Thread: Anyone reload .223 with IMR 4064?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Anyone reload .223 with IMR 4064?

i have a bunch of this for reloading .308.

i think i have seen one recipe calling for 25.8 grains of IMR 4064 (+Remmy 7.5 primers) to push a 55 gr fmj bullet.

any thoughts before i try it out on some older powder? will be shooting it out of a standard (civilian legal) carbine length m4.

thanks.

-slut
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post

i think i have seen one recipe calling for 25.8 grains of IMR 4064 (+Remmy 7.5 primers) to push a 55 gr fmj bullet.

any thoughts before i try it out on some older powder? will be shooting it out of a standard (civilian legal) carbine length m4.

thanks.

-slut
    I have no experience with it but that is a comparatively slow powder. It won't be ideal with 55gr slugs. If it works with 223, the 7x grain slugs would be a better candidate.

It is (or at leased used to be) the 308 gold standard though.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    It's listed in the Sierra manual for 55 - 80 grain bullets; velocities are on the low side compared to more common .223 powders.

I once used 4064 for 7.5 Swiss, but never for .223. I hate the stuff due to the large size grains and poor metering.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    interesting. thx.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    Yes I've used IMR4064 in .223 and I agree with Shootist it's a little slow, fair accuracy seemed to do better with 70+ gr bullets!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post

thanks.

-slut
    I'd save the 4064 for the long range bolty sticks and go with the more traditional AR loads using any number of the better suited propellants.
    What You Think About You Do ... What You Do You Become.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    "A nation of sheep . . . begets a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat for lunch.
    A Republic, built on support for man's individual Liberty, is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure I would even try to use it with 55gr, its just so grainy it doesn't go well in a 223 case. I have used it once because it was the only powder that would light some old 63gr m856 tracer pulls I had. Its not efficient in 223 but it lit the stink out of those old tracers.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I have used it for 55 gr loads. I picked up a pound of it because my Speer books said that I can use it for bothe 55 and 62. It worked fine and I didnt notice anything drastically different from it and the factory rounds I was using. I will say that I wont use it anymore due to it being a cylinder shaped powder and I prefer something with smaller grains.

OK so after some more reading, and picking up a pound of Accurate 2230, thats going to my new favorite powder. Looks like the rest of my IMR will get loaded up shot and going with the new stuff
    Last edited by sapper36; 04-10-11 at 12:24.
    USMC MSGT Ret. 1371

SEMPER PARATUS Certified AR-15 Armorer

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton