Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmetto State Armory Detent Pins?

Feedback Score

Palmetto State Armory Detent Pins?

I put together my first lower the other day and for the most part it was straight forward. The only part that I'm worried that might be wrong is the orientation of the detent pins on the pivot and takedown pins.

The problem is that the PSA detent pins have both a rounded and a sharper cone like side. In all instruction videos they say to put the "rounded side" toward the takedown pins. But most other detent pins look like one side is flat, the other rounded. I guessed that the rounded side was supposed to be the flat side, and the agressive sharp side was supposed to be the "rounded".

Does anyone know if I installed the more aggressive pointy side of the detent pin toward the takedown pins if this was backwards?

The pivot pin has been extremely hard to get in and out (slowly getting better) and still needs to be punched out gently. Worried I got the detent pin backwards. The takedown is much easier to move than the pivot.

Thanks for your advice, just want to make sure this was correct.

Feedback Score
    Forgot to mention concern #2 - the safety selector.

For some reason even with the hammer cocked back, it was nearly impossible to get the safety selector through the receiver all the way. I could squirm it through by hand on the left side, but then it wouldnt line up on the right. The bottom part of the trigger assembly had just enough metal high enough to block an easy push through. After marring up my reciever a bit trying to muscle it through, I ended up with a hammer and eventually was able to get the selector to seat all the way through.

It seemed like maybe the bottom piece of the trigger was out of spec - getting in the way by less than a MM. But now that it is in, the safety seems to function properly.

Is this normal? Any risks by forcing it in?

Thanks - my first lower build, not sure what is normal. These are the two unusual issues I had with this PSA lower kit.

Feedback Score
    I would think that the pointed end of the detent pin goes toward the spring and the rounded end towards the take down pin. The detent pin slides along the groove in the take down pin when it moves back and forth, rounded is better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've used a few psa parts kits and always put the sharp point in first. Never had trouble with a safety, sorry, can't help on that one.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Could be your lower receiver is slightly out of tolerance or on the high side of tolerance.
    What lower did you install the parts kit in?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    The lower is a LAR Grizzly, I'd be surprised if it was the reciever - it looked visually like the two holes lined up properly, just a bit of the trigger base higher than it should be - barely. Is there any risk that I installed the trigger incorrectly? It function checks, I don't see how I could have impacted the height of the base trigger part. It just worries me a bit as it seems like it should slide right through and I forced it in there.

As for the detent pin, too bad there are no instructions on this from PSA. I'm with you guys, the round side should probably touch the pin which is what I was afraid of... I just thought perhaps the pointed side made sure it would hold positively and not loosen on accident, especially since it was the taller end. Still hoping to get an official answer from PSA. It makes me curious why they made their detent this way? Confusing for first timers. Maybe the pointy side is supposed to keep spring more secure? Looks like its back to youtube/brownells to figure out how to reverse the pivot pin install...
    Last edited by Red Rezin; 11-16-12 at 13:12.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rezin View Post
    The lower is a LAR Grizzly, I'd be surprised if it was the reciever - it looked visually like the two holes lined up properly, just a bit of the trigger base higher than it should be - barely. Is there any risk that I installed the trigger incorrectly? It function checks, I don't see how I could have impacted the height of the base trigger part. It just worries me a bit as it seems like it should slide right through and I forced it in there.

As for the detent pin, too bad there are no instructions on this from PSA. I'm with you guys, the round side should probably touch the pin which is what I was afraid of... I just thought perhaps the pointed side made sure it would hold positively and not loosen on accident, especially since it was the taller end. Still hoping to get an official answer from PSA. It makes me curious why they made their detent this way? Confusing for first timers. Maybe the pointy side is supposed to keep spring more secure? Looks like its back to youtube/brownells to figure out how to reverse the pivot pin install...
    The holes in the receiver may line up, but are they to spec?
    http://www.quarterbore.com/store/ar15receiver.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Are the pivot and take down pins functioning properly? Does the lower pass a function/safety check? If yes to these and the manipulation of the weapon is not negatively effected I'd not worry about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    The holes in the receiver may line up, but are they to spec?
    http://www.quarterbore.com/store/ar15receiver.jpg
    Hah, I'm not sure I could tell anything from that image, horrible quality. But I get what you are saying, I'll have to find a better image and see if I have precise enough tools to measure that small of a deviation. I guess the answer is that something is out of spec - obviously not normal - but not enough where I wasn't able to force it in. Hopefully no functional problem can happen down the line due to the tight fit. Mainly concerned about pressure on the trigger from the safety selector switch.

"Are the pivot and take down pins functioning properly? Does the lower pass a function/safety check? If yes to these and the manipulation of the weapon is not negatively effected I'd not worry about it."

Function/safety seems to work, other than I cant manually pull out the pivot pin without something to punch it out. Originally it felt like it would never move it was so tight, not sure if this is due to the detent pin or just the receiver/pivot pin being very tight. I imagine over time the metal will wear and make it smoother. Only, if it's installed backwards, that might be the problem.

I'm hoping to find the official answer though in case someone else runs into this during their build. If it doesn't matter which direction, that will help put me at ease.
    Last edited by Red Rezin; 11-16-12 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    That sounds perfectly normal to me. I have an entire vault of M4s that you can tell how old and used they are based off of how easy it is to pull the two pins out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast