Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle length handguard recommendation

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    This is my current setup. Works well, never had any issues and is light enough considering its paired with an SS410 barrel.

If I was doing it over, this would be the route I would take. I don't mind a bit of extra weight for the bomb proof factor. (I'm kinda clumsy)

I made the switch. No regrets what so ever.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Im sure it will happen eventually, I just have other stuff on the list first. Always the way eh?

Feedback Score
    Of course, left to my own devices, I made a different decision. I was concerned about torque on the barrel nut impacting the POI, and I thought the only way to eliminate that would be with a monolithic upper or (second best) a rail that interfaces with the upper instead of a barrel nut.

So, I went with the Aero M4E1.

I have a 7" MK8 on my (waiting to be) SBR and it is extremely solid. But, as I said I was concerned. Now I'm concerned that I've got an upper/rail that is going to fail under hard use. Anyone have any personal experience with the M4E1? I read good reviews but who knows?

Thanks,

JRC

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    If my goal was bomb proof and precision, I would go with a 15" Geissele MK4 or MK8 rail.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just finished an SPR build using an Aero M4E1 builders set. Haven't been out to the range yet but I'm itching to go (once it warms back up a little here in TX). So far it feels pretty rigid but I haven't thrown this thing around yet. I'll report back once I get a couple hundred rounds through her.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    For Regidity, go Geissele. For weight, you can't beat BCM KMR or ALG

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My current plan is a 15" BCM KMR around a 20" Noveske Varmint. We'll see...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    My current plan is a 15" BCM KMR around a 20" Noveske Varmint. We'll see...

I'd rather use an 15" NSR.

KMR is not stiff enough at all for a precision rifle.
    Last edited by scottryan; 04-20-17 at 15:36.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The 15" KMR was purchased with another build in mind, a 16" Noveske Recon barrel, Geissele Sopmod mount, Vortex HD 1x6, etc. That barrel is 60 days out so I went another direction in the interim and the KMR got tossed on. The reason I liked the KMR was the way the clamping force doesn't spread the top rail, but can understand why a longer barrel nut might be advantageous for rigidity.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    The 15" KMR was purchased with another build in mind, a 16" Noveske Recon barrel, Geissele Sopmod mount, Vortex HD 1x6, etc. That barrel is 60 days out so I went another direction in the interim and the KMR got tossed on. The reason I liked the KMR was the way the clamping force doesn't spread the top rail, but can understand why a longer barrel nut might be advantageous for rigidity.

I have this exact set up built from a LE6920 with a 16" Recon barrel, 15" NSR, Vortex 1-6 Razor, in a SOPMOD Mount.

It will hold a .5" group at 100 yards with Black Hills MK262. I use this as a spotters carbine and all around general open terrain western hunting AR-15. See picture.

I would never use the KMR on this gun.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scottryan; 04-21-17 at 09:02.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast