Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a good 10.5 barrel these days?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My suppressed shorty wont even strip another round off the mag most of the time if the can is off. It runs a smooth as a rifle with the can on though.
    Specs and port size?

Feedback Score
    I had a FN chf, rainier Mountain barrel, cut down to 10.8" and the gas port was untouched at 069

A5 buffer works well but wouldn't lock back with Ecarrier, which from my understanding is predictable so I'm surprised others use it on small port sbr's with success. Isn't that the specific setup it would be worst for?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My suppressed shorty wont even strip another round off the mag most of the time if the can is off. It runs a smooth as a rifle with the can on though.
    I have 10.5" sbr I shoot mostly suppressed with a Specwar 556K. I put a CustomTune .067 port in the fsb. I'm using a carbine spring and standard full auto carrier. I tried it out at the range today. It ran fine on an H3 buffer with a little gas to the face still. Unsuppressed it wouldn't strip a new round even after going down to a carbine buffer. I was hoping to find a gas port that I could tune for suppressed/unsuppressed use by changing buffer weights but I struck out.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    I have 10.5" sbr I shoot mostly suppressed with a Specwar 556K. I put a CustomTune .067 port in the fsb. I'm using a carbine spring and standard full auto carrier. I tried it out at the range today. It ran fine on an H3 buffer with a little gas to the face still. Unsuppressed it wouldn't strip a new round even after going down to a carbine buffer. I was hoping to find a gas port that I could tune for suppressed/unsuppressed use by changing buffer weights but I struck out.
    Maybe swap in an A5?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That's what I'm thinking about trying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    I had a FN chf, rainier Mountain barrel, cut down to 10.8" and the gas port was untouched at 069

A5 buffer works well but wouldn't lock back with Ecarrier, which from my understanding is predictable so I'm surprised others use it on small port sbr's with success. Isn't that the specific setup it would be worst for?
    Port was 069 on their 14.5 CAR?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-89708.html

I tried that like seven years ago. Was definitely smoother than a traditional rifle but it wouldn't cycle unsupp no matter what I tried.

If I were snagging a 10.5" today it would be SOLGW. They don't get ridiculous with their port sizes like some other folks have.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    The reality of this arrangement is the Specwar 556k generates significant backpressure, despite the small volume. It makes it difficult to find the right spot for suppressed/unsuppressed use with only a buffer swap, unless you don't mind gas in your face. If you use a 30 caliber suppressor it's much easier to get what you want.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    The reality of this arrangement is the Specwar 556k generates significant backpressure, despite the small volume. It makes it difficult to find the right spot for suppressed/unsuppressed use with only a buffer swap, unless you don't mind gas in your face. If you use a 30 caliber suppressor it's much easier to get what you want.
    I have an Omega. I should experiment and see if it works any better.

I shoot it almost entirely suppressed. I was hoping for flexibility. I may go down in port size and just have it be dedicated suppressed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    Port was 069 on their 14.5 CAR?
    Yep, I went with rainier because I like them and they were the only company I could find selling the FN chf barrel that would tell me the port size. They actually answered the phone and put me on hold to go check. They said 068 but it might be closer to 069

For the guy above debating the A5, mine was tested with a standard carbine buffer and functioned with pmc bronze when built. Then I switched it over to a A5H1 lower. I'm surprised you have issues with the carbine buffer.

Regular spring and bcg? My 11.5 bcm loves the green spring and Ecarrier but the smaller port 10.8 did not

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast