Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: New Stabilizing Brace for AR15 Pistol "SB15"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Once it has a rifle upper on it. It'll always be a rifle, if you put the pistol upper back on it, It is now a illegal SBR.

A pistol can be made into a rifle, but you can't make a rifle into a pistol

That is (presumably) incorrect. If initially built as a pistol it can be converted to a rifle, and presumably back to a pistol. The initial use is the key, because converting a rifle info a pistol would make an illegal SBR. All that being said, unless you video recorded every second of your rifle's/pistol's life and then have that footage to the prosecuting attorney.... They'd have a rough time pricing it one way or the other as your 4473 would state "other". Now, when buying a stripped lower it is important that the transferring ffl use other rather than rifle in the description.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Once it has a rifle upper on it. It'll always be a rifle, if you put the pistol upper back on it, It is now a illegal SBR.

A pistol can be made into a rifle, but you can't make a rifle into a pistol
    This is incorrect. If a lower is first assembled as a rifle, it is a rifle and remains a rifle.

However, if it is first assembled as a pistol, it may be reconfigured as a rifle, then reconfigured again as a pistol. The catch is, the possessor must perform the configurations in a manner that it is never in an illegal configuration. Look up the results of the suit Thompson Center brought against the ATF for documentation
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Has sig gotten a new letter from the ATF regarding the SBX brace?

I may be spitting hairs, but the ATF letter specifically states "SB15"... I would be cautious to use another modeled brace that isn't listed as being approved.

Also, a AR15 pistol that is over 26" is deemed a "firearm"......

On a Federal level, can you still conceal, and carry this configuration loaded (already checked with my state, and I'm gtg)?

Example: 11.5" upper, pistol lower, Law tactical folding tube, sig SB15.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    ................. Also, a AR15 pistol that is over 26" is deemed a "firearm".................
    There is no federal limit on the length of a pistol. It only becomes a firearm if it is 26" OAL or more and you attach a vertical grip. Without the vertical grip it is a pistol.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    More over, I'm pretty sure there is no legal maximum length for a pistol barrel: A pistol with a 20-inch barrel is still a pistol, it just has a ridiculously long (for a pistol) barrel.

This (the ruling) should only be an issue if you bought a pistol lower, have both a "pistol" upper and a "rifle" upper, and a receiver extension and stock to convert the lower into a rifle lower.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    I used my 11.5 BCM SB15's pistol in a two class with Defoor - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/05/aa...-april-12.html

I asked him before hand and his response was "run what you brought" and I did.
    Voodoo, did you identify any unexpected shortcomings or disadvantages to using the brace when compared to others using an SBR with a stock?

Feedback Score
    Has sig gotten a new letter from the ATF regarding the SBX brace?

I may be spitting hairs, but the ATF letter specifically states "SB15"... I would be cautious to use another modeled brace that isn't listed as being approved.

I haven't seen any ATF opinion letters that specifically mention "SB15." But if you want to "split hairs," it is worth noting a couple of items about the opinion letter floating around on the subject at hand:

- As a licensed manufacturer, SIG has never received a Tech Branch opinion letter on the SB15 or the SBX.

- The opinion letter they ship with their SB15 and SBX braces was addressed to Alex Bosco, who isn't a licensed manufacturer and isn't an employee of SIG, concerning his foam-rubber prototype with two Velcro straps and thus protects him only for that particular configuration.

- The Tech Branch opinion letter to Alex Bosco specifically mentions "foam-type rubber," which the SB15 and SBX clearly aren't made of.

I'm interested in your responses on this subject.
    Last edited by Shockwave Technologies; 11-16-14 at 13:39.
    Shockwave Technologies is an innovative manufacturer and retailer of firearm parts and accessories, located in picturesque Salt Lake City, Utah.

The company is owned by Martin Ewer—a veteran of the United States Air Force (6920th ESG (ESC), Russian Cryptologic Linguist, 1985–1990)—and operated by a small team of dedicated professionals. We are committed to excellence and personalized service.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave Technologies View Post
    I haven't seen any ATF opinion letters that specifically mention "SB15." But if you want to "split hairs," it is worth noting a couple of items about the opinion letter floating around on the subject at hand:

- As a licensed manufacturer, SIG has never received a Tech Branch opinion letter on the SB15 or the SBX.

- The opinion letter they ship with their SB15 and SBX braces was addressed to Alex Bosco, who isn't a licensed manufacturer and isn't an employee of SIG, concerning his foam-rubber prototype with two Velcro straps and thus protects him only for that particular configuration.

- The Tech Branch opinion letter to Alex Bosco specifically mentions "foam-type rubber," which the SB15 and SBX clearly aren't made of.

I'm interested in your responses on this subject.
    I didn't realize SIG hasn't received a letter from the tech branch yet (maybe they didn't even submit one?). I know a local shop was into a 8+ month wait on their grip stop design for use on AR pistols.

I actually like the look of your blade-AR stabilizer better. Has Shockwave submitted a letter to the tech branch for approval, or will there be any ATF letters included in the purchase?

Thanks!
    Last edited by domestique; 11-16-14 at 15:06.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Has Shockwave submitted a letter to the tech branch for approval, or will there be any ATF letters included in the purchase?
    Thank you for your response. Yes, we as the manufacturer have submitted our stabilizer to Tech Branch for classification and an opinion letter. And yes, assuming their opinion is positive, we will include a copy of it with every Blade-AR we ship. Thank you again.
    Last edited by Shockwave Technologies; 11-16-14 at 15:21.
    Shockwave Technologies is an innovative manufacturer and retailer of firearm parts and accessories, located in picturesque Salt Lake City, Utah.

The company is owned by Martin Ewer—a veteran of the United States Air Force (6920th ESG (ESC), Russian Cryptologic Linguist, 1985–1990)—and operated by a small team of dedicated professionals. We are committed to excellence and personalized service.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast