Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First 1911 recommendations

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    No need to spend all that money and then send it back for more mods. Check out an American Classic II for About $500.00 which comes with most of the mods from the factory and is competitive right out of the box. Here is mine with the first target I shot resting on the bench at 25 yds. only shot 7 shots because that was all that was in the magazine. The only thing I changed was the grips which cost $26.
    How many rounds have you put through it?

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    How many rounds have you put through it?
    More than 1,000. If you find one in a store compare how tight the action is compared to all the others they have. Then check out Buds.
    Last edited by gt40; 05-03-14 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Magic_Salad0892;1726023]
    Stick to Wilson ETM 7/8 rounders. I like 8. Wilson Combat ETM 8 rounder magazines make my RIA 1911A1 government run flawlessly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Loads of good info here.

Recently I got the idea in my head that I would like to add a 1911 to my handgun line up. It will not be my primary fighting gun, that role is filled by my M&P9. I know myself, and I know that I hate cleaning guns. For this reason and because the dietary habits of a 1911 are more expensive than of a 9mm, this would not be my high volume training platform.

I am looking at the Colt Rail Guns. I have my eye on the black on black, aluminum frame 5" version. It's in my price range and will allow me to place a light on the gun. If for any reason in some unforeseen SHTF scenario I have to switch to the 1911, I would like to make sure I can have a light on it.

What is the general opinion of the Colt Rail Guns?
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Colt rail guns are great, but I'd go steel frame over aluminum. Aluminum is fine for race guns, but if you're just buying one, go steel.
    Life is full of choices. I choose Noveske.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Loads of good info here.

Recently I got the idea in my head that I would like to add a 1911 to my handgun line up. It will not be my primary fighting gun, that role is filled by my M&P9. I know myself, and I know that I hate cleaning guns. For this reason and because the dietary habits of a 1911 are more expensive than of a 9mm, this would not be my high volume training platform.

I am looking at the Colt Rail Guns. I have my eye on the black on black, aluminum frame 5" version. It's in my price range and will allow me to place a light on the gun. If for any reason in some unforeseen SHTF scenario I have to switch to the 1911, I would like to make sure I can have a light on it.

What is the general opinion of the Colt Rail Guns?
    Lots of good stuff on them here. I love mine and I know Grant just got some in for around $1050. Many here think a comparable Springfield will have slightly more perks, but it seems to be a pretty damn close margin. I chose Colt only because of the brand name. I figured if I was going to have a 1911 that was more for nostalgic purposes, it should be a Colt, especially since my dad has one from the 40s. My only compliant is the safety. It was a little harsh for my hand so I had it replaced with a Wilson BP single sided version. I think I have around 3,500 rounds through mine and have been very happy. And just like most guns, if its a decent one, it'll keep going with all kinds of carbon in it.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiflemanBobcat View Post
    Personally, though I have never shot one, I find the Colt Series 70 reissue rather drool-worthy.

The fact that Colts have a good rep is icing.
    The 70 reissue really is drool-worthy. The only modification it needed was the hammer to avoid the bite.
    Last edited by PLCedeno; 03-27-15 at 06:36.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have a O1991 Colt on the way. Just because I've never owned a 1911 and figured I can't go wrong with a Colt. Thought long and hard about a Springfield Milspec, Range Officer, or Loaded, but for $700 Colt won out.

I'll be a range toy and safe queen, just to have and enjoy occasionally, as well as learn the weapon and shoot with my son. Only mod I plan to make is some Colt medallion grips and the MSH (if it is plastic). Maybe that'll change in time, but maybe not. It'll be shot but not abused. That is what the HK45C is for, along with my other hard use handguns. This is just because there is something to an all metal and wood firearm, and something to having an American Icon, made in America.

Feedback Score
    Good choice. How about a picture.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    Good choice. How about a picture.
    It'll be here next week, will be sure to update the photo threat.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast