Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Operating a 1911 left handed

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Operating a 1911 left handed

For those who are left handed, when shooting left handed with one hand, how do you operate the safety on a 1911 if it does not have an ambidextrous safety?

NC

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Trigger finger
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Trigger finger. Some people can flip their thumb over. Seen it a few times although I would need 3 hands to do that.

Or rely on the grip safety.... just saying

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Trigger finger. In fact in the late 80's there was a reversible mag released that never took off, eventually they marketed it to right handers so they could use their trigger fingers too.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For those who replied 'trigger finger'; how on earth do you do that in a fumble-free manner? (The OP asked about the thumb safety, not the mag release.)

I'm a lefty and used to flip the thumb safety off with my RIGHT thumb before moving the right hand back around to the normal support position before ambi safeties were widely available. A bit slow and awkward, but I never figured out an easier way.

Feedback Score
    One handed, bring the thumb over, same way I do an AR lefty, just have to get it back before firing. I can do it smoothly but almost never have to.

Most of the time I just passed the pistol from my right so the safety is already off.

If I were a lefty I'd put an ambi on.
    Last edited by Beef15; 10-09-17 at 10:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also use the "thumb over the top" method.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef15 View Post
    I were a lefty I'd put an ambi on.
    But what if you have to use one without an ambi safety...? ��

I'm considering a scenario where the right hand becomes unusable for whatever reason with no ambi safety on the 1911. Think "battlefield pick up"...

I've used my left thumb in the past and was looking for a better way if it exists...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thumb.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    For those who replied 'trigger finger'; how on earth do you do that in a fumble-free manner? (The OP asked about the thumb safety, not the mag release.)

I'm a lefty and used to flip the thumb safety off with my RIGHT thumb before moving the right hand back around to the normal support position before ambi safeties were widely available. A bit slow and awkward, but I never figured out an easier way.
    I would draw with a very high grip, wiping off the safety on the upstroke as my grip settled in where it needed to be, not fast but it worked for me. To put it on I simply rolled the weapon somewhat inboard and up, breaking my shooting grip and wiping the safety on, sorta like using the knuckle of your left index finger to put the safety on an M4 back to safe.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast