Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MERGED: Last lead smelter to shutdown in DEC

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Question MERGED: Last lead smelter to shutdown in DEC

Just wait until next year. The conspiracy minded portion of my noodle is telling me that this is happening to restrict ammunition sales and it's being disguised as something for the global warming crowd. Your government may not ban guns but if you can't get any ammo for them they really aren't much good are they? Regardless, this will restrict ammunition production and negatively affect costs no matter the outcome.
    In December, the final primary lead smelter in the United States will close. The lead smelter, located in Herculaneum, Missouri, and owned and operated by the Doe Run Company, has existed in the same location since 1892.

The Herculaneum smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in Missouri's extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its "primary" designation. The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead product producers, including ammunition manufactures for use in conventional ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers. Several "secondary" smelters, where lead is recycled from products such as lead acid batteries or spent ammunition components, still operate in the United States.

Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter...

Just this month, California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law a bill that will ban lead ammunition for all hunting in California. The Center for Biological Diversity has tried multiple times to get similar regulations at the federal level by trying, and repeatedly failing, to get the EPA to regulate conventional ammunition under the Toxic Substances Control Act.
    Last edited by Irish; 10-28-13 at 15:08. Reason: Photo added.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This really sucks. Time to put new builds on semi permanent hold and divert all funds to stockpile a mountain of projectiles.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    This really sucks. Time to put new builds on semi permanent hold and divert all funds to stockpile a mountain of projectiles.
    No rocks for your slingshot makes it kinda useless...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Already ordered a bit more of my most used bullet calibers. Probably will continue inching up inventory for a while, just in case, while there are supplies available for what I prefer.

Your government may not ban guns but if you can't get any ammo for them they really aren't much good are they?
    The gun banners have been yapping about trying limit ammo for some time. Look at California for work in progress. Every few years my comfort level for component inventory gets ratcheted up by political wrangling. I have now about 20 times what I used to keep on hand 18 years ago (which was minimal). Going to have to build an underground magazine here pretty soon if the political climate keeps going the way it has!
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Not good, looks like all funds will be going to reloading now. Factory ammo? I haven't shot any since last year before Sandy Hook.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    The gun banners have been yapping about trying limit ammo for some time. Look at California for work in progress.
    New York's in a race with them...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    This is sure not going to help with the replenishment of my .22 supply.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Soon lead will be on par with gold prices...
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    This is sure not going to help with the replenishment of my .22 supply.
    Bad news bears... The antis are playing chess and most gun owners still haven't opened their box of checkers they got from Santa a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Soon lead will be on par with gold prices...
    If what's printed in that article is legit you may be on to something. Maybe not gold high, but prices will soar.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Bad news bears... The antis are playing chess and most gun owners still haven't opened their box of checkers they got from Santa a few years ago.

Exactly. And with the lead ammo legislation they signed in California, this hurts them even more.

That's one of the things that has always scared me - being regulated out of existence. Any shooting range becomes a EPA-managed toxic waste site, and the owners forced into bankruptcy.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast