Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vltor MUR vs Aero M4E1

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The MUR was tested and proved to be stiffer than normal flat top uppers and that was when it was made of 6061. Now, the MUR is made of 7075 which will make it even stiffer. Unfortunately, the threads where K.L. Davis tested upper stiffness has been stripped of its photos but here is a link to a thread that has links to the tests and a couple of other pertinent discussions.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...per-Flex-tests

Short version is, the MUR is quite stiff and doesn't weigh much more than a standard forged flat top. I have one on a precision build using a Lothar-Walther 20" HBar barrel and am very satisfied with its performance. The MUR also allows the choice of any free float handguard, which is a must for me because I don't like aluminum for handguards. I don't know anything about the M4E1 upper but I can give my recommendation to the MUR as a precision upper, especially if a suppressor will be used
    Because I honestly don't know the answer, but has the MUR shown a quantifiable improvement in accuracy over a standard upper receiver when used?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If so, I have never seen it
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Your barrel will probably play more into the accuracy of your build more than upper receiver, as long as it's in spec. Aero will work well, but Vltor/Geissele is a step or two above, in both price and build quality.

If you'd like to save a little, BCM uppers are also built a little thicker in areas and have VERY tight receiver to barrel tolerance.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My MUR with Geissele rail and LaRue barrel shoots sub-MOA as long as I do my part and feed it quality food.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalE View Post
    My MUR with Geissele rail and LaRue barrel shoots sub-MOA as long as I do my part and feed it quality food.
    8" at 800 yards is pretty good!
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    8" at 800 yards is pretty good!
    Okay, perhaps I embellished lightly. 8" at 800 yards is beyond my shooting capability. It'll do approximately 1" groups at a 100yds until I flinch (and it is capable of .75" at that distance with BH ammo) and it'll ring steel to 600 all day which is as far as I've verified it.

I have no evidence it is more capable than any of my other rifles, but I can say it is capable for longer simply due to the barrel's thermal mass. I have not noticed deflection of the handguard either, which is present in some of weight weenie guns.
    Last edited by OrbitalE; 02-14-17 at 00:05.

Feedback Score
    If you don't want to go monolithic, I'd say another option with the same benefits (but easier to work on) is the Mega MML (M-Lok) or MKM (Keymod). Here's a review (not mine) that illustrates the features pretty well:

https://youtu.be/YcjhEjeDNLk

I have four of these and they are all outstanding.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I don't own a VLTOR but I have been impressed with the M4e1.

My daughter who was 15 at the time shot this 10 shot group @ 100m with an M4e1 16" govt profile bbl using some M855 and an 8x vortex scope.

I was impressed enough to recently purchase a 18" stainless medium profile 1/8 .223 Wylde M4e1 upper. I added a Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44.

Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 04-01-17 at 17:26.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I am using a MUR on a 20" precision build as well. It does ok, I guess.

You do understand that .3 MOA of shift is the width of a TV remote control at 800 yards, right?

Hope you've got a Krieger Barrel and a $3000 optic.
    ...and you handload. For that type of split ammo is going to be the deciding factor, not the upper. That being said, the biggest argument against the MUR is the forward assist. Its design prevents the use of a lot of 45 offset iron options, which kind of makes it a non-starter for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12