Page 178 of 408 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 4073

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    They do have a good selection most of the time. Last time I was in there though the guy couldn't tell me anything about the LMT I was looking at. Said he didn't know much about AR's because most of them carried Ak's and that 5.56 was not good enough for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    The combat pawn shop? That place... I respect the guys there, they're doing well and have a range and a huge selection. But I had to hold my tongue because they did not understand gun laws very well, but I didn't want my brother to get in bad with them since he goes there a lot to shoot.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I went into a LGS. It's a retail area and only 1 counter along the wall. Handguns in the case and rifles on the wall. My point is that I am literally 5 feet away from several different employees. I stood at the case right in front of the gun I was going to buy - a brand new Gen3 G19 for $475. Great price when everyone else is selling them for $600+. Now I understand that I don't look like the average gun owner that comes into these stores. I'm young, clean shaven, short hair. I ride a sportbike. But I'm standing at your counter...you could at least ask what the hell I was doing in there.

But instead I was ignored. And I sat...and waited...and no one even looked up at me. When one guy finally walked by me on his way to someone else, I said "Hey, can I buy this G19?" he said "Sure, let me find someone."

Another 5 minutes or so later some guy walks up to me, acts like I'm interrupting him and some 19 year old supermodel getting busy in the back room, and asks "Aight son...ya's wanna buy this one here?" I said yeah, can I see it? He said "Now hold on a minute boy, ya said ya wanted to buy it...not see it. Which is it? Cuz I'm not in the 'bidness' of makin' money off ya seein'". (There's my "dumb thing overheard at a gunstore" quote)

I asked him if he usually sold guns to people without seeing it first. He lied and said yes, hardly any of his customers want to look at guns. They know what they want and they buy it on the spot and that I was wasting his time.

I turned around and left without saying anything. I didn't want to waste anymore of his time.

What is it with these guys? They act like me wanting to give them money is so terrible.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 12-03-13 at 14:47.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    "You know...when you pay more for a Colt...you are mostly just buying their name....these other ARs are just as good or better"

(usually said while pointing to the Bushmaster/Windham, DPMS, Stag or Rock River ARs)

This line has also seen use on me when looking at 1911s.

When I hear this line from a gun store employee...that is code for "I am a total idiot when it comes to ARs and/or 1911s" and I know to ignore every other word out of their mouth during that visit.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    2 stories:
    I emailed a popular vendor here last week...back and forth. It felt like I was either being brushed off or not taken seriously. I inquired about a specific model and some others. They completely ignored the specific model I asked about and offered up another suggestion "Do you want this model?" I said "Yes, that interests me too". They said "Sorry, it's out of stock"...well then why ask if I wanted it?

Then on Friday I find out the specific model I wanted that was in stock went on sale for Cyber Monday! Maybe they didn't want to sell it to me at full price because they already have enough money. Who knows?

Corresponding through email, I guess I understand. You have no idea who you're conversing with but I thought identifying myself as a forum member would at least ring the "Okay, this guy can at least register for a website and isn't a moron" bell.

The second issue is when I went into a LGS. It's a retail area and only 1 counter along the wall. Handguns in the case and rifles on the wall. My point is that I am literally 5 feet away from several different employees. I stood at the case right in front of the gun I was going to buy - a brand new Gen3 G19 for $475. Great price when everyone else is selling them for $600+. Now I understand that I don't look like the average gun owner that comes into these stores. I'm young, clean shaven, short hair. I ride a sportbike. But I'm standing at your counter...you could at least ask what the hell I was doing in there.

But instead I was ignored. And I sat...and waited...and no one even looked up at me. When one guy finally walked by me on his way to someone else, I said "Hey, can I buy this G19?" he said "Sure, let me find someone."

Another 5 minutes or so later some guy walks up to me, acts like I'm interrupting him and some 19 year old supermodel getting busy in the back room, and asks "Aight son...ya's wanna buy this one here?" I said yeah, can I see it? He said "Now hold on a minute boy, ya said ya wanted to buy it...not see it. Which is it? Cuz I'm not in the 'bidness' of makin' money off ya seein'". (There's my "dumb thing overheard at a gunstore" quote)

I asked him if he usually sold guns to people without seeing it first. He lied and said yes, hardly any of his customers want to look at guns. They know what they want and they buy it on the spot and that I was wasting his time.

I turned around and left without saying anything. I didn't want to waste anymore of his time.

What is it with these guys? They act like me wanting to give them money is so terrible.
    Par for the course at most LGS. What does riding a sport bike have to do with anything?
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Par for the course at most LGS. What does riding a sport bike have to do with anything?
    The same thing being young and educated does - I'm an "outsider" to their clique and thus not deserving of any special treatment, you know, like being able to buy stuff at their store.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 12-03-13 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Had the same thing happen to me when I got out of the military a long, long time ago. I had about 28 grand worth of separation pay burning a hole in my pocket. Went to a Nissan dealer to buy a pickup for the drive back to Texas, and got the same speech.

"Son, I'm in the business of selling cars, not indulging people in a showroom." Oh, and can you guess how much I HATE being called "son" by anyone other than my father?

Walked down the street, bought a GMC pickup for cash, drove it back to the Nissan place. Leaned on the horn for 5 minutes in the parking lot, then explained the cash transaction to the assembled sales staff.

Drove the new pickup to a gun store, I wanted to buy a shotgun for the trip home. Same treatment, resulting in production of a roll of hundreds and an extended digit.

Ah, I was not always the calm old fellow I am now.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Ah, I was not always the calm old fellow I am now.
    That's great, and sad at the same time. Things haven't changed at all.

What really irks me is that sometimes I want to buy the item at stores like this just to prove that I'm serious. I don't want to leave and have them think they were right. But principle is a big deal to me.

But the truck thing is just classic. You should see the looks I get when I ask for subsonic ammo. "You do know that the suppressors on rifles you buy are just for show, right?" I wish these places had an attached range that I could use my suppressed AR15s just once in.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    No, what really was classic was the sales manager ripping the "salesman" a new one, when he saw the commission they both lost. That arrogance took about a thousand bucks out of their pockets. And that was a looong time ago, so factor inflation into that.

But living well is the best revenge. I don't really care anymore what some foolish person in a store thinks, and I very, very rarely try and educate them. The market will do that for me, when they slowly go out of business or get fired.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Walked down the street, bought a GMC pickup for cash, drove it back to the Nissan place. Leaned on the horn for 5 minutes in the parking lot, then explained the cash transaction to the assembled sales staff.
    I like your style.

Feedback Score
    It's the same at most stores that sell items that take a great deal of experience and expertise to master. Motorcycle shop, gun store, saw shop. You'll find the same clueless jerks behind the counter at most any of them.
    John

If you spend much time around the guys who really, really know their craft, and who truly live this stuff, you tend to find that they are very soft-spoken and modest -- almost to the extreme. To my mind, that is a model worthy of emulation

AC

Page 178 of 408 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast