Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranger T-Series 127gr +P+ vs. Windshield- Deflection and Gel Test

Feedback Score

Ranger T-Series 127gr +P+ vs. Windshield- Deflection and Gel Test

I originally wanted to make a video showing the counterintuitive deflection of a bullet through a windshield, but I decided to grab a partially used gel block on the way out the door. I'm glad I did.

Note that I'm shooting from the outside of the windshield in just because it is easier to set up for a gel test. I will soon do the video I originally wanted to do, showing deflection from both sides of a windshield and comparing the deflection of different bullet types.

I will also repeat this test with other rounds, such as the Federal HST and the CorBon DPX.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Great video. Looks like these do well against auto glass regardless of jacket separation. If the test were to be repeated several times over the results would probably be different every time. How do these stack up to other defensive rounds in relation to control and consistency? (Sorry if I messed that part as my internet isn't the best)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Awesome! I think these kind of vids are the next generation in ammo testing. Everyone has done gel and gel with heavy clothing. Now bring on the barriers!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubber3 View Post
    Great video. Looks like these do well against auto glass regardless of jacket separation. If the test were to be repeated several times over the results would probably be different every time. How do these stack up to other defensive rounds in relation to control and consistency? (Sorry if I messed that part as my internet isn't the best)
    I will be doing tests with other brands in the future. According to others I have spoken with, there are a few choices that do much better than this round, including the 40S&W 165gr T-Series, believe it or not.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Really? I have an entirely different opinion. It did NOT do well. On top of this, the bullet is going to behaved erratically (read differently) every time it passes through the glass.

This is why bonded bullets are becoming more and more popular in LE as the jacket stays with the lead slug.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Any time there's a chance of encountering intermediate barriers like auto glass, a bonded bullet is definitely the better choice.

I've shot some hogs with Gold Dot, Ranger T, SXT and HST and they all performed pretty equally. Had I stuck a windshield in front of them, the Gold Dot would have been the best performer.

Here's a pic of four that went through the shoulder of a hog and embedded in the hide through the other shoulder. I mistaken loaded SXT in place of the Ranger T series. I don't have a pic, but the T series is more consistent and the talons are more exposed.

In my experience shooting auto glass, we still see somewhat similar deflection with the bonded bullets, but it's more consistent and and since it stays in tact, we can assume it's also more consistent on the target behind the auto glass.

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 01-08-14 at 13:22.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Really? I have an entirely different opinion. It did NOT do well. On top of this, the bullet is going to behaved erratically (read differently) every time it passes through the glass.

This is why bonded bullets are becoming more and more popular in LE as the jacket stays with the lead slug.

C4
    The bullet was able to go through auto glass and penetrate the ballistic gel adequately. Did the jacket stay on? No... Did it have effect on target? Yes... It did well IMHO

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The bullet was able to go through auto glass and penetrate the ballistic gel adequately. Did the jacket stay on? No... Did it have effect on target? Yes... It did well IMHO
    Did you fire multiple rounds? In my experience, the problem with non bonded bullets isn't just the separation, but the fact that they deflect differently from shot to shot more so than bonded bullets which obviously stay together, but also have a very predictable POI shift.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

First lets cover the fact that handgun rounds SUCK. They suck fully intact. They suck even more (read ineffective) when the jacket is missing.

The lead bullet entered the gel at a good length, but ideally you want 12 inches of penetration with the all parts intact for optimal damage. I don't think we got that kind of length. Keep in mind, the gel had no covering on it. Put a jean jacket and sweatshirt over it and lets see what we get.

As we kind of saw in the Vid, you can shoot a windshield 10 times and get 10 different outcomes. Meaning, very erratic flight paths. This is not a good thing.

This is why bonded ammo is king when shooting through barriers.

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I do have to say, you do make some very nice videos. Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast