Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ion Bond

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Here's a Melonite QPQ'ed Kimber Custom II.
    Who Melonite QPQ'ed your Kimber?

Ballpark cost (if you willing to share)?
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I had Drake Oldham (Drake's Gunworks) do three pistols for me. He no longer offers refinishing services for pistols he doesn't build. Coal Creek Armory (http://www.coalcreekarmory.com/) offers Meolonite QPQ services. Both of the above gunsmiths send the parts to companies that provide the Melonite QPQ finishing. Do a search on the internet for a company that does it in your state. Here in Ohio we have H&M Metals Processing. If you can do you own gunsmithing and have access to one of these metal finishing companies, that would be a less expensive route.

Drake did my pistols for approx $175 ea. Coal Creek advertises $200 for a complete pistol with bead blasting and minor flaw removal. I opted not to get the bead blasting. If you want a dull matt finish, bead blasting is the way to go.
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 08-05-09 at 11:57.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Singlestack Wonder.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    We found out that Meloniting barrels of small bore calibers does not lend itself to accuracy. Works fine with things like 308, 6.5, 9mm, 45, etc.

C4
    Have you tried IonBond on SS yet?

S/F
    Dozer
    Product Manager at Magpul Industries

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Wes @ MSTN has been sending kit to IONBond for QUITE awhile now. Before IONBond was even really brought up in public venues.

He's got alot of kit out through his doors with success.

The last upper I had him assemble had IONBonded CH, BCG, Barrel, and switch block.

Its has been, simply neglected maintenance/cleaning wise.

So far good to go with some slip.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 08-06-09 at 15:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    Wes @ MSTN has been sending kit to IONBond for QUITE awhile now. Before IONBond was even really brought up in public venues.

He's got alot of kit out through his doors with success.

The last upper I had him assemble had IONBonded CH, BCG, Barrel, and switch block.

Its has been, simply neglected maintenance/cleaning wise.

So far good to go with some slip.
    Would that include the chamber also, and if so, are there any advantages to it?

S/F
    Dozer

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    negative on the chamber.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info Derek.

S/F
    Dozer

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've had IB do Tungsten DLC on a couple of stainless guns. Our first LTW project gun for americansnipers.org was a carbon-steel Springfield that I sent to Metaloy and then had it DLC'd after that to really max out the corrosion protection. My results from IB have been really good with regards to the finish.

Pics 54 and 55 on my gallery page show a stainless 1911 DLC'd (lower pistol). http://www.m-guns.com/gallery.php

Here are some pics of "4TC1s", the project gun:
    http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/...hp?f=13&t=5981

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I am in the process of doing Melonited BCG's and barrels. What is great about Melonite is that I can do the outside and inside of SS barrels. My theory is that I should be able to get the accuracy of SS with the longevity of chrome lined barrel.

C4
    Is the Melonite prosses the same as a Mikronite prosses? Not sure if it has been mentioned yet. http://www.mikronite.com/overview.asp

People have been using Mikroniting for a while now to improve streangth and longevity of transmission and rear axle components for race car aplications. Makes the surface "as smooth as glass" Less friction build up between gears, better lubrication. Could work for weapon components as well...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast