Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Closer look at the SIG 516...Still not impressed

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That IS a LWRC bolt. I have hear there is already some legal WTFs over that. I'll stick with my LWRCs.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by welchtactical View Post
    That IS a LWRC bolt. I have hear there is already some legal WTFs over that. I'll stick with my LWRCs.
    Is it an illegal copy or a licensed copy or an actual LWRC bolt?

Another dumbass move by Sig, regardless on the 516.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It does have an H-buffer and what appears to be a milspec receiver extension tube. That's at least two check marks for "The Chart."

Also, it does look like the top of the gas block and rail/upper receiver are all same-plane.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post

Ok, the first time this issue surfaced, it was because SIG's 516 showed up in American Rifleman, with pictures of what was clearly an LWRC bolt and bolt carrier. LWRC took the thread down shortly after confirming that it looked like SIG had just straight up bought a Bolt carrier from LWRC, and had submitted the 516 to a major publication for review - with their bolt carrier in it. If you google LWRC and Sig 516, I'm sure you can find Google's cache of the original thread.

Shortly thereafter, LWRC filed suit against SIG.

This bolt carrier, in these pictures, appears to be a non-LWRC carrier, but the features do appear to be similar -fluted carrier boss, tombstone piston interface, etc.

I have no affiliation with LWRC or SIG, for the record, I just followed this news carefully, because I was pretty aghast as the stunt SIG had pulled.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Sig!

I have to mirror the response in that I love my Sig handguns but their ARs do nothing for me. I owned a Sig 556 and couldn't sell that thing fast enough. Proprietary parts galore and heavy for what it was. I can appreciate the design though as the 556 was more a copy or the original Sig AR platform.... just a bastard child of it. If you're going to do a piston rifle properly you have to depart from the Stoner design ie. AK-47, FAL, original Sig. Now we have another gas piston rifle based on a design that wasn't meant to be piston driven..... stop it !!! Also, I don't see the appeal in a rifle where I can't buy replacement parts easily.

I believe Eugene Stoner was working with Knights Armament to continue refining the development of the AR-15 which is where the SR-15 came from. He never saw the need for a piston to run the gun efficiently.

Are you able to use standard mil-spec parts on this rifle ( besides the bolt/carrier and gas system)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by benthughes View Post
    I have to mirror the response in that I love my Sig handguns but their ARs do nothing for me. I owned a Sig 556 and couldn't sell that thing fast enough. Proprietary parts galore and heavy for what it was. I can appreciate the design though as the 556 was more a copy or the original Sig AR platform.... just a bastard child of it. If you're going to do a piston rifle properly you have to depart from the Stoner design ie. AK-47, FAL, original Sig. Now we have another gas piston rifle based on a design that wasn't meant to be piston driven..... stop it !!! Also, I don't see the appeal in a rifle where I can't buy replacement parts easily.

I believe Eugene Stoner was working with Knights Armament to continue refining the development of the AR-15 which is where the SR-15 came from. He never saw the need for a piston to run the gun efficiently.

Are you able to use standard mil-spec parts on this rifle ( besides the bolt/carrier and gas system)?

A few days ago the local shop asked me if I wanted to take some photos of the Sig 516. I was like sure, not a problem. Being critical of Sig products since its "Kimberization" I remember not too long ago this was the company that screwed up building a 1911....................

The above pictures that the OP posted are the ones that I took.

That said I was actually pretty impressed with my particular sample. Fit and finish were nice. The sling swivels on the receiver as well as the adjustable gas block were a nice touch. The lower receiver is standard as shown and will take your regular parts kits. I am not sure if the receiver extension was mil-spec or commercial. The upper receiver and quad rail "go-together" as shown in the pictures above but I dont think there is anything that will not allow you to change out parts as long as it is compatible with the piston system.

The piston system looks like an Adam Arms set-up. I was only at the shop for a short period of time so I did not get a chance to take apart the piston. The gun looks well made, is light for a piston system and set up nicely. I owned a LWRCI M6A2 and dumped it to go back to the traditional DI system. The one thing I did not like about the LWRCI was the quad rail and the weight. Over all is was an excellent rifle and was a close second behind my Noveske in terms of accuracy.

I personally think that Sig did a good job on this rifle however I do not agree with them using the LWRCI BCG if they did not license that particular part from them.

The finish was excellent, the upper and lower receiver were tight the rifle was not too heavy and it came with a sling, the QD Swivels and a few other goodies. It would have been nice to see them ditch the RDS for a set of nice Troy front and rears.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post

I have yet to hear why anyone should get a SIG 516 over an MRP.
    Completely different price points and the MRP is a monolithic rail.

If I wanted to go piston and could not afford the MRP I would consider the 516. With the Sig you get a little more bang for your buck but with the MRP you get the LMT name and known quality and perhaps a few extra ounces.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If female sling sockets are not anti rotation, they are worthless.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    If female sling sockets are not anti rotation, they are worthless.
    Knew a lady like that and then I said "I do!" What a worthless mistake!

OUT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post

i think you are right about lwrc -real name of the parent company is matech the maker of them sights -watch the video/media part of their web site --what's in the bed of the gun world is wild and woolly under covers !

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast