Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sharps Relia-Bolt design using S7 tool steel.

Feedback Score
    The JP enhanced bolts use 9310. They look really nice, but I could never decide whether to get the JP enhanced bolt or the LMT enhanced bolt. I thought the reliabolt would be the answer but it appears they have still not worked the kinks out and gotten it right (maybe). Does anyone know between the JP and LMT enhanced bolts have a better reputation of longevity etc.? Chris Bartocci says that LMT sells their enhanced bolts to KAC and LWRC. I always hear that 9310 is used on cheap hobby bolts and hasn’t been proven yet etc. But JP uses it on their enhanced bolt (it’s like $120 for the bolt I believe) so maybe they use a higher quality 9310? I haven’t heard much information on the JP enhanced bolt.
    Last edited by Cane55; 12-21-17 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    I know nothing. But Hodge uses 9310 bolt, so if properly treated. I'm interested in knowing the functional differences? All else being equal, in a properly assembled bolt.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane55 View Post
    The JP enhanced bolts use 9310. They look really nice, but I could never decide whether to get the JP enhanced bolt or the LMT enhanced bolt. I thought the reliabolt would be the answer but it appears they have still not worked the kinks out and gotten it right (maybe). Does anyone know between the JP and LMT enhanced bolts have a better reputation of longevity etc.? Chris Bartocci says that LMT sells their enhanced bolts to KAC and LWRC. I always hear that 9310 is used on cheap hobby bolts and hasn’t been proven yet etc. But JP uses it on their enhanced bolt (it’s like $120 for the bolt I believe) so maybe they use a higher quality 9310? I haven’t heard much information on the JP enhanced bolt.
    I have heard mostly good things about the JP bolt, but LMT wins that contest hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

New Sharps Relia-Bolt design using S7 tool steel.

Quote Originally Posted by npena84 View Post
    I know nothing. But Hodge uses 9310 bolt, so if properly treated. I'm interested in knowing the functional differences? All else being equal, in a properly assembled bolt.
    I would assume that 9310 has the potential to be heat treated, stress relieved, hardened, shot peened, etc into a good 5.56 bolt. But it would be folly to overlook the truly massive amount of research that has gone into the Carpenter 158 bolt we have now. It’s not just “a bolt”, but an incredibly specific series of complex steps to turn a piece of certified bar stock C158 into a mil spec bolt. It’s like thanksgiving dinner.

So, for new materials, I’m not shocked that we are seeing teething problems because no body of work exists for a recipe for those materials to be turned into a bolt. I’m confident these issues will get worked out, but this is a testament to the research that has gone into the C158 bolt. I suspect that is something that most take for granted.

I’m hopeful that the SRC reliabolt will get the kinks worked out. More quality options is more better for all of us.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 12-22-17 at 11:26.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    Understood, thanks Buford!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    It may not be. Various KAC sources have said it was another alloy and some have said C158. But the dimensional changes alone would provide massive strength and fatigue life increases. So a material upgrade on top of that would be an even bigger upgrade.

As far as I know, only KAC and LMT are using Aermet 100. Theres a reason why that E3 bolt is over $200. Considering you can find an LMT enhanced bolt for under $200 thats a steal. Both should outlast the barrel its paired with. The only other company using S7 is Barrett and maybe they figured out a thing or 2 on how to make it work or maybe it just works better with giant .50 cal bolt lugs.

A proper mil-spec C158 bolt like BCM, DD, Colt ect should still be the go to for a serious use rifle. Ill keep testing uber bolts until I can find one thats cost effective.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane55 View Post
    KAC makes their own bolts.
    Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    As far as I know, only KAC and LMT are using Aermet 100. Theres a reason why that E3 bolt is over $200. Considering you can find an LMT enhanced bolt for under $200 thats a steal. Both should outlast the barrel its paired with. The only other company using S7 is Barrett and maybe they figured out a thing or 2 on how to make it work or maybe it just works better with giant .50 cal bolt lugs.

A proper mil-spec C158 bolt like BCM, DD, Colt ect should still be the go to for a serious use rifle. Ill keep testing uber bolts until I can find one thats cost effective.
    So, to be clear, you have confirmed info that the KAC is A100 as well? I’ll take your word for it but I want to be clear on what you’re saying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post

Did you receive the replacement reliabolt yet? If Sharps lets you know what they think the problem with the bolt was please let us know, I’m really curious what they have to say. I guess you can’t go wrong with a good old faithful BCM bolt, but that LMT enhanced bolt looks pretty nice.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Dvor has these on sale for $169 again.

I'm skipping, but it sure is tempting.

Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast