Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: XCR-M 308

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    For other than the above 6.8 is a far better choice for a foot of barrel, plus it comes in a smaller and lighter gun.
    If you can float the ammo cost. Most can't.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    If you can float the ammo cost. Most can't.
    I don't buy the argument. This is a serious use carbine. $1 round 6.8 vs $.50 for 7.62 is true but mags and gear and everything else you have to purchase that is 7.62 specific adds up too.

Chris

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCK View Post
    I don't buy the argument. This is a serious use carbine. $1 round 6.8 vs $.50 for 7.62 is true but mags and gear and everything else you have to purchase that is 7.62 specific adds up too.

Chris
    You can get steel cased 7.62 for less than $0.30 a shot. Brass cased for less than $0.50. The cheapest 6.8 I've seen is about $85 a shot. The best 7.62 magazines are PMAGs which are less than $20. In order to get 6.8 magazines that are of equal quality you'd have to go with PRI magazines which are just under $40.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the 6.8 is the ideal assault rifle cartridge, but it just isn't economical viable for most people when 5.56 or other alternatives are so much cheaper and more developed.
    Last edited by Entropy; 08-16-10 at 22:48.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thread drift......let's get back on track.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    price wise, the number of $2495 has been bandied about

Frankly I respect that the company has asked the community what they want for a barrel length option, and what caliber conversions they would like to see.

18.6" seems to be the most popular request, followed by the 16" and 20" versions. Personally I think they will release two barrel lengths. I've been told that the longer barrels need a differnt gas block position than the shorter ones, so I'll bet we see one in a 20" and one in a 16". It appears that the only option up front will be a heavy barrel, but you never know.

as to caliber conversions it looks like 260 and 243 are the most popular, although personally I've never actually seen any .260 ammo for sale anywhere. I expect folks will figure that out after they buy the conversion kit tho.

the new stock is planned for release as well. I'd also expect to see the ambi mag release on the -M too.

this is all just my SWAG based on several conversations with Alex in the past as well as bits and pieces of intel gathered recently from various sources that I trust to be accurate.

VB is bound by a non Disclosure Agreement, so he cant say much to confirm anything, I am not bound by that but dont have nearly the access either.

All of this is of course subject to the whims of the supply and production system and the designer, so it could change tomorrow.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 08-17-10 at 00:46.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O View Post

All of this is of course subject to the whims of the supply and production system and the designer, so it could change tomorrow.
    Jack-O,
    As we've discussed on other forums, I'm a little skeptical that the XCR-M will be ready for prime time when it is released. For the benefit of those not following TOS, there are several reasons for the skepticism. First, we've heard similar claims as far back as 3 years ago. Also, there are no pictures of production models. Finally, my concern about the solicitation of barrel lengths is based on the notion that the piston system will have to differ depending on barrel length. This implies that the consumers will beta-test the early production models if the weapon is released in a couple of months.

Also, I'd much rather see RobArms improve their service and support for existing platforms rather that add a whole new system to support.

Anyway, I'm willing to eat some crow if there is a successful release of the XCR-M with reliable support and service in a couple of months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    Finally, my concern about the solicitation of barrel lengths is based on the notion that the piston system will have to differ depending on barrel length.
    Robarm did the same thing with the -L way back, and the piston design is the same for the 18", 16", 14.5", 12" and 11"

The piston design does change for the Mini and Micro/Pistol.
    Last edited by variablebinary; 08-17-10 at 04:30.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Somehow I don't see this showing up any time soon. The "improved stock" has been talked about since I first found about the XCR (about 2 years ago). I'm with other folks, I think they should make sure they can support the existing product line before jumping into a new pool and trying to swim. Just my 2 cents.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    Rated21R: And what makes you think they cannot support the existing product line? I have never had a problem getting spare parts or any upgrades I wanted to make. That includes the new designed gas plug when it came out, the new designed trigger when it came out, new design bolt stop and ambi-safety. In fact I have been able to get anything I have ordered (short of a new rifle) in a week or so. There was a recall on "some" (low serial numbers) firing pin's and bolts. They sent me new ones without haveing to send them my old ones first.

Just my experience with RA so far during the past 6 years,
    MadDog (yes, that is how long I have had my XCR)

Feedback Score
    Some comments apparently from Alex, under the screen name "kolob".

OK. Some Comments.

We had a design for this rifle over 6 years ago. However, we had to completely redesign and re-test all the major parts - upper, lower, bolt, barrel, extension, carrier, operating rod, etc. We could not use our design from years ago because it was done wrong and would not have worked. Anyone who think that this is just a "scale up" knows very little about firearms design.

The picture that was posted gives you the general idea but you are all trying guess too much. The upper receiver of the production units will be longer. It is not known yet whether or not the gas system will be completely covered by upper receiver. The upper receiver has 1913 rails that are not grooved down the middle. (We can groove them if you want us to for an additional charge).

The barrel is not stainless. It's just a test unit and we were just too lazy to phosphate finish the barrel. The chrome lined 18.6" barrel shoots under .75" and under repeatedly. It's 1/10 shooting 168 gr stuff. We'll probably offer both 1/10 and 1/12.

The controls are completely ambidextrous except the charging handle. If the rifle were turned over, it looks exactly like you think it would. No there is not and there will never be a folding charging handle. The hole purpose of the charging handle is so you can get to it quickly.

The design of the XCR-M is actually more refined than the XCR-L. Better fit and finish. We incorporated all we learned from five years of making the the XCR-L into the XCR-M. THERE WILL BE NO UPGRADES OR CHANGES TO THIS DESIGN. We do plan to offer .260 and .243 Remington calibers shortly after we begin selling the .30

It will have a variety of options for stocks including our new do it all stock. The stock is not going to be shown until we're ready to do so (which shouldn't be too much longer). I don't want copycats like Fagpul and Femington to see it just yet. I will say that the stock is almost all metal and there's only plastic for the butt pad and adjustable cheek rest.

The price is going to be about $2500 retail including the new stock. I guaranty it will be worth it.

It does have a lot of parts commonality with the XCR-L. There's only about 25 parts that are different from the XCR-L but they're big parts. The M uses all the same trigger parts, bolt hold open, etc

We may also make our own sights for this rifle. Feel free to give us suggestions on the rifle or sight. Email us at tech@robarm.com.

We'll post some pics of the finalized rifle with the new stock shortly.
    Just a couple more comments:

VB and Aziator have signed NDA agreements. That's the only way they have gotten sneak peeks at stuff. We let them have sneak peaks so they can comment on our stuff without us loosing the right to receive patents etc. I wish I could show you all the stuff as soon as I think of it and get your opinion before wasting hundreds of thousands or millions of development dollars.

Regarding service, we miss Terra. She was not fired but needed a change. We fired all the remaining service and assembly staff and rehired some young vibrant guys who care about the quality of the work they're doing. The goal is to never ship a less than perfect firearm. We have have made radical changes in our assembly and service department that will ensure that we don't miss anything. It may still happen but very infrequently. The design of the XCR is good. When the parts are made right, the rifle is AK reliable or very close to it.

All rifles and parts leaving the factory right now have to go through two levels of scrutiny in an effort to make sure each rifle works perfectly. It takes a little longer but will result in a much better customer experience.
    By the end of the month, we should be able to turn around service problems in less than a week provided we are not missing a certain barrel in a certain configuration. It takes a couple weeks for us to turn around barrels.

Regarding the Color of the XCR-M, we will offer Black, OD Green, FDE, and perhaps some other colors.
    http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,8394.0/all.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast