Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Closer look at the SIG 516...Still not impressed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One of my complaints with the 516 was the fact that the gas valve became difficult to adjust and/or remove once the valve body was fouled. I see with some interest that SIG has changed the gas block and valve on the 516 to resemble that used on the 716.

The valve on the 716 has lugs rather than threads that hold it in the block. Depressing a detent and rotating the valve 180-degrees frees the lugs from the block and it has been my experience that the 716's valve is easily removed.

I'm glad to see this change to the 516. I'll have to see if I can't find a fair price on one of the new style rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whitey615 View Post
    I recently sold it to a friend of mine to fund a colt, but in the time I owned it I had no issues with it.
    Funny thing tho...I was at the range last week with the guy I sold it to and it had a fail to fire while he was shooting it. We looked at the primer and it was definately a light strike. It may have been caused by the jp springs in it.

I really liked the gun but I finally saw the "light" and went back to a battle proven DI Colt.
    Correct, the light primer strike on steel ammo is due to the JP hammer spring which are made specifically for JP hammers. The instructions with the spring set also state this. I did lots of research before installing the JP reduced power spring kit on my 516 and my friends M&P15. Please notify the guy and tell him that he needs to replace the JP hammer spring with the factory mil spec hammer spring that was shipped with the 516. Only use the JP trigger spring from the spring set if you are not using JP trigger components to avoid light primer strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    One of my complaints with the 516 was the fact that the gas valve became difficult to adjust and/or remove once the valve body was fouled. I see with some interest that SIG has changed the gas block and valve on the 516 to resemble that used on the 716.

The valve on the 716 has lugs rather than threads that hold it in the block. Depressing a detent and rotating the valve 180 degrees frees the lugs from the block and it has been my experience that the 716's valve is easily removed.

I'm glad to see this change to the 516. I'll have to see if I can't find a fair price on one of the new style rifles.
    I made an inquiry on ARF.com about cleaning the threads over half a year ago also as there is no documentation or recommendation from SIG on how to do so. The recommendations froms the responses mostly were to apply anti-seize on the threads.

I've had my gen1 516 for over a year with zero problems, And cleaning it is childsplay. The only complaint is that I have grown to like middy's and the only middy I've seen is the 716 precision marksman in the SIG 2012 catalogue..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My GenII rifle is running perfectly. I've only got a limited number of rounds fired but so far so good.

Feedback Score
    I've had my Gen 2 for a few months now with nothing but 55 grain through it with no problems. Looking to get it cut down to 11.5-12". My gunsmith in Texas actually made a barrel wrench that works on the SIG 516 barrel nut.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Any word on the lawsuits over this rifle?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Any word on the lawsuits over this rifle?
    Lawsuits? Over what? By whom?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    ......I have yet to hear why anyone should get a SIG 516......
    That's easy variable. Because it's not a Ruger.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    If I were to get a piston upper it would probably be a sig. The price point is right and I have heard good things from those I know who have actually used them

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    Lawsuits? Over what? By whom?
    LWRC over the piston design supposedly. Adams Arms over something else.

Feedback Score
    Buy American! Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske, etc...

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast