Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have/build an AR pistol?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In NH, we have a pistol/revolver license for CCW. Additionally, open carry is legal. I'm aware of no prohibition on concealed carrying a SBR, except in a motor vehicle. Long guns in vehicles come under the jurisdiction of the Fish and Game Department. Loaded (mag inserted in mag well) long guns are not allowed. Although I will be doing my first legal SBR shortly, I'm still considering a pistol build or at least a pistol lower with Sig brace at some point so I can conceal a loaded AR in my vehicle.

Feedback Score
    My reason for getting an AR pistol differs from most. I live in an area where whitetail can only be hunted with shotgun or pistol. I really don't know anyone hunting with these pistols but I am going to give it a try this coming season. I will be hunting with an 11.5 bcm topped with a leupold vx hog 1-4x, and shooting the 70 gr barnes tsx.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Several years ago when I saw my first AR pistol, it was hard to convince me that there was a practical application for one. It took me ten years before I ever decided to build one. I did not need one since I have several ARs, but I wanted to build one to see how I would like it. Last year, I built my AR pistol and have had a blast shooting it. Bear in mind, this will never be an SBR. I have a couple of those already. I did outfit it with a micro red dot optic to make target acquisition easier. It is a true AR pistol and not some pseudo-SBR. I want no mistake that it is a pistol. Now, what is its purpose? It is one AR that I keep a loaded magazine in and that is kept handy for use in one part of my home. I keep a loaded .45ACP 1911 and a Glock 26 in another part. The AR pistol is easy to handle and gives me 30 to 40 rounds (depending on which magazine I have in it at the time) of 55gr. hurt should I have to use it. It also makes for a nice trunkgun since it is compact (only a 7.5" barrel). I am glad I built this pistol. Bear in mind, it is, by no means, a substitute for any of my full sized AR carbines or AR rifles.

Renegade04: Great looking rig. Would you mind telling us your build list?

Great responses everyone. Now I'm kinda inspired to build one myself. I've already got a Spike's pistol buffer tube kit that I'm trying to sell on the exchange, but I think I'll take it down, and start my pistol build. I'm liking that 7.5-inch barrel for sure. I also like the idea of using a single point sling over the Sig Brace, personal taste. I do appreciate y'all chiming in. There was some other ideas and considerations that were legit I wouldn't have thought of, so keep the thread going!
    I am a "Glock Operator" but I do not play one on TV.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Are you NOT allowed to CCW a rifle in your State? (AZ doesn't specify.. so you can CCW any legal weapon)

As far as #2... IMO... who cares? SBR a couple lowers or whatever. Getting into a lethal force engagement with a sketchy at best "brace" is much more unsettling that running an SBR registered in full faith so to speak.

The only way I'd have a pistol is if I lived in a NO SBR State and needed a justification for owning short barreled upper(s).

In general I agree with you mark, but I'm not interested in letting sheriff joe or any other incompetent douche sometime in the future chose whether or not to sign my Form. And I'm certainly not paying them for the privilege.

Chris
    Last edited by CCK; 10-17-14 at 17:25.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Feedback Score
    My reasoning was pretty simple I wanted a PDW. Doing it as a pistol instead of an sbr allows me to go to any state where my permit is valid with it ready to go in my vehicle. Additionally after running one with the brace I can't see spending the extra cash it handled add well as any sbr I had run. Oh and on a side note the sbx brace feels even better to me then the original.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have been running some for a few years. The SB15 is not really a game changer for me. Even with jus a pistol buffer tube, I could be very accurate and make 150 yrd shots no problem. Never tried further. That being said, I now run the brace as it is better then just the tube, but just he tube still works. There will always be nay sayers, but they can think what they want, I know that I have a viable weapon.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've been pretty anti-AR pistol in the past. Still am. That said- I spent the money to finish out a lower as a pistol. It was PSA parts but even those cost money. I did this because Marty posted up the Shockwave Blade looking for beta testers. I was gonna put a pistol tube on a SBR but decided against it. I liked the look of the Blade over a Sig enough to give in and try out a pistol set-up. I spent a day running the Blade and ended up not as grumpy as I was when I started. General CQ using pistol as PDW was fine. Accuracy suffered on longer shots. I didn't like not having a real stock. It didn't shoulder right, it wasn't stable enough , it wasn't a stock. I threw the lower in my safe.

Fast forward a few weeks later & a buddy called. He built a 11.5 upper that is going on a pending lower. He asked if we could meet up so he could shoot his upper. I remembered the pistol lower in the safe and figured it would find a good home with him until he gets his stamp. We had a good time shooting and I offered to loan him the pistol lower. He declined. My point being-

-Pistol is not a 'Good enough' SBR. It is a Pistol. It may be as close as some can get to a SBR but it is your choice where you live.

-I willingly pay $200 to have a real stock

-Cross state line without permission...meh, couple weeks for paperwork or simply take a 16 incher

-Handy to have a pistol lower around? Sure, even thinking of building mine out to a super short 9mm (6 inch barrel or less) as a range toy.

-Get in a gun fight with a AR pistol or EDC it? No thanks.

-Keep a short upper occupied until you get your stamp? Sure, sounds like a good plan.

-Have one SBR'ed lower and multiple short uppers while being scared of the mystical non-existent 'Constructive Intent' raids so you have multiple pistol lowers as insurance (Geez, long sentence)? Whatever helps you sleep at night.

-Talk trash about real SBR's and how dumb people are for going that route? Don't justify your laziness to your buds as a smart move.

All that said:
    It's your life. Live it as you wish. Do what you want or makes better sense to you.

Feedback Score
    Leaveammoforme

I agree it's not for everyone, if you like running your stock out fully extended its not for you for example. That said if your like me and run your stock short then it is a viable option. I have run many an SBR and honestly I can't really tell the difference when I'm shooting. My cheek weld is fine and I have no difficulty running the gun with the sig brace. Does accuracy suffer? Maybe at very extended ranges or if you're interested in one hole groups at longer ranges. But for me that's not what this or an SBR are for I view them in a defensive role and I can make acceptable hits out past 150 yards with the pistol and in reality even that is pushing theuusefulness of the 5.56 out of a short barrel as the round had lost a bunch of stored by the time of gets there.

To me this weapon folks a niche role. I can have it in the back of my car concealed wherever I go in cruiser ready (mag in, chamber empty, bolt closed, and safety on) which isn't realistic in my state with a 16" gun ( not legal actually here as rifles and shotguns must be unloaded in vehicles) or an SBR ( getting permission to travel may work for you but it doesn't for me I take frequent day trips into other states where I have a pistol permit).

Do I need it? Probably not, the chances of needing it are very small but then again so are the chances of needing my pistol. To me is not about being lazy ( I already have a trust so it's pretty easy to do online) is not even about the money. It's about this being a legitimately better option for me personally.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I understand what you are saying ,SigChaser. Your mission is driving your gear. I prefer options that a stock affords. Will I be wearing a t-shirt when 'it' goes down? Plate carrier? Parka? Big bird costume? A sport coat that some how shrunk on a hanger in the closet?

Don't get me wrong. I don't want someone to have to throw rocks because the BG is out of pistol range. But at the same time I don't want someone to compromise an advantage they had due to a pistol brace not functioning 100% as a stock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KC_in_Bama View Post
    Renegade04: Great looking rig. Would you mind telling us your build list?

Great responses everyone. Now I'm kinda inspired to build one myself. I've already got a Spike's pistol buffer tube kit that I'm trying to sell on the exchange, but I think I'll take it down, and start my pistol build. I'm liking that 7.5-inch barrel for sure. I also like the idea of using a single point sling over the Sig Brace, personal taste. I do appreciate y'all chiming in. There was some other ideas and considerations that were legit I wouldn't have thought of, so keep the thread going!
    Well, this is kind of a short list. I bought the upper assembly second hand with the DD OmegaX 7.0 handguard and the HK sights already installed. The barrel is a Model 1 Sales 1/9 Heavy profile chrome-lined with M4 feedramps.The upper is "Cerro Forge" marked. The lower assembly is built using a stripped DTI lower I had, a CMMG LPK, a CORE15 trigger guard, a BCM Gunfighter 3 grip, a Phase 5 pistol buffer tube, a standard carbine buffer spring, and a "H" buffer. The M16 BCG is a Centurion C4 BCG and I upgraded the extractor with BCM's Extractor Upgrade kit. I replaced the A2 FH that was on it with a Noveske KX3 "Flaming Pig" and added the MAGPUL AFG and VORTEX SPARC red dot optic. It shoots great. I initially had some extracting issues, but the extractor upgrade took care of that. I have engaged targets at 100 yards with it. Head shots are no problem at that distance.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 10-22-14 at 15:55.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast