Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Mountain AR-15 Barrels?

Feedback Score

Green Mountain AR-15 Barrels?

Hey guys,

I have recently received a "20,1:8, gov profile barrel from Green Mountain. These folks are pretty well known for making Ruger 10/22 barrels and Barrels for for blackpowder rifles and pistols.

The barrel was ordered by one of my clients and shipped direct to me for assembly of an upper. I won't be anything special or "tacticool". It will be a pretty plain jane build.

GM 20" 1:8 gov profile barrel

Midwest Industries 15" SS tube

Spikes Receiver

BCM BCG ( i'll be head spacing it of course)

A.R.M.S. 71L buis

Not sure what optic he's going to go with.. I'll add that later.

The reason I am bringing it to you attention is that it is VERY reasonably priced and apparently worth a look see from all I've read about them.

I'll post pics and a range report on this build in the near future.

(yes, yes, I finally got a digital camera)

Regards,
    TJ

ETA: Here's a link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog...sriflesbarrels
    Last edited by The_Hammer_Man; 01-27-11 at 16:56.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Their prices look nice for the claimed specs.

Can you test the chamber to see if it's a true 5.56 NATO chamber vs. a .223 Rem?

Do you have the practical ability to measure things like bore diameter and rifling twist to see how well made it is from a precision standpoint?

I read the title and was quite skeptical given that company's background. Not that I've heard of any problems with their black powder and low cost AKM barrels.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/product...aspx?id=GM-M16
    this is the barrel i just bought for an a2 build. it has really thick parkerizing, and the chrome lining looked great. i heard they supply some barrels too colt for one of there rifles.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've had no issues with their 1022 barrels. They have held 1/2" or less at 50yds with the right ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Their prices look nice for the claimed specs.

Can you test the chamber to see if it's a true 5.56 NATO chamber vs. a .223 Rem?

Do you have the practical ability to measure things like bore diameter and rifling twist to see how well made it is from a precision standpoint?

I read the title and was quite skeptical given that company's background. Not that I've heard of any problems with their black powder and low cost AKM barrels.
    funny you should mention these actions....

I intend to perform those tests and a few others such as measuring crown angle and depth and a few other things.

The end product is going to be this guys "tractor" rifle that he takes with him just about everyday. Seems they've been having issues with feral dogs and hogs in his neck of the woods.

If it turns out to be within spec I'll probably get another and torture test it. IE, Do a "dirty 20" thang and just beat the holy hell out of it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hammer_Man View Post

BCM BCG ( i'll be head spacing it of course)
    Just gaging it or actually changing it?
    Last edited by MarkG; 01-28-11 at 07:38.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've had good luck with GM's 10/22 barrels, and I'm pretty sure Ballistic Advantage uses GM blanks for their .22LR AR barrels - mine has been great. Whether that rimfire experience translates to 5.56, no idea.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    If these are as goos as thew rimfire bbls then they will be great. I know for a long time you could not fine a green mountain rimfire bbl, they told people waiting for them that they where concentrating on military and government orders. Could be they where making bbls for Colt. I don't know this as fact just what I've heard.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    Just gaging it or actually changing it?

Ever tried to ream a chromed chamber?

"shudders at the thought"

IF it's out of spec I'll send it back rather than try to modify it.

Remember, it costs time and money to do that sort of thing and 95%+ of my customers cannot/will not pay for that degree of OCDishness on my part.

Also remember in my OP I mentioned that this rifle will be in the cab of this gents tractor or in the back window of his "pick em up" truck.

Optic Update: He's finally decided on a scope. A Burris 3-12x. Not a bad choice considering the price point and in a decent mount it will do him fine for the purpose stated.

Feedback Score
    So anyone have one of there AR barrel and have data on it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast