Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Defect in McMillin Stock on My GAP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I do say you might be a bit obsessed with cleaning. I clean mine every 200 rounds whether they need it or not.

Maybe not 100, but please shoot 5 groups of five and see how she she runs. Some guns , in my humble experience, don't take well to cleaning and other don't show much variance.

I know you have owned some very nice equipment in the past. What has been your cleaning regiment? Do you clean after every shooting. My partner has been know to, and his cold bore Remmy was dead on. Just shocking.

PB
    OK, I think there is a miscommunication issue. This is an initial barrel break-in as described in the manuals for the PRECISION rifles that I own. It is NOT a routine cleaning schedule, and it is not something that I do for my ARs. Virtually every custom precision rifle manufacturer and ammunition producer recommends a break-in procedure for the first 25-50 rounds depending on the tendency of the barrel to accumulate copper. I have provided links to those shooting schedules in my previous post but they all generally look something like this:

1) Clean after every round for the first 10-12 or until copper fouling lessens
    2) Clean after 3-5 rounds until copper fouling lessens
    3) After a total of 30-50 rounds you will notice minimal fouling between groups and the barrel is broken in.

This break-in procedure is largely done to prolong barrel life, but MAY also help with accuracy.

As for my usual cleaning regimen once a barrel is broken in, it depends on the rifle and its tendency to accumulate copper and fouling. Some of my 308s will go 75-100 rounds before I detect a change in accuracy. My 300 WMs and 338 LMs are more like 40-50 rounds but every barrel is different.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-07-17 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Hmmm, I'm following the recommended break-in that GAP specifies for their guns.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-download.html

It happens to be virtually identical to the break-in that AI, Nosler, DesertTech, and Surgeon recommends.

http://www.accuracyinternational.us/...ANUAL-AXMC.pdf Page 43

https://www.nosler.com/blog/news-and...k-in-procedure

Do you know something that the rest of us don't?

I don't need your links.

Barrel break-in is an old wives tale.

But per your admission, of "break-in", you can't hold the gun accountable because it's not "broken-in".

Just shoot the ****ing gun, man. Stop obsessing over cleaning and break-in. The wives take is a cover-their butt recommendation that is left over from an era before lapping of precision rifle barrels. It's completely normal for a gun to have shift between cleaning because there is residual solvents and you've physically changed the season of the bore.

Any and all guns shift poi/poa after cleaning, including the brands which you've so cleverly linked to.

But what do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There is a big difference between cold bore and clean bore, PB. A gun shouldn't have cold bore shift, but clean bore is normal quite extravagant. That's the only way I can get a shift with my AX...clean it, and it takes about ten shots to settle back in.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by T2C; 04-08-17 at 22:33.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    A couple of thoughts:

1) This thread was about the stock. The customer service was a bit of an odyssey but it's fixed now. Moreover, I thought that I was clear that the accuracy was more of an oddity than an issue at this point, but written coms has its limitations. In fact, my original post from 3/12 specifically mentioned that it was possibly an issue of tiny, residual solvent in the chamber or throat.

2) With respect to barrel break-in, I really don't care where people fall in this debate. It's you dollar and time. Perhaps the most concise explanation of why it may be necessary can be found in this interview with Bartlein Barrels:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=rW6SF-jlbkg

Bottom line - the chamber reamer spinning perpendicular to the axis of the bore CAN leave tiny imperfections in the throat; break-in MAY remove those imperfections. In other words, it is the throats that is being broken-in.

If you don't want to go through the hassle, be my guest. But please don't talk to me about it being a wives tale when the first things asked by George Garder when I discussed the rifle were: 1) What ammo are you using, and 2) How/Did you break it in...?
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-07-17 at 19:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by T2C; 04-08-17 at 22:32.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    There is a big difference between cold bore and clean bore, PB. A gun shouldn't have cold bore shift, but clean bore is normal quite extravagant. That's the only way I can get a shift with my AX...clean it, and it takes about ten shots to settle back in.

Thats a good point, his would be both cold bore and clean bore, dead nuts bullseye. The cold bore deal is critical with hunting guns. My hunting 300 has zero minimal to zero sift.

Sensei , my money is that gun is going to be shooter. Keep us posted, I have a friend shopping GAP and this is important.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Thats a good point, his would be both cold bore and clean bore, dead nuts bullseye. The cold bore deal is critical with hunting guns. My hunting 300 has zero minimal to zero sift.

Sensei , my money is that gun is going to be shooter. Keep us posted, I have a friend shopping GAP and this is important.

PB
    I should have break-in complete tomorrow provided that the spousal element approves...

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    If you don't want to go through the hassle, be my guest. But please don't talk to me about it being a wives tale when the first things asked by George Garder when I discussed the rifle were: 1) What ammo are you using, and 2) How/Did you break it in...?
    I think that's a throw back to the Chrome lined M4Carbine roots of M4C. It certainly is not a myth.

I'm also very glad to see your rifle is doing well. Continue to keep us posted.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A couple of thoughts:

1) This thread was about the stock. The customer service was a bit of an odyssey but it's fixed now. Moreover, I thought that I was clear that the accuracy was more of an oddity than an issue at this point, but written coms has its limitations. In fact, my original post from 3/12 specifically mentioned that it was possibly an issue of tiny, residual solvent in the chamber or throat.

2) With respect to barrel break-in, I really don't care where people fall in this debate. It's you dollar and time. Perhaps the most concise explanation of why it may be necessary can be found in this interview with Bartlein Barrels:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=rW6SF-jlbkg

Bottom line - the chamber reamer spinning perpendicular to the axis of the bore CAN leave tiny imperfections in the throat; break-in MAY remove those imperfections. In other words, it is the throats that is being broken-in.

If you're "breaking in" then why the hell are you complaining about shift? Why is it even being brought up? It's normal!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast