Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How much ammo?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Rather than a raw round count, I'd be more interested in hearing about the proportions in which you're stocking pistol:rifle:shotgun ammo, and how you arrived at those figures. Do they reflect your current reality, or something else?

I shoot, carry, and have available a HG far more than any other system. I am far more likely to employ a HG for a serious purpose, even in a professional capacity. My HG skills require more upkeep than others. I can travel to and within more places with a HG than any other. Accordingly, my training time, ammunition, and support items reflect that.

Time and resource investment in rifles/carbines is 10-20% of that. If that. Shotgun is minimal anymore.

The calamity most are likely to find themselves in are market shortages limiting resupply. In the event of some fantastical "SHTF"/disaster scenario, the quantity of any one type required, or that could be reasonably carried, redistributed, or repositioned elsewhere is small. Specialty units going out to intentionally engage well armed hostile forces carry basic loads that are also quite small.

What are you doing, and why?
    Each member of our group has 2 .30 ammo cans......the Iron Rations Ammo Cans.....never to be used, and first out the door:
    holsters359.jpg
    holsters358.jpg
    One can has 900 rounds of 5.56, the other has a mix of calibers:
    holsters357.jpg
    After playing with the ratios over the years, this mix/caliber ratio seems to be the best (for us at least).
    There's also a .30 can of 00 Buck & LTL 12 ga. rubber ball , but that's down the list.....
    Just remember when you are in doubt...It was amateurs that built the Ark, pro's who built the Titanic.......

At my current rate of posting, I might get to post in GD in 2015.......

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorbait View Post
    Each member of our group has 2 .30 ammo cans......the Iron Rations Ammo Cans.....never to be used, and first out the door:
    holsters359.jpg
    holsters358.jpg
    One can has 900 rounds of 5.56, the other has a mix of calibers:
    holsters357.jpg
    After playing with the ratios over the years, this mix/caliber ratio seems to be the best (for us at least).
    There's also a .30 can of 00 Buck & LTL 12 ga. rubber ball , but that's down the list.....

That is a good set up. I guess if everyone had that then you are set up.

Why the 150 of 300 BO? Subsonic?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorbait View Post
    holsters359.jpg
    Tried to search "Iron Rations Ammo Can" but came up empty. Do you have a link got those carry cases? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is a good set up. I guess if everyone had that then you are set up.

Why the 150 of 300 BO? Subsonic?
    Hey DocSherm,
    Yeap, all subsonic. It started out mixed(super and subs), but I found that all subsonic worked best.
    Thannks
    Just remember when you are in doubt...It was amateurs that built the Ark, pro's who built the Titanic.......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Tried to search "Iron Rations Ammo Can" but came up empty. Do you have a link got those carry cases? Thanks!
    The term "Iron Rations Ammo Can" is something I came up with. It is in the same line of the Iron Rations from Pat Frank's "Alas Babylon", something best put away and forgotten. The cases were Ammo Can Sling Covers made by Tactical Tailor, but I am unsure if they are still in production..
    Last edited by Gatorbait; 02-23-15 at 07:49.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    The ammo can covers are no longer made by TT but you can still get them on eBay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/191203899954
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The ammo can covers are no longer made by TT but you can still get them on eBay.

Thanks Doc. I did not know that they were still available. Just picked up 2 more.....

Feedback Score
    I think the fundamental question is: are you just wanting enough to weather the next shortage, or are you wanting enough to get through the end of the world?

If it's the former, then just estimate your consumption for a few months and then maybe double it.

If it's the end of the world, then you can never have too much ammo or too many magazines.

Feedback Score

Thanks! Appreciate the link

Take Care,

Buzz

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I think the fundamental question is: are you just wanting enough to weather the next shortage, or are you wanting enough to get through the end of the world?

If it's the former, then just estimate your consumption for a few months and then maybe double it.

If it's the end of the world, then you can never have too much ammo or too many magazines.
    I agree with this except the shortage timeframe...I used to keep 6 months of range ammo on hand, but after the election in 2012,beefed that up to a year on most calibers. However, I still can't find as much cheap .22 as I'd like

Take Care,

Buzz

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast