Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sayoc / Headhunter Blades "Rat"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I know this is subjective but is it worth the $500? I WILL be buying a defensive fixed blade would I be better off going with a $250ish Joe Watson option, or is the Headhunter really worth double the price. I try to maintain a buy once cry once methodology, and while the price is not a deal breaker, $500 is not a small drop in the bucket. The most attractive feature of the Rat to me is the grip design. It looks like it will be a faster more positive draw under stress and be less likely to slide or move once deployed.

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I have owned one for over a year now (back when you had to get KD to vouch for you just to get to buy one). Great knife and the sheath system is fantastic for carrying in just about any type of clothing (swim shorts, over a instructor belt, whatever).

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfireman View Post
    I know this is subjective but is it worth the $500? I WILL be buying a defensive fixed blade would I be better off going with a $250ish Joe Watson option, or is the Headhunter really worth double the price. I try to maintain a buy once cry once methodology, and while the price is not a deal breaker, $500 is not a small drop in the bucket. The most attractive feature of the Rat to me is the grip design. It looks like it will be a faster more positive draw under stress and be less likely to slide or move once deployed.
    The headhunter comes with a very nice trainer. Joe makes trainers so to get a proper price comparison you'd need to see how much he charges for his.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    At the time, I hadn't seen anything this well thought out (all around) so I had no problem paying it. I will admit though that I have a knife fetish and $500 isn't a lot of money to me.

C4

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I would say that it balances out because you're getting the sheath and the trainer. Joe Watson knives are great, but once you factor in the trainer with the live blade, you're pushing $500 anyways.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    At the time, I hadn't seen anything this well thought out (all around) so I had no problem paying it. I will admit though that I have a knife fetish and $500 isn't a lot of money to me.

C4
    You say "at the time", are there any better alternatives hat are similar you would suggest? You are definitely leaning me towards the Rat so far. I would much rather grit my teeth through a larger expense and buy the best now and not have to sell it down the road in lieu of something better suited for the task.

Quote Originally Posted by gun71530 View Post
    I would say that it balances out because you're getting the sheath and the trainer. Joe Watson knives are great, but once you factor in the trainer with the live blade, you're pushing $500 anyways.
    Good point

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    You say "at the time", are there any better alternatives hat are similar you would suggest? You are definitely leaning me towards the Rat so far. I would much rather grit my teeth through a larger expense and buy the best now and not have to sell it down the road in lieu of something better suited for the task.

Good point
    If I may stay in my "lane," I am not a fixed blade/knife fighting guru (much more knowledgeable folks out there than I). So there could be some options out there that I am unaware of, but I haven't seen any yet (to date) that I like more than my RAT.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    If I may stay in my "lane," I am not a fixed blade/knife fighting guru (much more knowledgeable folks out there than I). So there could be some options out there that I am unaware of, but I haven't seen any yet (to date) that I like more than my RAT.

C4
    That's good enough for me. Thank you for your candor, it is very appreciated.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    That's good enough for me. Thank you for your candor, it is very appreciated.
    As most on here will validate, unbridled "candor" isn't my problem.

C4

Feedback Score
    Objectively, no, it's not worth it. You can find a ABS journeyman bladesmith to make a custom work of art to your specifications, differentially heat treated, from high end steel, for less money.

The people who buy this knife are those that buy into the Sayoc mystique or those that like to drop names of trainers they took a class from.

You don't have to spend $500 to get a good self defense knife and a trainer.

(I make knives on a 2x72 grinder and a paint can forge I built myself for less than Rat knife.)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been carrying mine for the last two days. Shitty sheath. ETA: this is in reference to the Spyderco Reverse Fixed.

Chris
    Last edited by CCK; 04-03-15 at 17:02.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast