Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aero Precision AR-15 Lower - Review

Feedback Score

Aero Precision AR-15 Lower - Review

Recently I started an AR15 pistol build, I decided to take a short cut with the lower I'd use, and went with an "Aero Precision AR-15 Lower" they usually go for around $80 bucks. The things I didnt like about the lower, was the metal was very very soft. Not soft where I could bend it with my hands, but soft as applying light pressure with pliers to install my bolt catch roll pin. The lower when attempting to install this roll pin scratched and scuffed severely. I applied electrical tape to the end of the pliers to avoid scuffing.

Pic below to demonstrate install

Another problem I ran into was trying to install my lower parts kit. I went Stag Arms lpk (lower parts kit) from bravocompany. The lower as a whole (I felt) was incorrectly machined. It seemed like every hole was way too tight for the parts. Example I had to strike the front pivot pin with a ball peen hammer a few times to smooth out the receiver hole. Than flip over the receiver and strike it with a punch. Repeated a few times, still too snug, for a fast take down. Now I know that the take down pins are supposed to be a little snug, but this was ridiculous. Their other issues I ran into, but Im too lazy to continue.

Maybe it was the lower parts kit,.... kinda doubt it. I was going to rip apart my RRA assembled lower, and try the parts in the Aero, havent gotten to that yet.

Maybe the receiver was a lemon, again it was only $80 bucks from my dealer. I've heard great things about their lowers, this just isnt one of them. Next time Im going to play it safe and go with a RRA for $150.
    Last edited by surfinbird; 06-26-10 at 03:52.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    they're one of my favorites.. i used to pay extra for them, back before the panic of '08.

how many lowers have you assembled?

Feedback Score
    This will be my third. Im not giving up on the lower just yet, but killed the fun assembling the lower.
    Last edited by surfinbird; 06-26-10 at 04:01.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    dont know what to tell you.. i've built at least 6 aeros, probably a couple more. i've never had a complaint- they're one of the cleanest receivers out there.

i wouldn't go spreading bad "reviews" of products that have good reputations based on your experience with this one. if you feel the lower is bad, contact Aero and get it sorted out.

(253) 272-8188

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an Areo lower and find really like it. I would not hesitate to use them in the future.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfinbird View Post
    the metal was very very soft. Not soft where I could bend it with my hands, but soft as applying light pressure with pliers to install my bolt catch roll pin. The lower when attempting to install this roll pin scratched and scuffed severely.
    Thats what happens when you use hardened steel vise grips on a "softer" metal like any aluminum. Thats like saying "this diamond totally sratched my window when I rubbed it all over it".....
    Last edited by 99HMC4; 06-26-10 at 11:51.
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I used a Stag LPK last year or a CMMG lower and the front pivot pin was very tight. Try putting a little oil or grease on the pin and in the channel where the detent rides. It will work in nicely.

Using oil or grease on pins when assembling help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you sure it was the takedown pin holes that were tight and not sharp detent pins? My RRA LPKs had really sharp pins that I had to touch up with a stone, otherwise the pins were a bear to push with my thumbs. Rounding the tips of the pins, and the safety selector detent pin resulted in much smoother action.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not saying it's impossible, but I kind of doubt the lower is the problem.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I used an Aero lower recently based on price and bkb0000's high regard for them, and I was completely happy with it. The mag well wouldn't let Pmags drop free, but I fixed that with the wife's emory board. Great lower, I ordered 2 and they were both spotless and snug fitting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast