Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round count logs

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have two training handguns and one stainless barreled AR that I just keep a paper spreadsheet for.

My other ARs are not shot as much and were not built from all new parts, so they just get inspected. From what I've seen, most everything on an AR will let you know when it's getting ready to go, except the bolt. They just go whenever they want.

Feedback Score
    I think replacement items are easier to track with a round count log. Similar to a vehicle's suggested maintenance schedule and chart based on mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    What's the purpose? I can see why with a precision rifle but for AR'S and pistols I don't see the value in keeping a log outside of my general estimation based on my shooting habits.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I keep a few Rite in the Rain notebooks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are you posting on a PC or smart phone? I use Google Keep.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wally World Pocket Notebooks. I divide them by using a piece of duct tape to make tabs for high use pistol or rifle. One for notebook for high use pistols and another for rifles.

Only reason I keep them is to track rounds for replacing wear parts. I round to the nearest 10 and keep a running tally, makes the math easier.

They are in the small end pocket of the primary range bag. I place one on each side of my timer which is the only other thing in that pocket. This serves to cushion the timer and as a reminder to jot down the rounds. I still forget

I have a serial number log in on my computer that I use to keep track of the dates I replace parts on pistols I carry.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I have a word document for every firearm, suppressor etc.

Put notes about when or where I purchased and then log rounds and any malfunctions.

I am more interested in failure data etc than total round counts, but those are helpful for recoil spring changes etc.

Along with numbering magazines, how else are you going to remember what happened and when, with what flavor of ammo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    I like to know when it's near time for barrel replacement.
    For anything outside of a precision rifle that time is way down the road and will show up when the groups loosen up too much. You don't need round counts to know that especially since it will vary from barrel to barrel and you'll end up using accuracy as a determination anyways. Should be able to determine whether you've put closer to 10k or 20k rounds on a gun without a log. If you're worried about small parts just change them on a scheduled basis such annual or semi annual etc depending on your shooting schedule rather than a log since the log won't determine when parts will fail.

Tracking failures? They're caused by so many different variables with ammo and mags being the most common culprits that I've never felt the need to track it. I can generally tell an ammo issue from a mag issue so I deal with each accordingly. If it's ammo related and not an anomaly it'll make itself very clear and you won't need a log for that. I don't need a log to remember if my gun didn't like a certain flavor or ammo and a log won't help with the occasional anomaly caused by an error in manufacturing.
    My mags are marked so if it's related to a bad mag and the problem happens more than a few times toss the mag and the problem is solved. I'm not against anyone keeping a log if they feel the need to, just saying it's really not needed as much as some may feel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wahoo95; 11-14-17 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Lol... Round count logs. We don't need no stinking round count logs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Lol... Round count logs. We don't need no stinking round count logs.
    Now that I think of it, I don’t believe Army Unit Amorers track that information like motor pool NCO’s do with vehicles

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I keep a loose estimation based on the amount of components I’ve bought for a specific weapon. I buy bullets and primers by the case so I’m in the ballpark. I let my groups tell me if it’s time to replace a barrel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast