rifle so you at least know I know a little something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    OP, you scored a great deal if that rifle only has one box of ammo through it as advertised.

You will need at the very least:
    1. Rings: I prefer the American Rifle Company M10 rings, as they are a very well designed ring, and different from anything else on the market. There are plenty of other great options on the market as well, Bader Ord, Nightforce, Seekins etc. You will need to decide if you want the individual rings, or a unimount type ring mount. If using individual rings, then you need to check that your scope base sits flat on the receiver and isn't bending, and in turn bending the scope when you tighten everything down.

2. Optic. There is a whole world of great scopes at different price points on the market. It really depends on your price range. You will hear a lot of opinions and brand preferences. I'd recommend something that is FFP, and either in the 4-16 range up to the 5-25 mag range. You can always lower the magnification with a FFP to where it is useable. I'd look at the forthcoming Vortex PST II line, for great band for the buck.

3. Ammunition. That ammo that you have can be fired trough your gun, but there isn't much point in doing that except for maybe wearing the throat in for break-in purposes. The jacket material may leave minor deposits that may hinder accuracy in the short term, and you wont get optimal accuracy from that ammo anyway. If you need to use factory ammo take a look at Prime ammo, their 308 load is supposed to be quite good.

4. Cleaning gear. Proper cleaning equipment for a precision gun is a bit more demanding than your average cleaning kit. You'll need at caliber specific, coated, or non-embedding cleaning rod. Patch jag (I prefer a pierce type), proper size patches, and brushes (I like the nylon bristle type). A proper bore/rod guide; Lucas guides are excellent.

I'd also look into a muzzle brake since your barrel is already threaded. They increase noise to the sides of the gun, but make the gun much more enjoyable to shoot.

If you want a different scope rail, take a look at Precision Armament. They have a very nice alloy model, that uses an integral recoil lug. Badger Ord, Seekins, and Nightforce are also well made bases.

Since it is barely fired, you'll have about 100-200 rounds where the barrel will be breaking/settling in. The throat will be smoothing out, as will some rough spots in the bore. Those Remington barrels can be quite rough on the inside.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would buy a used PST off the hide and call it a day. That rifle is in the blaster category in terms of precision. You will just have to find the ammo it likes best. You already stated your rather nubbish on bolt guns, and know/have little use for one. However, it is one of the best financial decisions you can make for an entry level gun. The key is to not spend tons of cash on it, for you will never get it back.

If in a year or two...the long range bug hits you...well then consider having one built in a caliber you choose. Right now, your in the best bang for the buck wagon...enjoy it.

Congrats on a nice find.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    That rifle is in the blaster category in terms of precision.
    I'd disagree with that. Unless it is a bit of a lemon that doesn't like any ammo particularly well, it should acceptable for the capabilities of that cartridge and barrel length.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Gentlemen, thank you all for the advice. I haven't been around as much the last few days due to some things with my work, however I am going to take the time to read through the replies and go from there. I am sure I will have some additional questions once I do.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12