Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 65 gr. Sierra GameKing

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

65 gr. Sierra GameKing

Does anyone have any terminal performance experience using the 65 grain Sierra GameKing? I am wondering how it would stack up against the various open tip match bullets recommended.

The search function returns lots of hits for Sierra, but I am not finding any data for the 65 gr. GameKing. I have yet to fire it in an AR platform, but in a bolt action 1/9 twist Winchester 70 heavy barrel it can turn in .5 to .6 inch five round groups at 100 yards.

Feedback Score
    I don't recall that we have ever tested it.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 12-27-10 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    Open tip match bullets are usually not really designed to expand in tissue. The jackets are often heavier than normal and the open tip smaller than those designed for varmints.

Based on my experience shooting rockchucks and deer with that caliber, the soft point bullets are consistently better than hollow points. The front section of the hollow point will often just fold, when the soft point will actually expand. On the other hand, it may expand too violently at close range on a larger animal and give insufficient penetration. So it depends on what you are planning to shoot.
    Dave

INNOVATION IS SELDOM ACCOMPLISHED WITHOUT CONTROVERSY.
    My first rule of a gunfight, thanks to John Farnam's wise advice. "Get away from there!"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was thinking of the possibility of it being used in a defensive role and am thinking it should fall into the same performance niche as the 64 gr. Winchester Power Point and Nosler 60 gr. Partition. If anybody has any penetration data to share, I would be happy to read it.

I understand that a softpoint expands while a match bullet fragments, but it interests me because the Sierra 65 gr. GameKing would be useful for 1/9 twist AR15s. I suppose the comparison should be between the Sierra 65 gr. GK and the 69 gr. MatchKing for that twist rate.

I already use the 75 gr. Hornady open tip match in 1/7 twist carbines as one of the recommendations by DocGKR. Thanks for the comments.

Feedback Score
    The 60 gr Nosler Partition is head and shoulders better than the old Win 64 gr PP JSP...

Feedback Score
    My son shot a small doe with a 65gr SGK. It didn't look like it caused a lot of damage, even having me wonder if it expanded at all. He's taken a few other deer with the Winchester 64gr PP and those seemed OK.

I'm not trying to draw a strong parallel between hunting and self-defense based on those scenarios, but I would definitely stick with something that's been tested and is a known good quantity.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Open tip match bullets are usually not really designed to expand in tissue. The jackets are often heavier than normal and the open tip smaller than those designed for varmints.

Based on my experience shooting rockchucks and deer with that caliber, the soft point bullets are consistently better than hollow points. The front section of the hollow point will often just fold, when the soft point will actually expand. On the other hand, it may expand too violently at close range on a larger animal and give insufficient penetration. So it depends on what you are planning to shoot.
    The GameKings that I'm familiar with are softpoint projectiles.

Keith

Feedback Score
    It looks like Bill Wilson is loading the 65gr Gameking in a tactical load for .223 rifles under the Wilson Combat banner. His site lists it for hunting and for self defense. I have alot of respect for Bill and wouldn't think he'd put his name on it if it wasn't a solid performer but I would also like to see some gel test results before considering a change over.

Wilson Combat Ammo
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    The GameKings that I'm familiar with are softpoint projectiles.

Keith
    They come in soft point and hollow point, and even a couple FMJ's (?). My department used the Federal 55 grain HP Game King.
    Last edited by Jake'sDad; 02-19-11 at 00:41.

Feedback Score
    I know this is old but I think the gameking soft point is a kick ass bullet for self defense and hunting. It is not a bonded bullet so it will fragment but I would be willing to bet its a pretty good barrier round also.
    The hollow point gameking has a more stout jacket for tougher game animals. I love the gameking soft point and would not hesitate to use it for self defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast