Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P9HST2 vs P9HST4

Feedback Score

P9HST2 vs P9HST4

P9HST2 is 147gr Federal HST

P9HST4 is 147gr +P Federal HST

Which one would you choose? Why?
    Last edited by Falz24; 01-14-11 at 04:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I will put this here before somebody else

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

If its on the list its good to go. If its not, it failed one(or more) parts of the testing.

As far as the 147g+p stuff not being on the list, I dont know. Its possible Doc just hasnt tested it yet.

The 124g+p HST has been removed from the list. I think it used to be there, not sure why its not anymore.
    Last edited by rjacobs; 01-14-11 at 08:18.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I will put this here before somebody else

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

If its on the list its good to go. If its not, it failed one(or more) parts of the testing.

As far as the 147g+p stuff not being on the list, I dont know. Its possible Doc just hasnt tested it yet.

The 124g+p HST has been removed from the list. I think it used to be there, not sure why its not anymore.
    If a particular load is not on the list, then it either failed, was not tested, or a load on the list does better. For instance, Dr. Roberts has said that the standard pressure 124gr Gold Dot does just fine, but the 124gr+P does better and you should go for the +P. You can draw all kinds of conclusions if it is not on the list which may not be accurate. The "list" just gives people a selection of various loads that are proven to work well.

In regard to the HST 147gr and 147gr+P. It's the same bullet, just one is thrown faster. Almost every HST 147gr standard pressure load has done well in barrels of 3.5" and longer in ballistics testing. I supposed if you have a barrel length that is shorter than that, then the 147gr+P would be a better choice. The higher velocity doesn't make the bullet expand any bigger, it just makes it more reliable in short barrels and gives it "slightly" better penetration due to the increased momentum. Either way though, the HST kinda sucks at shooting through auto glass.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    We have not yet tested the P9HST4.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    We have not yet tested the P9HST4.
    Were the 124g loads taken off the list or where they never on it and it was just my imagination? I could have sworn the 124+p used to be on the list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Either way though, the HST kinda sucks at shooting through auto glass.
    I've sen it shot on glass several times, and it did quite well, almost bonded level performance.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    I've sen it shot on glass several times, and it did quite well, almost bonded level performance.
    ATK Testing Sacramento 2007:
    HST 147gr: 9" of penetration through auto glass
    GD 147gr: 12" of penetration through auto glass

ATK Testing Santa Clara 2007:
    HST 147gr: 7" of penetration through auto glass
    SXT 147gr: 9.5" of penetration through auto glass

ATK Testing Riverside 2007:
    HST 147gr: 7.75" of penetration through auto glass
    GD 147gr: 8.75" of penetration through auto glass
    SXT 147gr: 9.75" of penetration through auto glass

ATK Testing Los Angeles 2007:
    HST 147gr: 7.5" of penetration through auto glass
    SXT 147gr: 10" of penetration through auto glass

ATK Testing Aurora 2008:
    HST 147gr: 14.25" of penetration through auto glass
    GD 124gr+P: 15.25" of penetration through auto glass
    SXT 124gr+P: 9" of penetration through auto glass

ATK Testing Ft. Collins 2008:
    HST 147gr: 9.5" of penetration through auto glass
    SXT 127gr+P+: 10.75" of penetration through auto glass
    GS 147gr: 11.25" of penetration through auto glass
    GD 124gr+P: 12.25" of penetration through auto glass

The only test where the HST came close to the FBI minimum penetration requirement of 12" was on the Aurora test which in my opinion was a fluke. So, it is 1 for 6 in good windshield penetration.

As for the Gold Dot, in its various grain weights it was 3 for 4 in good windshield penetration in these tests.

The 9mm in general sucks at windshield penetration which was one of the reasons why the FBI moved away from it in the early 1990s and was discussion in Agent Urey Patrick's "10mm Notes". This is evident in regular jacketed bullet technolgy which breaks apart when it impacts a windshield, loses its momentum, and results in shallow penetration. The 10mm/.40S&W is thicker throughout the length of the bullet, and is able to stay together better through a windshield and it can meet that 12" penetration standard with older jacketed bullet technolgy. Bonded bullets stay together better through a windshield and in 9mm are able to meet that 12" FBI penetration standard. At least for police work, I would use bonded bullets for 9mm which are the Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger Bonded, and Federal Tactical Bonded.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    ATK Testing Sacramento 2007:
    HST 147gr: 9" of penetration through auto glass
    GD 147gr: 12" of penetration through auto glass

ATK Testing Santa Clara 2007:
    HST 147gr: 7" of penetration through auto glass
    SXT 147gr: 9.5" of penetration through auto glass

ATK Testing Riverside 2007:
    HST 147gr: 7.75" of penetration through auto glass
    GD 147gr: 8.75" of penetration through auto glass
    SXT 147gr: 9.75" of penetration through auto glass

ATK Testing Los Angeles 2007:
    HST 147gr: 7.5" of penetration through auto glass
    SXT 147gr: 10" of penetration through auto glass

ATK Testing Aurora 2008:
    HST 147gr: 14.25" of penetration through auto glass
    GD 124gr+P: 15.25" of penetration through auto glass
    SXT 124gr+P: 9" of penetration through auto glass

ATK Testing Ft. Collins 2008:
    HST 147gr: 9.5" of penetration through auto glass
    SXT 127gr+P+: 10.75" of penetration through auto glass
    GS 147gr: 11.25" of penetration through auto glass
    GD 124gr+P: 12.25" of penetration through auto glass

The only test where the HST came close to the FBI minimum penetration requirement of 12" was on the Aurora test which in my opinion was a fluke. So, it is 1 for 6 in good windshield penetration.

As for the Gold Dot, in its various grain weights it was 3 for 4 in good windshield penetration in these tests.

The 9mm in general sucks at windshield penetration which was one of the reasons why the FBI moved away from it in the early 1990s and was discussion in Agent Urey Patrick's "10mm Notes". This is evident in regular jacketed bullet technolgy which breaks apart when it impacts a windshield, loses its momentum, and results in shallow penetration. The 10mm/.40S&W is thicker throughout the length of the bullet, and is able to stay together better through a windshield and it can meet that 12" penetration standard with older jacketed bullet technolgy. Bonded bullets stay together better through a windshield and in 9mm are able to meet that 12" FBI penetration standard. At least for police work, I would use bonded bullets for 9mm which are the Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger Bonded, and Federal Tactical Bonded.

No doubt bonded bullets will outperform HST in glass. I was just impressed with the HST's performance for a non bonded bullet, as they had good weight retention and didn't have core/jacket separation in the tests I saw, while their bare gel results were far superior. iirc, the ATK rep said the bullet was tweaked a little bit in the last year or two, maybe that would explain it being better in the shoots I've seen. I'll see him at SHOT and ask him.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't ever recall seeing the P9HST3 (124+P version of the HST) on Doc's recommended list. I may be wrong. My guess is that he has probably not tested it, as it has performed well in the limited testing I have seen. I would not be hesitant to carry any of the 9mm HST rounds. FWIW, the P9HST1 and P9HST3 are the most readily available HSTvarieties in my area.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In regard to the HST 147gr and 147gr+P. It's the same bullet, just one is thrown faster.
    The ATK rep that I recently emailed said that the two 147gr projectiles were not the same.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast