Page 12 of 102 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Froglube

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Actually this makes no sense at all because the FrogLube actually heats and disperses. I can only assume that you didn't remove whatever else you previously used and there was som kind of reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by krichbaum View Post
    I've been trying Froglube on one of my AR's. FWIW, it's a 16" midlength, never used with a suppressor. It seems to work ok, but when it's not hot it seems kind of gummed up. The bolt is really sticky in the carrier. This worries me a bit because until it heats up it acts like it's really dirty even though it's not.

Do you wipe off every bit of excess lube when you clean/lube the weapon? I wipe off the inside of the receiver and the outside of the bcg, but haven't really wiped down the bolt and inside of carrier after lubing. It looks like that's the problem, just wondering if that makes sense?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It seems to work ok, but when it's not hot it seems kind of gummed up. The bolt is really sticky in the carrier. This worries me a bit because until it heats up it acts like it's really dirty even though it's not.

Do you wipe off every bit of excess lube when you clean/lube the weapon? I wipe off the inside of the receiver and the outside of the bcg, but haven't really wiped down the bolt and inside of carrier after lubing. It looks like that's the problem, just wondering if that makes sense?
    Leave the "excess." It is not going to provide enough resistance to encumber functioning. It will also heat up in to a liquid real fast.

If it is working for you, don't invent a reason not to like it.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a reason not to like this stuff. Prior to using it, I cleaned off the clp that was previously used by spraying everything with brake cleaner. Then I further cleaned everything with alcohol. For the initial application I used a heat gun to heat up the disassembled parts of the bcg and applied the paste with a brush. After it cooled I wiped off the excess. I did the same inside the upper. For the barrel I just used the liquid. Then I repeated all of that again on another day. Since then, I just wipe/swab everything after shooting and lube it with the liquid mostly as with any other clp product, wiping off excess everywhere except inside the bcg.

I'm not concerned about how the weapon works once it gets warmed up (even a little). My concern is just when the weapon is cold, the bolt is very sticky in the bcg to the point that I'm a little worried it wouldn't go into battery. I've had that happen before, although not because of a lube or clp. I had an unknown substance inside the bcg and it gummed it up to the point that the bolt would hardly move (I think it was loctite in there). I realize you guys may consider this to be overthinking the situation. I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong with the Froglube, that's all.

ETA: I believe I asked about the Froglube reacting with other lubes or clp products in a previous post. This is one reason why I asked about that. I really don't think there is anything there other than the Froglube at this point.
    Last edited by krichbaum; 01-07-12 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    anybody received their sample yet? I have not heard a peep but am very excited to try it out

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I put froglube on my suppressed carbean today. I had topped it off before, but that was on top of other lubes and filth.

I wiped all the old lube off and Frogged my bean. Shit! This stuff is noticeably better. Working the BCG manually feels like it's on glass. I can't wait to shoot it and relube and repeat to see.

I wish someone had turned me on to this stuff for gun lube earlier.
    Last edited by markm; 01-07-12 at 20:44.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    1. Don't wipe off the excess.

2. You are worrying about nothing.

3. If you pull the charging handle to the rear as you are supposed to and you release it there should be no issues at all. YMMV

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a reason not to like this stuff. Prior to using it, I cleaned off the clp that was previously used by spraying everything with brake cleaner. Then I further cleaned everything with alcohol. For the initial application I used a heat gun to heat up the disassembled parts of the bcg and applied the paste with a brush. After it cooled I wiped off the excess. I did the same inside the upper. For the barrel I just used the liquid. Then I repeated all of that again on another day. Since then, I just wipe/swab everything after shooting and lube it with the liquid mostly as with any other clp product, wiping off excess everywhere except inside the bcg.

I'm not concerned about how the weapon works once it gets warmed up (even a little). My concern is just when the weapon is cold, the bolt is very sticky in the bcg to the point that I'm a little worried it wouldn't go into battery. I've had that happen before, although not because of a lube or clp. I had an unknown substance inside the bcg and it gummed it up to the point that the bolt would hardly move (I think it was loctite in there). I realize you guys may consider this to be overthinking the situation. I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong with the Froglube, that's all.

ETA: I believe I asked about the Froglube reacting with other lubes or clp products in a previous post. This is one reason why I asked about that. I really don't think there is anything there other than the Froglube at this point.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    I just received a new Noveske upper yesterday. I used some Slip 725 to clean of the BCG and the inside of the upper receiver. After heating the BCG I slathered the paste on. Smells delightful, I'm almost a little excited to get gassed out when the can comes in...

As IG stated, I didn't wipe off the excess. It seems to stay on the BCG without working its way into the lower or out of the weapon.

My concern is just when the weapon is cold, the bolt is very sticky in the bcg to the point that I'm a little worried it wouldn't go into battery.
    My rifle was sitting outside for a few hours today before I got a chance to sight it in, the temp was probably around 38F. The FrogLube was thick and 'pasty' just as it should be but the action was still smooth when I racked the charging handle and let it slam home (don't ride it), no issues at all. It was nice and wet after the first few shots.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    I live fairly close to the Coast, for corrosion protection I wipe my guns with a Hoppe's silicone cloth about every 2 weeks - including my carry gun. I have yet to find rust on any of my guns. It's a easy, quick & cheap way to protect your firearm from rust.
    Hope this helps anyone with rust problems - wipe your gun down more often if you see the need. Froglube is a lube and should be used as such.
    Actually, it's labeled as a CLP and has kept me from having to wipe down the Warren Tactical sights on my carry gun for a long time. Used to be that I'd have to wipe them down once a month or so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    anybody received their sample yet? I have not heard a peep but am very excited to try it out
    I caved and ordered some from Brownell's a while back.

Subjective observations follow below:
    • Frog Lube does help remove grime and carbon. I like being able to get "hands-on" without worrying about poisonous junk on my skin.
    • Frog Lube melts at a lower temperature than I had expected, versus, say, Ox Yoke or Bore Butter. Viscosity while liquid leaves a bit to be desired if you wish to depend on FL as a boundary lubricant.
    • Frog Lube leaves a pleasant waxy (not greasy, IMHO) film behind which appears to do a decent job of sealing metal surfaces against external sources of oxidation.
    • Unlike comparable non-petroleum products for the muzzleloading market, Frog Lube does not freeze rock hard, nor does it get hard enough to crack. If you're OK with Frog Lube at room temperature, I think it will treat you well in freezing temperatures too.

FL is now my #1 choice for wiping down knives. It smells better than Ballistol, and is simpler to apply than Renaissance Wax.
    Oh no, not another lube thread! Read this first: Lubrication 101.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by extrication View Post
    Great thread. I've learned to never store my ammo with potential primer solvents. I've also learned to never use abrasives to strip away the protective surfaces of my weapons if I plan to store them in salt water. Maybe I'll just keep them as clean as possible, lubricate them well and remove contaminants ASAP. Proper corrosion protection and lubrication only changes the intervals between maintenance, it doesn't change the necessity as dictated by the environment of the deployed location. Deferred maintenance is for doomed weapons. Very similar to automotive care.
    I like your "Deferred maintenance is for doomed weapons.". I think this is great to use as a quote. To many people shot and put away. Cleaning and proper maint of weapons of weapons. I have gone to dry lubrication instead of the wet and gummy stuff. Try Rem® Drilube™. Teflon-based lubricant provides a tough, non-congealing film without the residue of dry graphite lubes.

Page 12 of 102 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast