Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marines want lots more M27's

Feedback Score

Marines want lots more M27's

Word has it that this is intended to be the USMC's standard infantry rifle (replacing all M4's).

"The Government intends to solicit and negotiate with Heckler & Koch (H&K), 19980 Highland Vista Drive, #190, Ashburn, VA 20147, for up to 50,814 - M27 Infantry Automatic Rifles (IAR)."

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=0
    Last edited by Slater; 08-15-17 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    This is a step in the right direction.

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-15-17 at 17:35.

Feedback Score
    Much less costly to outfit the USMC with a new weapon, especially using the common service caliber, than it would the entire U.S. Army. Sheer size would make it more doable for the Marines than the Army.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Us army should just get the m27 in 6.5 grendel

Problem solved

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daniel87; 08-15-17 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    I doubt you're going to see a 6.5 Grendel pass a MRBS test anytime soon under field testing conditions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any truth to this article?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-marine-corps/

.......the M27 achieved an average bolt life (measured to the first lug shearing off) in official high round count tests of 6,000-7,000 rounds, and a barrel life (measured to 200 ft/s velocity loss) of 9,000-10,000 rounds. In those same tests, the M4A1 achieved a barrel life of just 7,000 rounds due to its inferior steel and construction (though the carbines continued to group well for thousands more rounds). However, the M4A1 Carbine beat the M27 in bolt life, with an average of 9,000 rounds before lug shear. One M4 bolt even went 13,000 rounds before its first lug sheared....

(article contains description of how the short stoke system evolved - I left it out)

Aggravating this problem, the M27 manual requires that, unlike with the M4, bolt groups be replaced as a unit. This means that when the bolt shears a lug, the entire bolt and carrier assembly must be removed and replaced with a new unit. Ideally, a new upper receiver for the M4 Carbine would incorporate a barrel of similar construction and materials to the HK416, but utilize a mid-length direct impingement gas system to reduce bolt fatigue, increase dwell time, reduce bolt velocity, and dramatically improve cycling characteristics overall.

IDK, the idea of a new upper seems to be fiscally responsible.

Feedback Score
    Alternatively HK could maybe work on refining the gas port size to reduce cycling speed/piston acceleration and accomplish a similar increase in bolt lug life.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Alternatively HK could maybe work on refining the gas port size to reduce cycling speed/piston acceleration and accomplish a similar increase in bolt lug life.
    No.

Marines work best when they are pissing and moaning about being the forgotten ones using old worn out shit. I'm for new uppers on old receivers, but only if the uppers are made to look like battlefield pickups.

Seriously, that is a good thought, talk about a stroke of the obvious, what would it take, some testing to determine optimal port size and new bits?

Feedback Score
    As a former Marine I will admit that I love to complain bitterly about shit gear, lack of libbo, and the Green Weenie. Doesn't matter that I've been EAS'd for going on 13 years.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Lets give every marine a 10lb unloaded IAR and every soldier a 12lb 7.62 battle rifle. Might as well be like this guy and "overmatch" everything.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 08-16-17 at 03:03.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast