Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduction; John Thomas of Retro Arms Works

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I don't usually cry when I see guns, but the works of art here brought the tears out.

Are you related to Rembrandt?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Outstanding craftsmanship! Thank you for sharing.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Crap.... A thread that should have been entitled... Dravur signs over his payroll checks to.....John

I love these builds! My jealousy level is right through the roof

I do have a question.... Do you make the "Faux Moderators" for an XM177 type build? I am looking for an accurate representation. I also would love to send my new Carbine build over for re-anodizing as the parts don't match up.

Also... Are there plans on making small parts for sale... like dimpled pins etc?
    Last edited by Dravur; 12-17-12 at 10:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravur View Post
    Crap.... A thread that should have been entitled... Dravur signs over his payroll checks to.....

I love these builds!

I do have a question.... Do you make the "Faux Moderators" for an XM177 type build? I am looking for an accurate representation. I also would love to send my new Carbine build over for re-anodizing as the parts don't match up.

Also... Are there plans on making small parts for sale... like dimpled pins etc?
    Thanks very much. I can help you out with your requests, and I do make the small parts for sale, but please email me at jntmjt1@yahoo.com for details.
    Last edited by jntmjt1; 12-17-12 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    Beautiful work!

What's the cut-down minimalist AR in the 'survival' bag? I've never seen one like that before.

I love the "Retro Dissipator" and the M231 is just gorgeous.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Beautiful work!

What's the cut-down minimalist AR in the 'survival' bag? I've never seen one like that before.

I love the "Retro Dissipator" and the M231 is just gorgeous.
    Thank you... the survival rifle is a model 608 replica. About 10 were made, and they were considered for use as an aircrew survival rifle. None were ever fielded.

The "retro dissipator" is a model 605B replica. The first of the carbines. Some were actually issued and used in extremely small numbers by SEALs and other special operations-type guys. There were reliablility concerns so the carbine was not officially adopted for service in any numbers. I open the gas port on the 605 replicas to a specific diameter and have had no reliablity issues with mine, nor any negative reports from customers. The flash hider is also permanently attached so the barrel length meets the 16" requirement. Another interesting fact about the 605B was it had a 4-position selector... safe, semi, auto, and at the 6:00 position was burst.

You may have also noticed the rifle that my wife is shooting has a M14 bipod attachment. This is not just an A1 with a bipod. It is a model 606 replica. It used the M14 bipod with special adapter as shown, it had a nylon buffer (which I replicated as well), and a heavy barrel. It's actually a really nice shooter. The 606 was tested for military use, but not adopted.

The M231 replica was a real challenge. I had to farm out the work on the front collar, but beyond that, the fire control group on the authentic M231 is completely different than that of the M16 (it fires from an open bolt). As a result, on the M231, there is no hammer pin as the M16 has. So, to make my replica as authentic as possible, I had to make a self contained "hammer/trigger pack" that fits down in the receiver. So, there is no need for a visible hammer pin on the replica. Yeah, I know, I'm nuts... I also had to make the authentic "fat head" style trigger pin, and a fake "fat head" sear pin head is actually attached to the selector plate, It is the head of the pin only, and doesn't enter the lower at all. If you remove the selector plate, the fake pin head comes off with the plate. As you can see, the M231 has no sights at all. Tracers were used to "walk" the projectiles onto the target. Since that isn't too practical, especially with a semi auto, I have an Armson OEG (retro "red dot" type sight), that easily mounts to the carry handle, so I can still shoot the gun with some accuracy.

Thanks again,
    John Thomas
    Last edited by jntmjt1; 12-17-12 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Mr. Thomas, thank you for taking the time to post your work. It truly is art.

Mr. Vickers, thank you for introducing him to us.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jntmjt1 View Post
    Thank you... the survival rifle is a model 608 replica. About 10 were made, and they were considered for use as an aircrew survival rifle. None were ever fielded.

The "retro dissipator" is a model 605B replica. The first of the carbines. Some were actually issued and used in extremely small numbers by SEALs and other special operations-type guys. There were reliablility concerns so the carbine was not officially adopted for service in any numbers. I open the gas port on the 605 replicas to a specific diameter and have had no reliablity issues with mine, nor any negative reports from customers. The flash hider is also permanently attached so the barrel length meets the 16" requirement. Another interesting fact about the 605B was it had a 4-position selector... safe, semi, auto, and at the 6:00 position was burst.

You may have also noticed the rifle that my wife is shooting has a M14 bipod attachment. This is not just an A1 with a bipod. It is a model 606 replica. It used the M14 bipod with special adapter as shown, it had a nylon buffer (which I replicated as well), and a heavy barrel. It's actually a really nice shooter. The 606 was tested for military use, but not adopted.

The M231 replica was a real challenge. I had to farm out the work on the front collar, but beyond that, the fire control group on the authentic M231 is completely different than that of the M16 (it fires from an open bolt). As a result, on the M231, there is no hammer pin as the M16 has. So, to make my replica as authentic as possible, I had to make a self contained "hammer/trigger pack" that fits down in the receiver. So, there is no need for a visible hammer pin on the replica. Yeah, I know, I'm nuts... I also had to make the authentic "fat head" style trigger pin, and a fake "fat head" sear pin head is actually attached to the selector plate, It is the head of the pin only, and doesn't enter the lower at all. If you remove the selector plate, the fake pin head comes off with the plate.

Thanks again,
    John Thomas
    I could have sworn I've seen your M231 somewhere else before, maybe another forum?. It's an enormous undertaking, and an incredible result. That kind of innovation, skill and dedication is praiseworthy. On a related note... that buttstock really looks like it was the inspiration for AAC's "Honey Badger" PDW, at least in the locking mechanism and buffer tube.

Thanks for the info on the M605B and M608. I'm not up to speed on all the early AR variants, but I find it fascinating to learn about them. Maybe I should start by expanding my Collector Grade library out of the WWII era
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    ... Maybe I should start by expanding my Collector Grade library out of the WWII era
    For any of you guys that are interested in these types of guns, I highly recommend the book "The Black Rifle." As with any publication, there are a few mistakes here and there that have been pointed out, and the organization is a little tough to follow, but the information in the book is really, really good and in depth. I'm sure many of you have the book, but I want to recommend it to those who don't.

John Thomas

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Mr. Thomas, thank you for taking the time to post your work. It truly is art.

Mr. Vickers, thank you for introducing him to us.
    Although it isn't AR15 related, some of you may appreciate another replica that I made (pictured below). From the Cold War era, it is a replica of an uncommon military issue pistol, the Hi-Standard HDM, silenced pistol. It was used by the OSS, and other "special" individuals.

John Thomas

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast