Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Functional Featherweight

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Total unloaded weight of this 16" middy is approximately 6.7 lbs.
    That is pretty amazing. I always weigh with sling in place so this isn't apples:apples, but that puts you 1.2 lbs less than this configuration.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is the weight of the EX10 and Vltor mount combined?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It looks great. You have nice skills with the Krylon!

A few other things that can shave off some weight since it's a midlength would be to use a JP LMOS carrier which is 6.25oz or a if you got one for really cheap a Colt non-shrouded 1/2 circle carrier which weighs 8.63oz. Either will work with a CAR 3.0oz buffer just fine on a midlength. An old Fiberite CAR stock would be lighter but I too would prefer the MOE on it and I like an AR to be a little heavier at the butt vs the barrel.

A 5.56mm barrel could be turned down to .550" but I'm a little leary of taking them down the far. I might try .565-.575" on my own 14.5" stainless RRA midlength 1x8 barrel I have in my toolbox taking up space.

A Daniel Defense Aimpoint Micro mount could shave another ounce off the weight of the optic. If you did go do the JP LMOS carrier since it doesn't have forward cocking serrations you could remove the forward assist from your upper and fill it with the delrin plug which DPMS sells.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 08-08-09 at 08:47.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any chance that FSB shaved down like that made it's way to a scale before it got reinstalled?

I'd like to compare the weight of:

Stock FSB ??
    Middy handguards (7.0 oz)
    7.0 oz known

-to-

MBUS (1.2 oz)
    shaved FSB ??
    DD omega (9.4 oz)
    10.6 oz known
    Next time I do one of these Rob I'll weigh what's left of the FSB. It's very light even lighter than a VLTOR low pro gas block. I'm going to cut my already shaved FSB in half like that.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 08-08-09 at 08:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I keep coming back to this thread - I dig the setup! gotm4, would a 9" or 12" Omega fit over that shaved FSB?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lindertw View Post
    I keep coming back to this thread - I dig the setup! gotm4, would a 9" or 12" Omega fit over that shaved FSB?
    I'm not sure if a Omega will fit over it. That one upper I did quite a while ago did was a CMMG 14.7" barrel with a perm. attached A2 comp with a .625" seat at the FSB, I shaved it way down to fit under it. On Byrons barrel I left the gas block seat at .750" so it's likely too big to fit under the very tight Omega or it'll be damn close. The Troy TRX Extreme rail/FF tube would be a good option too.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 08-08-09 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I keep coming back to this thread to check out that rifle. This is a very slick build.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That is pretty amazing. I always weigh with sling in place so this isn't apples:apples, but that puts you 1.2 lbs less than this configuration.
    Rob is right, that is amazing. The sling and hardware to mount it will add some weight but that will still be one very light but still very functional carbine.

My lightweight build tips the scales at 8 pounds, 3/4 ounce with the sling.

I have a similar build that weighs a bit more at 8 pounds 3/4 ounces with the sling (unloaded).

- Colt 6520 upper rebuilt with flat top and an M16 carrier (replaced the old half circle carrier)
    - H2 buffer
    - DD Lite 9.5 FSP
    - PWS FSC556
    - Aimpoint T-1 on LaRue mount
    - TangoDown stubby (non-qd)
    - Troy folding rear sight
    - Standard FSB
    - TangoDown rail covers
    - MIAD with winter trigger guard front strap
    - MOE stock
    - BFG VCAS 2 point sling (mounted to the handguards with a one piece ACE loop, and the end plate with a DD QD mount).
    - Surefire G2L (with Z48 switch) in a VTAC mount

This is an old pic before the FSC556 and TD Stubby were installed.

There are a few places I could save weight like dropping the Z48 switch, getting rid of the TD Stubby vert grip, using a burnsed loop instead of the QD end plate, and getting rid of the rubber butt pad on the MOE stock, but I like the functionality that these things add. Even if I dropped those items, I think I would still be heavier than your build!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post

The Nitecore was one of my secrets for shaving weight: it's only 1.2 ounces
    How that flashlight work for you? Run time?

I'm butting together an SBR and would like to attach a small light weight light to it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Speaking as someone who has lost a taper pin, I like the idea of having two. I don't think I would have reduced everything to only one.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Speaking as someone who has lost a taper pin, I like the idea of having two. I don't think I would have reduced everything to only one.
    Red Loc-Tite or Rocksett is your friend....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast