Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Night Sight usefullness

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by az larry View Post
    Anyone have thoughts about the Phosphor sights on HK like the P30 or VP9? I experimented with a new VP9 and found that if they taken from a lit room into low light they are very bright. I also left one in my bedroom and checked them in the middle of the night and with my eyes adjusted to the dark I could pick up the sights. In still not sure they are a valid replacement for tritium yet in a CCW and home defense situation. Thoughts?
    If you charge them by shining a flashlight directly on them, they will retain the glow for about 20-30 minutes or so--at least that's as long as I can pick them out in the dark. Not all that convenient if you need them immediately. When you first charge them they glow like fiber optics in any lighting, but this effect is very short term--like a few minutes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just FWIW:

Night Sights VS. Fiber Optic Sights (Flashlight +…: http://youtu.be/0wPn6t7U9MU

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I too have never wished I didn't have tritium sights.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-03-14 at 05:38.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    Staying on topic-remember that my issue as i am getting older and am doing more IDPA is that the night sights are just becoming less visible in dark rooms. It seems that simply lighting the slide and the target is more effective. I had not thought of the in between times where there is diminished light. I guess in my experiece in IDPA its either light or totally dark. What NCPatrolAR said answered my question in that there exists those times where there is darkness and some amount of ambiant light. At those times the tritium is helpful.
    You will not see as well at night, pure and simple. People try different prescriptions that May or may not work for you. At 40 your close vision can go south on you, you can get reader type prescription but you still may struggle with Target and sights. One or the other will be more out of focus than when you were 25.
    At night your pupil opens up and you look through more of your cornea which may cause aberrations.

Old plus night equals no bueno

Yep, it sucks but we can survive.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I too have never wished I didn't have tritium sights.
    It kind of depends on the distances you shoot. In D4's pistol class, there is no way you could have passed his 50yd drill with say Trijicon HD's (or anything similar where the space between the front sight and rear sight notch is big enough to drive a bus through).

I personally believe that pistols are very capable at 100yds and ROUTINELY shoot small plates at these distances. Because of this, I have set up my sights accordingly to accomplish such goals.

YMMV.

C4

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    It kind of depends on the distances you shoot. In D4's pistol class, there is no way you could have passed his 50yd drill with say Trijicon HD's (or anything similar where the space between the front sight and rear sight notch is big enough to drive a bus through).

I personally believe that pistols are very capable at 100yds and ROUTINELY shoot small plates at these distances. Because of this, I have set up my sights accordingly to accomplish such goals.

YMMV.

C4
    I was referring to drawing down on some hoodrats on a rainy night and then seeing my G26 with Ameriglos tossed down the sidewalk by responding LEOs. That was two years ago and the sights are still very bright and weren't damaged at all.

I've seen Surf shoot some ridiculous shots at Kokohead. 200yards+ and I think he uses tritium sights as well but I am not positive. I know that there are better sights out there but I've found the tritium to come in very handy, now I'm hooked. Maybe its a "life experience scar" and I just need more training...

P.S. I sent you a PM I'm literally throwing cash at my computer screen for a Gen 3 FDE G19.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-03-14 at 12:43.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345