Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust your LIFE to this? (Bar-Sto barrel complaint)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    I can count on 0 fingers the one-night stands, hand-shandies, and blowies I've gotten from hot chicks for having an "aesthetically-pleasant" bullet hose.
    That's because only good, decent women that are worth settling down with appreciate that sort of thing
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Crusader-quot

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    LOL!

Well played, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    That's because only good, decent women that are worth settling down with appreciate that sort of thing
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Crusader-quot

Feedback Score
    OK, I kinda been following this, wasn't sure about whether to post or not. I can see both sides of this pretty easily. I like build and shoot guns, I've been working as a gunsmith full time for awhile, and off and on for awhile longer, as was a machinist for 20+ yrs.
    So, the barrel. The little cutout for the head of the recoil spring guide is off center. It may or may not make a difference, I don't have it, I cannot try it. It's only purpose is to control the spring so you don't have to hold it all together while assembling the pistol. However, depending on exactly how much the guide moves off that step when assembled, it could create a rub spot, and the plastic guide will lose.
    I'd want it straight.
    Why didn't the buyer fit and try the barrel?
    Because the moment he takes a file to it, a warranty return is off the table. This seems totally missed here.
    They "fix" it. There are two options. Weld up the area and re-cut it, killing the heat treatment right near the chamber, or set it up and simply cut it correctly. Looks like option #2. Now, since metal was removed off to one side in the initial cut, there is no putting it back without the welder, and all that entails. It's gonna look like that. The little bit of radius in the back corner could signify a dull cutter, or they could all look like that. It's only issue is that it's a stretched out radius instead of a truly circular one. Not as pretty (symmetrical), but now fully functional.
    The burr? Well, yeah, that should've been removed, that was plain sloppy, especially for a customer already upset, you know it's getting scrutinized when it gets back. Ideally, the guy should've been sent another one, fix that one and put it back in the bin. Maybe go over it, make sure there isn't anything else wrong on it.
    As far as "it's getting fitted, filed on anyways". Not in that spot, it isn't. That should be done.
    Did the customer screw up? Maybe, maybe not. Calling in one week was a bit early, as I'm sure the call tag wasn't for overnight shipping. Ok, he wasn't happy with the fix, and that's his prerogative. He can demand a replacement. I wasn't in one the phone convo, so idk about that.
    Yes, technically they fixed it. But, they did not satisfy the customer. This, we know.
    Maybe the customer was demanding, but then, that is the nature of business with the public, some are pretty easy to make happy, some require a bit more.

Just my 02.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    This is essentially the same back and forth discussion that was had when people started posting photos of their brand new Colt 6920s coming out of the box all scratched up and with incomplete roll marks.

The "shooters" said it doesn't matter and you should ignore cosmetic imperfections since they don't affect performance. The other half of buyers expressed dissatisfaction with their brand new Colt rifle looking junky.

I don't know anything about the manufacturing and QC process of firearms and parts. Is there two different QC inspection lines on these things? Like everything on the inside that you can't see MUST be 100% up to spec because it matters, but the outside doesn't have to pass QC since it's only aesthetics?

That aside, where is the line of tolerance for the "shooters?" If a brand new Aimpoint micro showed up with the finish all scratched up and the lettering on the dial only half done would it matter, or would that be considered bitching about the dumbest shit?
    With some of the folks on here it depends on whether they are buying or selling and which side of the bed they got up on.

I find it humorous.

But back to the Bar-Sto barrel - that 270.00 you pay for that barrel also factors in the fact that Bar-Sto barrels have been used to win just about everything in pistol shooting.

I think it would have nice had it looked nicer, but obviously Irv Stone III feels function over aesthetics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    They "fix" it. There are two options. Weld up the area and re-cut it, killing the heat treatment right near the chamber, or set it up and simply cut it correctly. Looks like option #2. Now, since metal was removed off to one side in the initial cut, there is no putting it back without the welder, and all that entails. It's gonna look like that. The little bit of radius in the back corner could signify a dull cutter, or they could all look like that. It's only issue is that it's a stretched out radius instead of a truly circular one. Not as pretty (symmetrical), but now fully functional.
    Thanks for that perspective.

Feedback Score
    Could've been worse. Like the guy we had a liberty mystic for. It was still in nfa jail, but he came in, wanted to know if he could have a quick conjugal. We had a place out back I used for testing, no real range, but sure, why not. I was looking up something on the computer, so he and the shop owner go out back.
    Comes back a few minutes later, guy looks like somebody just shot his dog.
    Owner drops the suppressor on the counter in front of me, it rattles. The mystic is a monocore.

The threads on the barrel were real pretty.
    Not straight, but pretty.

NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    For me, if a blem is external, and does not affect usage, I don’t care. My rifles get Krylon, anyway, generally. My pistols will get holster wear, and might see files or sandpaper, if necessary. For example, I de-flashed and “melted” some sharp edges on my PX-4 frame with files and sandpaper.

If a blem is internal, I only care about function and longevity. I don’t mind taking a file to a part, within reason.

If the lens on a new Aimpoint were scratched, I would consider it a functional problem. Body of it, not so much. I might be concerned that the seller shipped me a used model or one that had been returned, however.

I buy blems or display models on purpose, as available for cost savings.
    So how much is a first quality Bar-Sto sans blems?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Could've been worse. Like the guy we had a liberty mystic for. It was still in nfa jail, but he came in, wanted to know if he could have a quick conjugal. We had a place out back I used for testing, no real range, but sure, why not. I was looking up something on the computer, so he and the shop owner go out back.
    Comes back a few minutes later, guy looks like somebody just shot his dog.
    Owner drops the suppressor on the counter in front of me, it rattles. The mystic is a monocore.

The threads on the barrel were real pretty.
    Not straight, but pretty.

maybe a stray weld bead? or expensive baby rattle

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    So how much is a first quality Bar-Sto sans blems?
    $270. As far as I’m concerned that blem is invisible when assembled, and until someone shoots it, I imagine it will work fine, thus would not bother me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    $270. As far as I’m concerned that blem is invisible when assembled, and until someone shoots it, I imagine it will work fine, thus would not bother me.
    And if he found out your imagining didn't become reality then it is his baby.

http://www.barsto.com/FAQs.cfm?C1=1769

And yes, I know, it is a barrel that requires fitting, but as others have pointed out some of the areas at issue aren't supposed to be getting modified.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast