Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Draw times

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    A 5” 1911 is less than ideal for AIWB Carry, if that’s what the Wilson gun pictured is.
    I’m 6’1” 190 lbs and a Commander/C2/Glok 19 size pistol is much more comfortable than a “full size gun” for IWB Carry, particularly Appendix.
    If I carry a 5” gun it’s 4 o'clock IWB or (groan) an old Alessi Shoulder Holster.
    I'm 5'8"ish (closer to 9"), 145 lb, 28" waist pants, and I AIWB a P30LS with a carry comp, 140mm mag, X400UH, and ACRO P-2. I use a custom JMCK. A slick 5" 1911 should be pretty trivial with the right setup. It's just a question of holster, belt, and clothing choices.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I'm 5'8"ish (closer to 9"), 145 lb, 28" waist pants, and I AIWB a P30LS with a carry comp, 140mm mag, X400UH, and ACRO P-2. I use a custom JMCK. A slick 5" 1911 should be pretty trivial with the right setup. It's just a question of holster, belt, and clothing choices.
    Agree to a point. AIWB with long slide/barrel/comp is problematic sitting or squatting for me. YMMV.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Agree to a point. AIWB with long slide/barrel/comp is problematic sitting or squatting for me. YMMV.
    IME, clothing is a huge component of this. Non-stretchy cloth like denim can be much more restrictive when it comes to things like sitting and squatting compared to stretchy cloth. With all things being mostly equal, squatting takes more effort when wearing jeans than I am my hiking pants when carrying (I have to actually work on balancing myself properly versus it being effortless); denim versus softshells. The stretchier cloth allows the holster to move around a bit more as the body moves and pushes it around, though it should always settle back into the same place once you stand up.

Cut also makes a big different, since it then plays a role in where the holster sits on your body.

I've made many 18 hour drives while AIWB in my setup.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 01-03-24 at 11:25.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I saw a Utube vid of some skinny guy carrying a Staccato XC AIWB.
    I’d find that a real chore.
    I have no problem with a Staccato P or C2 size pistol, I’d not bother trying to carry my XC.

And yes, I find AWIB while driving to be “the way” for me. I place seatbelt strap between body and grip/butt of gun so I have an unimpeded draw. With cover garment over pistol/seatbelt it’s invisible.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I feel you CAN carry a small suitcase if you do it all the time and you don't mind the inconvenience. Some say a suit case is quite comfy and I get that, but I dont want to carry a full size 1911 if I don't have to. But if you have a high end beauty and want to cherish that awesome gun, freakin go for it. I've done it. But now I prefer to carry a P30 over a P30L, a Stacatto C2 over a P DPO..... But the the only important thing is to carry what you can shoot.

I really don't over concern myself with printing, I live in AZ so sometimes my shit is going to print. But I am going to carry, be ready its 2024!

I'm impressed with guys that carry, have a spare mag, knife, flashlight...., I got a buddy that keeps a spare 30 round mag in his cargo shorts, lets go.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-03-24 at 13:53.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Amen to that.
    “First rule of a gunfight, have a gun”.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Here it is exposed, it’s riding right along the Frank n beans, pushing into me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was running into this same issue where no matter what the grip was just sticking out like crazy (at least I felt so). Seems odd but I moved the holster to my 11 o'clock ish. Puts the grip centerlinewith your body. Might notbe for everyone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    I was running into this same issue where no matter what the grip was just sticking out like crazy (at least I felt so). Seems odd but I moved the holster to my 11 o'clock ish. Puts the grip centerlinewith your body. Might notbe for everyone.
    You need to cant it

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Holy crap, that's alot of weight and bulk! 12 hrs a day, 4-6 days a week? That'd be too much for me.

G19 w/ optic, or bare G17, no lights, are perfection for me, although if I went back to 1911s I'd have no problem AIWBing the 5" I used to carry daily.

Fully agreed, clothing is a thing. I hate tight, restrictive stuff. Don't own a single pair of Jean's. Cargo pants, cargo shorts, dress slacks/khakis, in a generous cut that allows movement and comfort, that's key.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    You need to cant it
    I can give that a try. Guessing you mean to angle the grip down more?

Here is what I do now:

And with it in what I am guessing would be the more traditional aiwb position:

Last edited by vandal5; 01-04-24 at 14:07.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast