Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shield sans TS - first range visit. Result: 1 Failure to eject - UPDATE

Feedback Score

New Shield sans TS - first range visit. Result: 1 Failure to eject - UPDATE

So, I was pumped to get my hands on a new Shield minus thumb safety. I've shot the Shield in the past and have wanted one since, but refused since I would not carry it with the manual safety My other carry guns don't have it and I don't train to use it. Especially such a small safety level... I digress.

I rushed to the range after work the day after I got the gun to get some rounds downrange and I admit I find myself disappointed. I'm not accustomed to my guns failing. My main SD guns right now: KelTec P32, Kahr P9, and Glock 19 have been flawless (minus the damaged extractor on the Keltec (I've shot it A LOT), which was repaired and is back to 100% functionality. Even the much maligned Kahr that I own has never bobbled. Not. Even. Once. So I guess I'm a little uncomfortable with this failure in what is supposed to be a whiz bang new carry gun from a reputable manufacturer.

To be clear, I've only got 150 rounds in one range trip through the gun, but as I mentioned, I'm accustomed to not having failure in SD guns. The first 100 rounds were CCI Blazer Brass 115 and the last 50 were Federal HST 147. The failure was in the first 7 rounds mag with HST. The empty extracted completely and ended up flipped backwards and jammed in between the breech face the the slide, thus stopping the gun. This was particularly disappointing as this is the round I had planned to carry in the gun and indeed is the same round I carry in the Kahr which devours it no problem.

Also, cause someone will ask, I took the gun to the range the second night I owned it because the first night I disassembled the gun, cleaned it, and lubed with Slip2000 all per the manual.

I guess what I'm wondering is how the gang here would feel about the gun so far. Particularly if other Shield owners have seen a pattern of minor failure in the early rounds with the gun or if Grant (resident S&W expert) could chime in with his thoughts. Of course I plan to run more ammo through it, but frankly the Federal HST is expensive and damn near impossible to find right now. I'd happily run another couple hundred rounds of that load through it if I could find it and afford it. Of ball ammo, I've got enough (for now) of various brands and will definitely be running another few hundred rounds through as soon as possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by websniper; 06-29-14 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Every gun I have ever owned malfunctions from time to time. The smaller the gun, the more common it is IMHO (especially shooting 147gr). For me personally, I would not use this ammo in a sub compact pistol (no matter who made it).

C4

Feedback Score
    I understand my expectations may be a little high. That being said Grant, what do you run, or what do you recommend?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by websniper View Post
    I understand my expectations may be a little high. That being said Grant, what do you run, or what do you recommend?
    I typically carry HST 124gr + P or the Ranger version. Magtech also has a 124gr bonded load that is nice.

C4

Feedback Score
    Roger that. I carry Win Ranger T 124 +P or Speer GD 124 +P in my G19.

I've been reading a thread on another forum where testers are stating that the 147's actually lose less velocity in shorter barrels than the lighter faster loads, including the +P's, and have had good results in expanding (to be fair, in gelatin) from the aforementioned shorter barrels (3").
    Last edited by websniper; 06-25-14 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    This may or may not help, but it's been my experience that smaller guns don't like bigger rounds. My pm9 was terrible with 124gr rangers (which sport a pretty boxy nose) but did great with 115gr critical duty. My shield does great with 124gr rangers, so maybe try running a smaller bullet to see if that helps.

Feedback Score
    After a bad experience with a Walther PPS, I do not trust these small 9mm guns to be reliable. Even if I had one that worked every time, I would still wonder about the reliability margin. Consider a no-lock S&W 442 with laser grips.

Feedback Score
    Just picked up a no-safety version from Grant (very fast shipping...ordered Monday and picked up from my FFL in TX Fri). Hoping to test it with some 115 gr +p+ as a possible EDC. If it fails, I still have the 442.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would say more testing is required. You cant make a determination on a single stoppage especially on a brand new gun. When I get mine Ill be sure to test it with 147gr HSTs. Won't be until july though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had similar problems with my Shield.

It went back to S&W three times. Last time they replaced the entire topside (barrel, slide, everything in slide).

I ran about 100 rounds of the same Federal 115 grain FMJ that had previously caused those weird extraction failure with the empty case backwards in the ejection port. I also fired 100 rounds of the Federal HST 147 grain JHP with no issues except 1 magazine related failure to feed on the first round after I hit the slide release and the first round got hung up below the feed ramp. I eliminated the magazine that this occurred with and had no further problems with the gun, except for getting hit in the head once or twice by an extracted case.

Judging from past experience, this is not enough shooting to pronounce the gun fixed, but it is a nice start.

Anyway, I've had other gun projects come up that has prevented me from firing more rounds through the Shield.

Here's a link to some of the issues that I encountered:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...problems/page3

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast