Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PWS UXR

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    One of the guys that worked on the project said on twitter if you want one to switch barrels with, buy the 308 version first. I guess the cost of swapping up to larger calibers from a 5.56 or x39 will be more of an investment which is to be expected.
    As much as I like this rifle's concept, I don't really see any genuine utility for the civilian in being able to switch barrels and calibers. Not that it isn't cool; I just don't think it particularly useful. Most people just own more than one rifle. In a military context, I can see more possibilities however.

Of course, this is coming from a guy that is liable to build another rifle or pistol if he has too many spare parts lying around, so...
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    As much as I like this rifle's concept, I don't really see any genuine utility for the civilian in being able to switch barrels and calibers. Not that it isn't cool; I just don't think it particularly useful. Most people just own more than one rifle. In a military context, I can see more possibilities however.

Of course, this is coming from a guy that is liable to build another rifle or pistol if he has too many spare parts lying around, so...
    Modularity is the end all be all in this market, and the military has been, since the 1950s, on a mad mission to find a weapons system that can literally fill every small arm role on one receiver. That was the selling point of the P320 despite the fact they only use it in 9mm.

I agree that besides the coolness factor, most civilians won't have much use for most of what this rifle offers. Because of that, unless it does get adopted by the military in some role, it would probably end up on Forgotten Weapons someday.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Modularity is the end all be all in this market, and the military has been, since the 1950s, on a mad mission to find a weapons system that can literally fill every small arm role on one receiver. That was the selling point of the P320 despite the fact they only use it in 9mm.

I agree that besides the coolness factor, most civilians won't have much use for most of what this rifle offers. Because of that, unless it does get adopted by the military in some role, it would probably end up on Forgotten Weapons someday.
    It would be a shame for this rifle to end up on Forgotten Weapons. Let's home the implementation and support live up to the design. I would love to see PWS hit prime time and get some military contracts.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They said on camera that they are working on 8.6BLK. That’s a cartridge I’m very interested in. However since I don’t reload the cost of shooting in any meaningful volume is very prohibitive.

Looks like the receiver, without using an SD style handguard, could take barrels down to 10.5”, which would be fine with 8.6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score

So I totally agree with you to a point, I've got 2 more rifles in parts sitting on my shelves.

But for me, I have a 16" 308/7.62 Nato AR10 (ADM UIC10A) but after the LVPO and mount and some ammo I'm looking at 12lbs roughly, and I hunt with that every year for the last 4 years, its a heavy gun but I really love to tell people I hunt with an AR, and I like the versatility of it just not the weight. So having the same capability at some less weight, combined with the fact that I can swap out to a 556 and take a class with it to better familiarize myself with out remortgaging the house for 600rds of 308 ammo would be a benefit in my eyes.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    So I totally agree with you to a point, I've got 2 more rifles in parts sitting on my shelves.

But for me, I have a 16" 308/7.62 Nato AR10 (ADM UIC10A) but after the LVPO and mount and some ammo I'm looking at 12lbs roughly, and I hunt with that every year for the last 4 years, its a heavy gun but I really love to tell people I hunt with an AR, and I like the versatility of it just not the weight. So having the same capability at some less weight, combined with the fact that I can swap out to a 556 and take a class with it to better familiarize myself with out remortgaging the house for 600rds of 308 ammo would be a benefit in my eyes.
    A 6.8 lb 308 that can shoot MOA does have some serious appeal for me as well. And, you're right, being able to convert it to a 5.56 for cross training is not too shabby either. I thought about that before I posted, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I'd rather just have another rifle. Which seems like it would be true for most people that are into tactical carbines, though clearly there will plenty of exceptions.

I always thought the market with the p320 was silly, as conversion kits were nigh the price of a new pistol. Yet, people buy them. In this case, a caliber conversion is about 25% of the way there, so not nearly as prohibitive relatively. I can see them selling, I just think the caliber conversion aspect is of limited utility, practically speaking, but will be quite a selling point.

Feedback Score
    A 6.8 lb 308 that can shoot MOA does have some serious appeal for me as well. And, you're right, being able to convert it to a 5.56 for cross training is not too shabby either. I thought about that before I posted, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I'd rather just have another rifle. Which seems like it would be true for most people that are into tactical carbines, though clearly there will plenty of exceptions.

I always thought the market with the p320 was silly, as conversion kits were nigh the price of a new pistol. Yet, people buy them. In this case, a caliber conversion is about 25% of the way there, so not nearly as prohibitive relatively. I can see them selling, I just think the caliber conversion aspect is of limited utility, practically speaking, but will be quite a selling point.
    I also agree with you for the P320, I remember working at a gun shop when P250 came with Sub-compact and a Fullsize Frame for something like $850 when they could get two XD or M&P (1st Gen) for $900-$950, the customer is saving money, but you're also giving them a chore of constantly swapping frames and for a Pistol, and someone who carries everyday I like just reaching for my Shield or for my P10c or Steyr M9 depending weather, clothes or situation.

I know that the UXR 308 probably won't come in at 6.8lbs, if it comes under 8lbs I would consider that a win.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well I just ordered the PWS URX in .308. I will see how it works out.

If you look at the video the .308 and 5.56 magwell is the same size just more mass on the 5.56 due to not needing the extra room for .308 mags. This could be interesting because the weight on the barrels I was told are similar and I am wondering what the profile is. I carried a SCAR 17 in Syria so this could be interesting.

I really like innovation and I am looking at this and I am going to register it as an SBR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post

If you look at the video the .308 and 5.56 magwell is the same size just more mass on the 5.56 due to not needing the extra room for .308 mags. This could be interesting because the weight on the barrels I was told are similar and I am wondering what the profile is. I carried a SCAR 17 in Syria so this could be interesting.

I really like innovation and I am looking at this and I am going to register it as an SBR.
    Nice! Please post up with first impressions when you get it. Would also love to see some pics.

What did you end up paying for it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Awesome. Please let me know how it goes. How did you go about ordering it, I called my FFL and they told me that I should wait for after shot show for the dealers to get pricing and inventory finalized.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast