Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasonable Gun Control Laws

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Reasonable Gun Control Laws

I was watching Fox news today and they had a piece about the spike in gun sales.

They had two commentators on, one for each side of the debate.

The gun control guy made the comment to the effect of:

"lets have some reasonable gun control laws"

My first thought was that there are almost no reasonable gun control laws.

But that brings up a good question.

Are there any reasonable gun control laws?

Many people equate gun ownership with freedom.

So the question then becomes
    "what are the reasonable controls on your individual freedom to live in today's society?"

The NFA of 1934 and the GCA of 1968, and concealed carry laws come to mind as the major issues.

I'd like to hear from you.

Try to include these things:
    1) If any restriction(s) are reasonable
    2) what those restriction(s) should be.
    3) why.
    Last edited by Clint; 03-23-12 at 18:08.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    There should be a law against shooting people who don't deserve it. That's as far as gun control should go...
    Why do we need a damn law for every single aspect of our lives?
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No mental incompetents, no aliens, no felons.
    Aliens are elidgeable after they pass citizenship test.

Beyond that :shrug: if you can afford to buy a pistol/rifle/machine gun/RPG/flamethrower/tank/artillery piece/attack helicopter, then go for it.

No bleeding edge miltech and no nukes would be about it I would think.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTifosi View Post
    No mental incompetents, no aliens, no felons.
    Aliens are elidgeable after they pass citizenship test.

Beyond that :shrug: if you can afford to buy a pistol/rifle/machine gun/RPG/flamethrower/tank/artillery piece/attack helicopter, then go for it.

No bleeding edge miltech and no nukes would be about it I would think.
    So if the VA declares 80,000+ combat veterans mentally unfit then it's ok to take away their guns? Just as long as it's not your guns am I hearing this right?
    Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I say if you can afford it, you can buy it. If you buy it, you're responsible for using it safely.

People privately own artillery now. I don't really see that it's anyone's ****ing concern as long as they aren't shelling their neighbors, and I really don't remember the last time I heard of that happening. I would probably draw the line at nukes just because of the accident potential, but if you could produce a good reason to have one and could afford to properly secure it, then, whatever.

I think most people have forgotten that the original intent of this country was not to have the world's most powerful government, but to provide a place where free people could do pretty much whatever the **** they wanted. We're so ****ing far from that now we couldn't even take a bus back to the place where we got lost.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    If you've been declared mentally incompetent by a COURT or are a minor.

I don't care about non-residents or felons/DV.

Reasonable is just a word used by gun grabbers to ban what they want and put on restrictions on carry so only the well off (aka people who make large reelection donations to those who decide who gets a permit) can protect themselves in public as well as banning most semi autos. They would love to ban all guns but try to sell stupid ass restrictions to where hunting with a bolt action or single shot is all you get to do, has to be stored in a manner that doesn't allow for self defense, and very people even bother to own a gun.

Semi auto's and concealed carry are the tip of the spear when it comes to main stream gun control initiatives. I am surprised they don't put more emphasis on NFA weapons but then they are so rarely used in crimes they can't dance in the still warm blood of victims to sell their ideology.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    But...but....we HAVE to have gun control laws...to uh keep everyone safe! It's for the good of society!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    about as reasonable as i can get....

no GUNS:
    declared mentally incompetent by a COURT.
    under 18
    non-residents
    VIOLENT felons
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    I fully support legislation that keeps guns away from those that are mentally or criminally unfit.

That's about the only law I can think of I agree with. And when I say 'unfit', I mean, without a shadow of a doubt....NOT like some cases now where you get your guns taken away because a doctor said you might be depressed.

In a perfect world, you really wouldn't even need the 'criminally unfit' part, as those who have served their time should be allowed to own guns again, and those too dangerous to own them should not be allowed out of prison.

Feedback Score
    Oh, and as far as minors are concerned, I would like to see the age for long guns dropped to 16, and I'd probably extend that to handguns as well. My line of thinking is that if you can legally drive, and can legally hunt, you should legally be able to drive yourself to a hunting location with your own freakin' gun. I would possibly move handgun ownership out to 18 years old, to include the ability to carry at that point as well.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast