Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of y'all carry extra magazines on your person?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Have a spare mag in the car. Never carry a spare mag on me , seems ridiculous for my purposes.

Oh wow...

Depends on your purposes, doesn't it?

If your purpose is self-protection, bad idea. Fight starts when you're ten (or a thousand) feet from your car, but you need a spare mag right now. What are you going to do? Call Time Out and go get your reload?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've got a snag mag and I love it. It's not as fast as on the belt, but with practice is still quite fast and much more concealable. I've had several other gun friends ask why I'm carrying 2 knives and have to show them that it's a spare mag. It's definitely discreet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Depends on your purposes, doesn't it?

If your purpose is self-protection, bad idea. Fight starts when you're ten (or a thousand) feet from your car, but you need a spare mag right now. What are you going to do? Call Time Out and go get your reload?
    That's assuming there is some realistic likelihood that a fight is going to happen, that you're going to need a gun to resolve it, and that it will take more than 7 rounds to do so. Pretty long odds in my cozy little life. YMMV depending on where you live/work/play.

Last edited by Hmac; 12-16-14 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    That's assuming there is some realistic likelihood that a fight is going to happen, that you're going to need a gun to resolve it, and that it will take more than 7 rounds to do so. Pretty long odds in my cozy little life. YMMV depending on where you live/work/play.

Multiple armed assailants with cover (think parking garage with cement pillars) can make the need for additional ammunition very desirable.

-john

Feedback Score
    I got a Wilderness Products horizontal mag pouch for this purpose. Not as thin as I would have liked, something in kydex would be better. For me carrying spare ammo depends on the capacity of the arm I carry.

Feedback Score
    I keep spare mag in safari land competitor mag holder turned for iwb. I prefer readymag, but they weren't in stock. Either way, same concept (metal vs poly), and carried iwb at 7-8 o'clock position. I Aiwb the gun.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-17-14 at 09:55.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Multiple armed assailants with cover (think parking garage with cement pillars) can make the need for additional ammunition very desirable.

-john
    Right. Because that's a problem that I face frequently and am likely to face in the future.

I have a good imagination. I can fantasize about protracted firefights as well as anybody here, I suspect. Where that falls down, for me, is the reality of applying that fantasy to my real life.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Right. Because that's a problem that I face frequently and am likely to face in the future.

I have a good imagination. I can fantasize about protracted firefights as well as anybody here, I suspect. Where that falls down, for me, is the reality of applying that fantasy to my real life.
    +1,000,000

In any real world scenario I'm likely to face. I'm sure my s&w 642 or pm9 will be more than sufficient...
    Last edited by whatthepuck; 12-17-14 at 11:19.

Feedback Score
    Some of the responses in this thread are interesting to say the least.

If I am outside of my home I am carrying a gun.

If I am carrying a gun I have, at minimum, one reload for said gun. Just depends on what I am carrying and how I am carrying it.

In addition I ususally have one fixed blade knife, one folding knife, and a small flashlight, not always, but usually.

What I am doing and how I am dressed dictates what I am carrying and how I am carrying it.

With the myriad of handguns designed for self defense as well as the cornacopia of holster makers out there you should be able to find some way to discretely and comfortably carry a firearm and reload of your choice while still remaining stylish.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I suppose if you live / work / play in the "midwest" you might feel safer than I do. I live in Big City TX where there's every kind of potential danger you can name. Mental cases, drug dealers, armed hotheads, gangs, professional criminals, drug addicts, you name it. I have no reason to feel safe. So yes, there is some considerable possibility that in my lifetime I will need a firearm, including more than seven rounds, to stay alive.

And the other contributor that commented about fantasizing on the subject of protracted firefights. Think of Darren Wilson. He fired 10 rounds out of a 13 round mag of premium .40 JHPs and it wasn't until the last shot that the fight stopped. What if there had been THREE attackers as big as refrigerators?

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast