Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A Brief Review of the Springfield Professional Operator

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
    As a former owner of two SA Professionals that was a very fair and comprehensive review. Better than anything you could read in any gun rag.
    this review makes me want one even more...i would gladly sell or trade off my les baer PII to fund a professional

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Great review!! I have had a Springfield Custom Shop gun for just over a year now. I know what you are talking about when you say most people don't understand the difference between a custom shop gun and a TRP. I have had many semi-custom 1911's, to include Baer and Wilson and my custom shop gun is (for me) better than the others. I really thing Springfeild Custom is the best kept secret in custom 1911's. When you have them build a gun, you are getting an unreal value for what you get.

I have the custom carry, which is built to the same mechanical and accuracy specs as the pro, it just has armory kote finish instead of black T, no ambi safety, and no magwell. It also comes standard with a smooth front strap, but I had mine checkered by the custom shop at 25 lpi. I love this 1911 and will never part with it. Mine also has the Springfield NM barrel as opposed to the Nowlin which used to also come standard with the custom carry build.

Pics

"You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had a TRP, and it was the most accurate pistol ive ever fired. More so than my Ed Brown Special Forces. The Professional sounds like it would be the best value in a high quality 1911, that one could get. Maybe some day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A LITTLE UPDATE NINE MONTHS LATER:

So after nine months of use I have approximately 4,500 rounds down the barrel give or take a few. I have experienced exactly 3 FTF, but I attribute those to a weak magazine spring in a CMC Powermag that had been somewhat abused.

I used this gun in Todd Green's Aim Fast, Hit Fast hosted in Sacramento back in March. I used not-so-clean Wolf ammo shooting around a little over 500 rounds a day and the gun never failed me.

I have carried this gun on-duty continuously since I posted my first review here. The Black-T has held up as I would expect with the gun showing very minimal wear (slight wear on beavertail, slight wear on butt of MSH and wear on barrel hood) as I would expect of that excellent product.

I have grown accustomed the to the 20 LPI checkering and no longer mind it, although it will tear into your clothing when carrying concealed. My biggest complaint about the gun is still the weight which I believe comes from the S&W magwell and light rail dustcover. If I had it to do over again (and had the choice) I would have purchased a Pro with a standard frame. I know we can go back and forth about the merits and detractions of a WML, but I simply prefer my 1911's sans lights, but that is a whole other post.

The Springfield Professional is not a Glock. It still requires the maintenance and understanding that the 1911 platform requires. The gun itself will not make you a better shooter either. What they are is a simple and solidly built 1911.

…and no, these are not cheap guns, but if you are trained on the 1911 platform and comfortable with it; both its strengths and limitations, and want one super reliable 1911 for police duty (or as a private citizen) I cannot think of a better gun. It comes with everything you need and nothing you do not and best of all…it works.

Picture taken by 45R of my sun-burned neck during Aim Fast, Hit Fast

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Glad to hear that she is treating you well, and you are doing the same in return.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great review
    I ran my Pro (non-railed) thru the Tigerswan one day pistol and then the three day pistol/carbine class.
    I was expecting the 20lpi to be an issue with so many rounds, I put on some gloves for an hour or so, and then took them off. I was expecting some sore rough hands, but I did not have any issues. It was a hot/humid few days and I felt like the 20lpi was "just right".
    I was surprised to see that out of the 12-13 people in the class each session; there was one other Pro in the class also. (both non-railed)
    There was a bit of ribbing between the 1911 guys and the glock guys.
    I found it funny that the line I got was "your 1911 is using technology that was derived when the model T was on the road"; but when I shot the SCAR vs an AR platform the line was "these AR"s have been around since the 60's they have pretty much evolved and worked out all the bugs"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I too love my Pro (earlier, non-railed version) and took it through TigerSwan this spring - the one day followed by the two day pistol sessions. Kyle and JD both asked throughout, 'That 1911 gonna make it??' It did, with nary a hickup and Kyle felt obliged to post a pic of it on his blog.

But, I'm just an old 1911 guy......................

Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Springfield Professional may be my favorite handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger325 View Post
    I too love my Pro (earlier, non-railed version) and took it through TigerSwan this spring - the one day followed by the two day pistol sessions. Kyle and JD both asked throughout, 'That 1911 gonna make it??' It did, with nary a hickup and Kyle felt obliged to post a pic of it on his blog.

But, I'm just an old 1911 guy......................
    It is right there in the April 13 or 15 entry:
    http://www.kyledefoor.com/search?upd...&max-results=7

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the link Ed!
    Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    So . . . the $2,000 question that's been burning in my mind . . . should I send my TRP in to Springfield Custom Shop and have them make it a Pro?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast