Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Safe" or "Panic" room pictures and ideas.

Feedback Score

"Safe" or "Panic" room pictures and ideas.

I am building a new house that is focused around sustainability and living off of the grid. One of the main designs to be incorporated in the house is a safe room to be placed in the basement. All walls will be constructed of poured concrete with chicken wire placed inside of the concrete forms to prevent breaching. I have plenty of available space for the room. Ideally, it will be around 20x20.

I'm looking for pics of already constructed rooms or ideas from others that have been planning their own. The room will serve a double duty as my arms room and storage area for sensitive items and a supply of emergency rations to last a month or so until I can gain access to my stockpiled caches around the property...
    ABOVE THE REST_____________________CURRAHEE
    1/327th INF 101st ABN_______________1/506th INF, 101st ABN
    OIF 1 2003/2004._____________________OIF 3 2005/2006

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Great question, I will be following your thread. I have an unfinished 16 x24 room on concrete slab floor next to my garage that I wanted to reinforce for storage, including gun safes and storage food & supplies.
    It will be heated and air conditioned but currently has conventional exterior walls.
    Since I am DIY, as a minimum I was going to skin the walls and ceiling with screwed-in 3/4 plywood. The Ceiling joices will need to be added to-- spaced closer & larger to carry the ceiling weight. Also replace door and door frame along with bars on the windows.

But , if you have the money, this is a possible idea to consider for finishing a basement:

Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 01-20-13 at 08:25.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, money isn't unlimited like some people I've met on here! I am not forced to pinch pennies or cut corners but it must be reasonable. Especially since my wife is in charge of all executive decisions and she doesn't appreciate the need for a safe room like I do!
    ABOVE THE REST_____________________CURRAHEE
    1/327th INF 101st ABN_______________1/506th INF, 101st ABN
    OIF 1 2003/2004._____________________OIF 3 2005/2006

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    Great question, I will be following your thread. I have an unfinished 16 x24 room on concrete slab floor next to my garage that I wanted to reinforce for storage, including gun safes and storage food & supplies.
    It will be heated and air conditioned but currently has conventional exterior walls.
    Since I am DIY, as a minimum I was going to skin the walls and ceiling with screwed-in 3/4 plywood. The Ceiling joices will need to be added to-- spaced closer & larger to carry the ceiling weight. Also replace door and door frame along with bars on the windows.

But , if you have the money, this is a possible idea to consider for finishing a basement:

nice....

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I think it is a good idea as either a walk in safe or panic room. A good steel door with a digital combo is nice as well (so you don't have to look for keys to get in).

If possible, put the room under the front or back porch slab (so that someone couldn't cut their way in through the ceiling.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamadiDoorkicker View Post
    I am building a new house that is focused around sustainability and living off of the grid. One of the main designs to be incorporated in the house is a safe room to be placed in the basement.
    Check your pm's
    Last edited by Dave L.; 01-20-13 at 09:00.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Check your pm's
    Any way you'd CC me with your suggestions?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    Any way you'd CC me with your suggestions?
    Check your PM's too...
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    We just built a two years ago. I had them put in block walls, filled with rebar and concrete. The ceiling is a quarter inch thick steel plate,with six inches of concrete on top. I had a custom safe door made in northern Ohio. I will send you some pics via im.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    A good steel door with a digital combo is nice as well (so you don't have to look for keys to get in).
    Digital is nice if available, but keys are way faster than a dial.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast