Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Civilians with Plate Carriers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    I hope nobody tries to shoot you ever. Nobody likes getting shot at. .... which is exactly the reason why some civvies own the armor in the first place.
    Well, yeah. That too. I appreciate it.

Like I said, we're not North Korea. If you desire to own a plate carrier, have at it!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have a higher opinon of dude wearing a PC (with plates) than just a chest rig.
    Then again, I also think that if you think you are going to be in a gunfight you should probably protect yourself appropriately instead of carrying 600% more ammo than you will need.

Professionals don't make fun of the civilian dude that can shoot, has decent gear, has applicable gear, and knows what the **** he is doing with it.
    The people that get embarrassed are those that don't.
    Not much to add to these. So very true.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What do you guys think of the practice of wearing a chest rig over a plate carrier? Is this redundant?

I ask because I've worn everything in one piece before in the mil and I didn't like it. I'm considering wearing a rig over a carrier for work now, and when I shoot matches for fun.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGSteve View Post
    What do you guys think of the practice of wearing a chest rig over a plate carrier? Is this redundant?

I ask because I've worn everything in one piece before in the mil and I didn't like it. I'm considering wearing a rig over a carrier for work now, and when I shoot matches for fun.
    You should check out the Mayflower Low-Profile Armor Carrier....here is a review that should give you an idea.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2theXtreme View Post
    How do you guys feel about civilians having plate carriers? Me being a civvy myself I see a lot of guys running them at the matches I shoot at.

Is there a real reason to own one for a guy like me?

I would want one only for when, I hate to say it, the SHTF AKA mass chaos in the states and I have to defend myself from the enemy whoever it may be.

I was just curious as to what your guy's thought were. Not that I care or anything...
    From a law enforcement POV, to me, it's the same as gun ownership. I don't care if you own a gun, or a thousand guns. I don't care if you own soft armor, plates, NVG's, etc. It's how you behave that will get a negative view from me and most of my coworkers. If you are driving through the hood at 2am with dope in the car... having those things will be a problem. If you are a law abiding citizen... do whatever makes you smile and you can afford.

Feedback Score
    As a side note, is there any way to tell if a particular vest comes with integrated, sewn in soft armor? I've been looking around at a few vests here and there, but many of them don't explicitly state that soft armor is integrated into the vest. For example, I flat out refuse to believe that Eagle's CIRAS vest costs $600 or more for just the vest and no armor. Is the price an indicator of whether or not armor is included?
    Last edited by ruchik; 09-26-11 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruchik View Post
    As a side note, is there any way to tell if a particular vest comes with integrated, sewn in soft armor? I've been looking around at a few vests here and there, but many of them don't explicitly state that soft armor is integrated into the vest. For example, I flat out refuse to believe that Eagle's CIRAS vest costs $600 or more for just the vest and no armor. Is the price an indicator of whether or not armor is included?
    The Eagle CIRAS is a great PC, the price fits it.
    And no, it does not come with soft armor.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
    The Eagle CIRAS is a great PC, the price fits it.
    And no, it does not come with soft armor.
    The Eagle CIRAS is not a plate carrier, it is a full-blown SPEAR/BALCS armor carrier.
    It is way more than is needed for civilian application.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    The Eagle CIRAS is not a plate carrier, it is a full-blown SPEAR/BALCS armor carrier.
    It is way more than is needed for civilian application.
    This...there are far more "modern" and simple designs that would better serve a civi. In fact, I may even say that the Ciras is already a little "dated"...may take flack for that one, but oh well its my opinion which just so happens to be free!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I agree the CIRAS is dated, bulky and heavy. Find a light weight plate carrier that has the armor sewn into it to prevent it from moving around like in the CIRAS. I hated the CIRAS because the soft armor on the waist wings always got bunched up. I run the Eagle SPC with plates and without the cummerbund because of the added maneuverability. That extra 5 seconds that it takes you to run to the next cover position could mean life or being scavenged. I dont have side protection because I better be shooting at you or you would have to get me with my back turned.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast