Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Palmetto State Armory: problems with their components and customer service

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    i got a upper from PSA for the FN barrel and its been 100%, i also purchase ammo alot from them.

on the note of barrels yall should look at this thread

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/5...OU_DECIDE.html

Wow just WOW!! I am actually pleased to hear that as it confirms what I have learned through my own research and experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    More to the point, each of these smaller companies starts small and is doing a great job, then hits the expansion phase where they get discovered, inundated with orders, hit with backlogs of orders and snarls of their supply chain because of the volume, and consequently either quality, QC, or availability suffers - then they emerge from it better, but usually without the reputation that got them that original acclaim.

When they're in that stage, usually it's not worth it, but that is what I've had to discover myself.
    I suspect that this is the likely explanation.

A business that is going for a foothold, pricing that is so low that they are probably barely covering operating expenses to get more business, then hit that seasonal time of year where everyone and their neighbor blow their savings for a gift to someone or themselves. Suddenly your staff of 10 can not handle the workload of 50. You go on a quick hiring spree, people that were doing specific jobs are now in charge of a crew of 5+ to do the same job...whammo issues start appearing because there was the "Sink or Swim" training.

Incorrect gas tubes - PSA responded promptly, fired the person responsible, changed their procedures, took care of those affected and went on with life.

Poor QC in the armory - probably some guy that got hired because he worked for another gunsmith, or "I've been working on guns for the last 15 years, I know what I'm doin'."

Pay scale is probably crap - ergo you can't keep the quality people long. I worked for a diesel shop that had zero warranty returns, and a ton of repeat business. We repaired vehicles that the auto dealerships, and a local supposedly top notch performance shop (don't buy purple) could not fix, or screwed up. I left after 2.5 years because there were kids that graduated with me from the local tech school that were making more doing oil changes at a fleet shop, and I am doing master level engine repairs. First time in my life I changed jobs and increased my pay $4 an hour into a position that had very little to do with my specialty (my employer knew this when they hired me). I keep in touch with them, they still do top notch work, and still have a high turnover. The good ones only stay for a couple of years and move on, the bad ones get tossed in short order.

I too had horrible customer service from them, as I posted in another thread. Ordered an auto BCG, stripped lower, LPK and grip. Took two days for them to get back to me to verify that they received my FFL's fax, and then it was "If they sent it, we have it". UPS shipping tag was created then they sat on it for IIRC 2 weeks. The order got split into two shipments (I requested that the entire order be shipped to my FFL), and it was not until I received my LPK & BCG did another shipping tag get created for my lower, and again, they sat on it for over a week. Only one reply to my emails about the order status. OK fine, holiday season.

The quality of my parts received to my untrained eye appear to be very good BCG has the MP stamp, 500 rounds down the pipe using Gunzilla wiped dry everywhere but the rails and the piston (light film) and there is little to no wear on the parts. Only 2 fail to feeds using reman LC ammo, that may have been the mag. Bolt is still smooth in function, trigger is still crisp, the Vltor MUR upper is nice and snug on the lower.

Me, not happy with the CS, but the components are great, and when/if I build another rifle, I will do business with them again.

This is one forum, with a few bad experiences, out of the entire nation. Hopefully they will get their shit together, address the problem areas, and these issues will be few and far between.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    I don't think that's been the case. The point people have been trying to make is that just because FN makes barrels for them doesn't automatically mean that they're made to TDP specs. Of course this doesn't make it automatically untrue either. Unless Palmetto or FN coughs up a P.O. and doc pack we may never really know...
    Very true - I've always said in these damn threads that full disclosure would be their best friend right now as speculation is rampant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I suspect that this is the likely explanation.

A business that is going for a foothold, pricing that is so low that they are probably barely covering operating expenses to get more business, then hit that seasonal time of year where everyone and their neighbor blow their savings for a gift to someone or themselves. Suddenly your staff of 10 can not handle the workload of 50. You go on a quick hiring spree, people that were doing specific jobs are now in charge of a crew of 5+ to do the same job...whammo issues start appearing because there was the "Sink or Swim" training.

Incorrect gas tubes - PSA responded promptly, fired the person responsible, changed their procedures, took care of those affected and went on with life.

Poor QC in the armory - probably some guy that got hired because he worked for another gunsmith, or "I've been working on guns for the last 15 years, I know what I'm doin'."

Pay scale is probably crap - ergo you can't keep the quality people long. I worked for a diesel shop that had zero warranty returns, and a ton of repeat business. We repaired vehicles that the auto dealerships, and a local supposedly top notch performance shop (don't buy purple) could not fix, or screwed up. I left after 2.5 years because there were kids that graduated with me from the local tech school that were making more doing oil changes at a fleet shop, and I am doing master level engine repairs. First time in my life I changed jobs and increased my pay $4 an hour into a position that had very little to do with my specialty (my employer knew this when they hired me). I keep in touch with them, they still do top notch work, and still have a high turnover. The good ones only stay for a couple of years and move on, the bad ones get tossed in short order.

I too had horrible customer service from them, as I posted in another thread. Ordered an auto BCG, stripped lower, LPK and grip. Took two days for them to get back to me to verify that they received my FFL's fax, and then it was "If they sent it, we have it". UPS shipping tag was created then they sat on it for IIRC 2 weeks. The order got split into two shipments (I requested that the entire order be shipped to my FFL), and it was not until I received my LPK & BCG did another shipping tag get created for my lower, and again, they sat on it for over a week. Only one reply to my emails about the order status. OK fine, holiday season.

The quality of my parts received to my untrained eye appear to be very good BCG has the MP stamp, 500 rounds down the pipe using Gunzilla wiped dry everywhere but the rails and the piston (light film) and there is little to no wear on the parts. Only 2 fail to feeds using reman LC ammo, that may have been the mag. Bolt is still smooth in function, trigger is still crisp, the Vltor MUR upper is nice and snug on the lower.

Me, not happy with the CS, but the components are great, and when/if I build another rifle, I will do business with them again.

This is one forum, with a few bad experiences, out of the entire nation. Hopefully they will get their shit together, address the problem areas, and these issues will be few and far between.
    A very logical point of view, of which I agree.
    BE AN ORGAN DONOR.
    You can give the gift of life to as many as 50 people!
    It takes less than 3 minutes to register.
    Go to: http://donatelife.net/register-now/

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    I don't get an argument about pay scale as being an excuse, when the other manufacturers likely have similar pay scales, but I admit I don't know much about the industry. In my industry, we all have the same pay scale, but some places have cultures of quality product and service, some don't.
    Last edited by djegators; 02-05-12 at 08:51.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Friend of mine picked up a complete lower from them. The mag well is not beveled and mags fit tight.

Buy cheap cry twice. Buy quality cry once.

I tried to tell him but he would not listen.

Feedback Score
    Though I have only ordered from PSA maybe 4 or 5 times, and all was ammo, I have nothing to complain about. Orders were correct, and they always had them shipped out in two days or less. I probably wouldn't buy their weapon components for SERIOUS use, but I would buy them any day of the week over a DPMS or bushmaster.

But let's be honest here. The main reason PSA is given so much mixed criticism is both their low prices and the few QC slip ups that happened not to long ago. They are a new and emerging company trying to play with the big boys, so of course they're not given a fair trial in the public market. They seemed to have fixed their problems, and are turning out a fairly good product. Is their CS the best? Maybe not. But then again, maybe they don't have the manpower to conform to every need of the impatient customer who didn't get a order confirmation the next morning so has to call to check on its status.

Companies can't fill orders with the phones ringing constantly and the email inbox being blown up.
    Last edited by GeorgiaBoy; 02-05-12 at 10:45.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    I agree, it has been my experience as well, that they have done a very poor job of planning their operations and staffing to meet the needs of their marketing.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djegators View Post
    I agree, it has been my experience as well, that they have done a very poor job of planning their operations and staffing to meet the needs of their marketing.
    I agree, its mostly growing pains.

My upper i have is put together perfectly and everything is in spec so i know itll last. Ive also purchased a ton of ammo from them and always had good experiences.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy View Post
    But then again, maybe they don't have the manpower to conform to every need of the impatient customer who didn't get a order confirmation the next morning so has to call to check on its status.

Companies can't fill orders with the phones ringing constantly and the email inbox being blown up.
    90% of the bitching I've witnessed. Or don't understand that the shipping label is made before the item is shipped..... it states it takes 7-15 business days to ship....please allow more time for holidays specials....

Ordered my upper....next morning got a shipping label, was charged out of my account.....no tracking #.....days later still no tracking # WTF!......these Mother Fu.....wait....

"OH snap, it's only been 4 BUSINESS days (website says 7). They must make a shipping label when the order is prosessed (hence debtit card charged)....did I email three times in two days? did I call six times and hour? EXPECTING something NO! I was patient and new it would get here, after thinking things out of how they do work shipping......

But that's not how most people think anymore....INSTANT gratification damnit!

B
    Last edited by Breadstick; 02-05-12 at 15:20.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast