Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-300 Win Mag

Feedback Score

7mm-300 Win Mag

Also known as 7mm Practical. I've come across this a few times and it seems to be getting more and more attention and was curious if anyone on here that has tried it and reloaded it and if they would care to share their opinion on it. I'm liking what i have read and heard so far, but wanted to see if anyone else here has heard anything on it (pros and or cons). This would be for precision long range work.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    What is the advantage over the 7mm Rem Mag? It seems like a 300 Norma Mag vs 300 Win Mag situation (similar ballistics with one having the theoretical benefit of a longer neck. Not trying to start an argument, just curious

Feedback Score
    If you're planning to reload I think the 7LRM may be more attractive due to not having a belt. You could also look at the 300 Norma Mag necked to 7mm. As a sidenote, AFAIK the 7mm-300 is not the same as the 7mm practical. The 7mm-300 retains the same 25 degree shoulder angle as the 300, while the Practical is blown out to 30 degrees.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Marking this thread for interest. Doc, what are you running now? I'm such a big fan of 300WM and see such little advantage of these other offshoots, I've never studied them much. But maybe I learn now.

My next gun will be 338LM. Good luck on your search.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    What is the advantage over the 7mm Rem Mag? It seems like a 300 Norma Mag vs 300 Win Mag situation (similar ballistics with one having the theoretical benefit of a longer neck. Not trying to start an argument, just curious
    Honestly couldn't tell you. I been reading that many have been able to make accurate hits out past 3,000 yards with this round. Other than that, I couldn't tell you all the inside scoop of this round vs the others that you mentioned. I've taken notice that its becoming more and more popular among long range shooters and was curious if anyone on here has had experience with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Marking this thread for interest. Doc, what are you running now? I'm such a big fan of 300WM and see such little advantage of these other offshoots, I've never studied them much. But maybe I learn now.

My next gun will be 338LM. Good luck on your search.

PB
    I'm running a .308 right now, but I'm saving up for a custom gun and starting to think what I want it chambered in and found these vids (plus others that you can find browsing around)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GsfqKnYx0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRoLvzy2cTY

I agree with you and am not a fan of the wild cat cartridges, but this one really caught my interest. I too have been looking heavily into the .338LM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    I'm running a .308 right now, but I'm saving up for a custom gun and starting to think what I want it chambered in and found these vids (plus others that you can find browsing around)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GsfqKnYx0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRoLvzy2cTY

I agree with you and am not a fan of the wild cat cartridges, but this one really caught my interest. I too have been looking heavily into the .338LM.
    The .338 is awesome but what are you going to do with it?

$5 a shot even with reloads is too much for my blood.

Honestly all I kill is paper and steel so the larger calibers isn't something I have researched heavily but the 300 Win mag seems to be a favorite with the long range shooters that step up past 2000 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Agreed, and that's why I have been looking into the 7mm-300win due cost.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm a fan of staying on the beaten path... i.e. .308, 300WM, etc. It makes equipment, dies, resale, etc... much more headache free.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I just watched the video. he explained the "300 brass is necked down to 7mm". I honestly thought that was what 7 rem mag was. How different is 7mm vs 300wm brass. What do you gain? What are the ballistics?

Learn me up.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast